“Excellent location, huge room”

Sun Smile Lodge Koh Tao
Ranked #6 of 74 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, huge room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, big room, all rounder for the money. Staff helpful, good wifi connection in room. Very short walk to beach and bars etc only thing I missed was not having a pool but that's just because sand drives me insane!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank missmaths

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ardrishaig, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

It was a great stay in a great location but I can't help but focus on my last day. A couple of holiday makers came into to use the Internet and the staff were very rude and unpleasant to them because the Internet was very expensive. It may be wrong to judge this place on something I didn't experience myself but I didn't always feel uncomfortable around the staff as if walking on eggshells. For example I had laundry done and was over charged but felt scared to say anything. It's also pretty expensive, I wish I stayed somewhere else. I am very easily pleased and its rare for me to write a negative review

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kate S
Hamburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

we mentioned that there is mold in our bathroom and the wifi did not work, there was no other room but we still wanted to stay because it was only for 3 nights. Still the next morning we got kicked out of our room, the manager got more and more aggressive and showed unfortunately a totally diffferent face of himself. We were even more shocked when we found out that he sent someone after us the night before to observe if we were checking other places to stay. We had been travelling for 9 months so we could tell the good or bad value and became very open minded in giving feedback to our hosts. After this I have to give my feedback here because there is much better value in Sairee Village (e.g. just opposite, very modern and with breakfast included) and I think one should not deserve business by treating guests like this. Otherwise the rooms are spacious and bright.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JostHamburg
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights before I started my diving Open Water course and was glad I did. It is in a reasonably quiet location, a mere 5 minute walk to beach. Rooms are large with reasoable amenities such as relaible Wifi and Cable TV and are kept spotless clean by a caring and welcoming staff, who truly try hard so guets have a memorable stay. For an unpretentious guesthouse (not a 5* star hotel) this could be excellent value in Koh Tao.

Room Tip: Got the room on the Top Floor and was there having the top floor all for me.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Madjid A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

Perfect huge room with even a corner with a sofa.
Tea and coffee set in the room, cable tv, fridge,aircon and hot water
The service with Cha the manager will be a great memory, they even provide beach towels and free transfert to the pier

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank volkerbr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights and wished we could have stayed much longer. The owner and every staff member are lovely and very helpful. Felt very at home here.

Positives:
* Close to the beach (1 min walk) but away from the noise.
* great clean rooms that get serviced daily
* owner greets you by name (always nice) and helps with any tour bookings
* room was massive with big fridge
* free pick up and drop off to ferry (can't beat that!!)
* Lap top computers to use

Negatives:
* beds are on the harder side but not as hard as some mattresses we've encountered on the south East Asian trip
* wifi slow at peak times
(Obviously both very minor complaints)

Next time we're in Ko Tao will book here for 3 weeks!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Kiwisexplore
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Only stayed for 2 nights as had already done 3 on the other side of the island but wanted to be in Sairee where the action was. A decent hotel, the guy that's runs it is very very acomadating and will help u with everything. The only slight negative and this is me being fussy was that there was always a musty smell in the room.
That said would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012