Montalay Beach Resort
  • Restaurant
Tommy Resort(Koh Tao)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewstanote baytaxi serviceshared bathroomtropical fishdive centregreat diving schoolno air conditioningbeautiful baythe hotel offerslovely poolbreakfast was includedrent a scooterdiving coursefun divesbeach baropen waterbeach front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a few days in Montalay Resort in February 2013, we had free accomodation in a bungalow included in our PADI diving course. Our instructor, Ben, spoke many languages fluently, was very nice and funny, and we felt like we really had a quality training. We enjoyed the theory course and the dives very much, and also keep excellent memories of the bungalow and the helpful staff. The food we had was really good, as well as the fruit shakes, although we dined out of the resort most of the time to explore different parts of Tanote Bay, just to have as many different experiences as possible. There are many other nice places you can access from the beach. All together we thought it was a really good deal, enjoyed our stay in Montalay Resort a lot and would totally recommend to stay there for the PADI diving courses.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

First of Thailand is above all amazing and once you experience it for yourself it truly makes for wonderful stories to tell. Some friends, that I just met, and I were so pumped on doing a diving course we didn't really review anyone but ended up at the perfect place with the perfect people. I could say timing or fate? But what we had out of the diving instruction and how it accommodated to us was purely unbelievable. We did a advanced course and saw moray eels, scorpion fish, blue dot rays, cuttle fishes, and so much more on our night dive as well. I would say this place is definitely the place to come to because its a more secluded part of Koh Tao, when being taught how to dive you don't have a million other people with you, great equipment, amazing staff, amazing teachers who care about what you are doing, a beautiful beach that you could do some epic free diving and rock jumping off, be safe and look at where your landing, and just the overall vibe of the place was outstanding.
Montalay is one of those places you say: "Thank you for the memories and all the good times!"

Room Tip: Didn't stay in a room but when you dive the accommodation is included in the price which I wouldn't mind sleeping on a floor after how much fun I had from diving.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This place is something straight out of a dream! We had a stunning time here. It is really beautiful and set in the jungle. Make sure to walk up the hill and listen to some Thai Reggae at "Jah Bar." Massaman Curry was to die for. The accommodation is simple but clean. I would take a jungle cottage if you want to feel lost in time!

Room Tip: Jungle Suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LunaSwart
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at Montaley beach for 12 nights and had a thoroughly good time. Our room was spacious and very clean with a good bathroom and excellent balcony with glorious views over the sea. Breakfasts were good although the eggs on the buffet were always cold......even when we went down very early!

The swimming pool was always clean and a pleasure to swim in.

The beach is lovely with mostly soft sand and some areas that are shaded by trees. Snorkelling was enjoyable. The hotel transfer service from the port is interesting as you travel in the back of a pick-up truck!

Unfortunately, the hotel restaurant is fairly expensive for dinner, compared to other restaurants just a few steps along the beach.

Some of the staff were friendly and helpful but, unfortunately, others seemed that they "couldn't care less".

We hope to return to Koh Tao and will definitely stay at Montalay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marjory1
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed at Montalay for 5 nights. At first, I felt apprehensive from the negative comments about staff attitude on TA. I have to say, yes sure, some of the staff can be gruff but nothing more so than what I have experienced on other holidays. That said, more warmth and friendliness never hurts the business! Given it was low season, Montalay seemed pretty full so the facilities and quality of the resort seem to speak for themselves.

ROOM

Booked a Superior room, which are the newer rooms. Splendid for the price we paid. Great design, large bed, regularly changed towels, clean toilets, soap and shampoo provided, flat screen TV with surprisingly crisp resolution, HBO HD, FOX movies etc. Balcony overlooks lush greenery and a glimpse of the sea. My room was right in front of the Wifi router so connection speed was pretty decent. Wifi drops rather frequently but I found that if I refreshed my wifi signal, the connection comes back on easily.

Note that the resort is built on a rather steep slope so the nearest rooms - Superior- require a bit of a walk up a steep slope (you will see pics of this slope on other reviews). Some of the cottages are even further up the slope. There are stairs next to the slope so that may make the climb a bit easier. There is also no phone in the rooms so all requests have to be made at reception, which can be a real bother given the steep climb. This made it hard to order room service, massages or request for housekeeping. You only get 2 complimentary bottles of water every day. Extra 1.5L of water is available at reception for 30THB, cheapest in Tanote Bay that I have come across. Alternatively, get a 6L (54 THB) bottle from 7-11 at Koh Tao pier.

RESORT

The pool was a welcome respite from the sea. Several deck chairs positioned around the pool meant that there was always a deck chair available. Deck chairs were also available on the beach. However they are rather uncomfortable as they aren't full loungers. Some guests chose to skip over to the other resort on the left of the beach for their full length deck chairs.

Massages can be requested for from reception. 350THB for 60min of thai massage in their new, clean, spacious, airconditioned room was very enjoyable. The oil massages were more expensive at 650THB/hour. Masseuses goes home by 7pm, which is a bummer because we usually like to get our massages at night in order to maximise sun-catching time!

Breakfast was substantial. Food was pricer by about 20-40THB per dish. Menu was limited. I didnt try out the food at Montalay. Instead, we preferred the food from the other resort on the left (Family Tanote Bay) to the diners on the right of Montalay. Beware the old ketchup bottles at FTB though. Gave me food poisoning.

DIVING and SNORKELLING

Initially we considered diving with Master Divers due to the positive reviews on TA but we realised that getting to and from the dive centre from Montalay by cab (and on your own expense) was going to be too much of a hassle. We eventually chose to dive with Montalay at 1800THB for 2 dives with all equipment.

Diving was amazing at Shark Island. The amount of fish was impressive. Some of the best dives I have done in a while. Art, our dive guide, was friendly and helpful. He also gave us use of the fins for snorkelling at no extra charge for the duration of our stay! :)

I noticed that Montalay also had 2 airconditioned classrooms for those interested in taking their PADI dive license. Equipment was also well-maintained. I would recommend Montalay dive centre.

Snorkelling can be done right off the beach. The entire bay is filled with plenty of marine life! One will not be disappointed. This was also the reason we chose to stay at Tanote Bay instead of Sairee or other beaches. I sighted a blue-spotted ray, garoupas, triggerfish, angel fish, baby reef shark, and tons of other fish. Snorkelling round the headland on the left of the beach (in front of FTB) and on the right of the beach was in my opinion better than right in front of Montalay. It is also easier to get into the sea from those areas away from the shallow coral.

If you are looking for R&R, seclusion and great snorkelling, Montalay is the place to be. Would return.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are the newer rooms. First floor rooms are closer to the reception and beach if you dont like to climb up the steep slope. Second floor rooms, although a steeper climb, have a slightly better view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple