“I highly recommend this AWESOME Diving School!!!”
Review of Roctopus Dive

Roctopus Dive
Ranked #5 of 93 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Roctopus Dive, pioneering the future of scuba dive training ... We also teach FREEDIVING to all skills levels and have an award winning Professional Training centre: Divemaster Internships, Instructor courses and Technical diving! The Roctopus Dive team is a young, friendly and energetic collection of dive instructors from throughout the world. Handpicked because of their passion for the underwater world and first class knowledge and experience teaching people how to dive. We promise small group sizes (max 4) for increased personal instruction, safety and enjoyment. The Thai style Roctopus HQ is situated in quiet, relaxing grounds close to Sairee beach, a short walk from all the shops, restaurants, and bars. We can offer customized courses for couples, groups and families, by arranging a diving package to suit your needs. Also take advantage of our infamous Sail Rock Trips (every Sunday) and see the best dive site in the Gulf of Thailand. Come and join the Roctopus Dive family and become part of the sub culture.
London, United Kingdom
“I highly recommend this AWESOME Diving School!!!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I love Roctopus Dive! I did my Open Water and Advanced Course at Roctopus in January 2014. Every staff member is very welcoming. I felt like part of their "family" from the moment I walked in.

They train in very small groups. There were only two of us for the Open Water and three for the Advanced. Especially my dive instructor Tyron from South Africa was amazing. He even picked me up from the port and took us out for dinner a couple of times. Ty made my diving experience very special. He is a legend!

I also like to mention Westy who was very helpful during my time there.

BEST DIVING SCHOOL EVER! Thanks guys, I hope to see you soon.

Visited January 2014
JayRoc83, Owner at Roctopus Dive, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hey there. Firstly, we love you back with all our hearts! We're a family! Thank you for being such a great student. Please come back and dive with us again!

• Hebrew first
Gulfport, Mississippi
“Roctopussi - From an American's view point (hell yeah bro!!!)”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Do you like crystal clear blue oceans, coral reefs, exotic fish, exotic women, breathing underwater? If so then this might be for you... who am I kidding, of course it is for you. And if you don't like any of those things, then something is wrong with you--and you would probably end up doing a buoyant ascent (you'll learn about it in class).

Anyway, Roctopus is more than capable of providing you with the training and knowledge necessary so that you are able to take your first step into the water with confidence and swagga. If you are lucky enough, you'll be put in a group with "Minty" as your instructor. From what I remember he has somewhere around 5,000+ logged dives. Do the math, that is a lot of dives. So you will be in good hands, and a properly fit set of fins. Minty will have you neutrally buoyant in no time, seeing as how he is a pro at guessing how much weight you will need on your belt (Seriously).

The first two days are mainly used to gain the knowledge necessary to pass the final exam for your certification. Of course you will need to be able to demonstrate that knowledge while diving as well (which happens on days 2 and 3).

I highly recommend Roctopus if you are in Ko Tao and plan on getting certified. They are fun friendly people and do a great job of teaching new divers. All joking aside, it was an awesome experience. 10/10 would use roctopus again.

Hell yeah bro!!!

JayRoc83, Owner at Roctopus Dive, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hey Alex, thanks for the review. Im very happy you had such a great experience. I will pass on your comments to miracle man, Minty. Come back and dive with us anytime bro.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“LOVED it!! Couldn't recommend more!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently completed both our Open Water & Advanced Adventurer Certifications with Roctopus Dive and I really can't say enough about how incredible it was. We only booked with them about a day before arriving on the island (thank goodness it was the slow season) and they (mostly Westie, I think) was still able to quickly get us lodging (and even worked with us on finding something with A/C so my husband wouldn't melt at night), they also picked us up right on time from our ferry drop-off, and got us set up to start that afternoon just like we'd asked! It was ideal!!

Then the amazing part started! We met our incredible dive instructor, Mick, who was immediately comfortable and welcoming and kind. It was obvious within a couple of minutes that he is deeply knowledgeable and passionate about the sport - it's infectious. We were really lucky and had him as our instructor all to ourselves for the whole course! I can't imagine doing it with one of the shops that has big groups all training at once - no thanks! In the next few days he guided us through our Open Water Certification with humor, ease and fun. I thought we'd get nervous or struggle at some point but his calm was contagious. He always made us feel safe and secure - even when breathing under water (which is crazy when you think about it). He was a joy to have underwater as well - he'd point out everything and never made us feel silly for being excited about the little stuff (because he was excited too even after 12 years of diving). After the Open Water, Roctopus has this great tradition of having everyone meet at a bar to watch the film created by a videographer on your last day of diving. You have to pay extra to purchase it but it's so worth it - Fey (the videographer is fabulous and puts a lot of effort into it. The night at the bar was incredibly fun and I was amazed at how kind and welcoming all of the Roctopus staff and students were (even the owner, Dave, stayed and had a great time).

We loved it all so much and Mick was so encouraging that we actually decided to continue on to do our advanced adventurer training as well. I am SO glad we did that and I never would have done so without his encouragement! Truly, out of our 4 month honeymoon, the week spent learning for 5 days straight from Mick was among the major highlights!

A big thanks to Mick & all Roctopus staff for a week we'll never forget and a skill we'll treasure forever!

(My only regret is not buying a Roctopus shirt).

Oh and FYI, I'm also REALLY glad we bought our own masks. It's worth the investment and they're great at helping you choose the right one.

JayRoc83, Owner at Roctopus Dive, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hey. Thanks for the review. I am very happy you had such a wonderful experience with us. Micko thoroughly enjoyed the course and often commented on how much fun you guys were to teach! Great job! Please come back and dive with us again.
Merseyside
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing Instructors...Amazing School...Amazing Time!!!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

So I chose Roctopus to do my diving course with and it was amazing. I did my SSI licence with them which was explained to me by the instructors is exactly the same as the PADI course, only difference being you can do stages of the course at different times.

Our instructor was called Dave (aka Big D) and the assistant was called Karl. They made our SSI licence so much fun from the word go, even through the boring paper work and exam. We could always have a laugh with them but they where also very professional at the same time. They both made me and the rest of my group feel very safe at all times before, during and after the dives and would take extra time with us to make sure we understood everything and where comfortable. All our diving including the training was done in the sea which was amazing rather than other companies that do some things in a swimming pool. Dave would go through all the skills and give us a demonstration before every skill to make sure we knew what we were doing. The whole team at Roctopus are also very nice and welcoming.

Another nice touch was that after we completed the whole course, during our last dive we where recorded by someone at Roctopus and they made a video of me and my friends doing skills, diving, getting ready and also throughout the dive. We all met up later that night and watched it in a bar and had some drinks.

I would definitely recommend Roctopuss to anyone wanting to take there diving licence in Koh Tao.

Dean (aka Team Reem)

JayRoc83, Owner at Roctopus Dive, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hey Dean, thanks for the review! Big D would like to say thanks to all of team reem for a fun filled course, he loved it! Safe travels and come back for more diving in the future!
Chiang Mai
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Easier than i thought it would be”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was pretty nervous to dive at first. I actually think i may have a phobia, which explains the 101 questions i asked misty throughout the process. He made everything easy to understand in a practical, hands on way and quickly dispelled any fears i had. All of you at roctopus were very friendly and helpful. I really liked how the structure of everything was heavily focused on safety. Great course!

JayRoc83, Owner at Roctopus Dive, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hey Tyler, thanks for the review. I'm glad we were able to simplify the whole process for you. I will pass on your comments to Minty, it sounds like he did a great job! Thanks for the feedback.