“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #57 of 77 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Island of Malta, Malta
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I walked past the Lotus Paradise and thought it was a good idea if I could get a seafront top floor room in this very elegant building right on the seafront. Although overpriced, I managed to find one, luckily for one night. First surprise was that there is no lift to the third floor, however the worst was yet to come.
After a pleasant night out, my wife and I went to our room, however the music coming from the surrounding bars was unbearable. We kept hoping hat it would end soon, however it went on and on 'till 3 30 am.
Bottom line Lotus Paradise = Noise

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful but noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Bath
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Unfortunately this was my worst night in Ko Tao.
I had to find a room last minute so was given a room in a row of 5 or so tucked around the back of some construction works.
I was knackered so had to settle for this well furnished but smelly double room. The brown tiled bathroom had plenty of mozzies so I ran in and out of the funky looking shower.
At 5 am a drunk guy was bashing angrily on next door's door and then went round the back to the window. As a solo lady traveller this was not fun. The row of rooms was tucked away and no one was around to oversee the crazy banging dude.
The guy who helps runs the place was friendly and the resort has a really nice pool and (slow) wifi and a good little bar where many a gathering popped up. The people who were partying on Ko Tao were generally out for a good time without too much drama. This was not enough to stop me from packing up at 8am and getting away as quick as possible.

Room Tip: don't get one of the rooms round the back of the construction, eek!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lauren k

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We originally booked to stay elsewhere on our trip to Koh Tao but the original place was grim. Luckily this place had space for us to book in immediately and they gave us a sea view room. We were able to view the room first and it was excellent.

We found it to be a bit pricey as we were used to having a similar standard room elsewhere for a much lower price but we paid it anyways. The staff were reasonably pleasant but they didn't help us up the stairs with all our bags (which you would have expected in a place you pay this price for). They also demanded that we leave our passports as deposit for the room which I wasn't entirely comfortable with but they were returned to us safely at the end of our visit.

Lotus paradise has it's our bar, spa and restaurant and we had a few drinks in the bar one night which was good and very reasonable prices.

Other than the cleaners coming into our room to try and clean when the do not disturb sign was clearly on the door the stay was ok, nothing spectacular and nothing out of the ordinary amazing but it was a decent room, really good shower although the air conditioning leaked.

The noise from the bar across the way can be heard but there were a few power cuts which meant the 2 nights we stayed the party ended early. We never experienced the power cuts during the day though luckily.

Probably wouldn't stay here just down to the price of the hotel but if you are staying in Sairee Village this is probably the nicest hotel you will stay in.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anonymous2508
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The Lotus Resort was the last part of an island hopping journey through Southern Thailand. Found this place on-line, liked the pictures of the "resort" and booked two nights. The check-in process was awful!!! None of the 8 staff members, who were all just standing there, had a clue or wiling to help! The mountain/garden view bungalow was a joke and pretty pathetic!!! The bungalow smelled of urine, the add-on bathroom at the rear of the bungalow had a 3 inch gap which allowed any creature to roam the bathroom floor. The shower occasionally spit out some water, which made taking a shower almost impossible. I decided not to stay the second night a the Lotus. I told the hotel staff that I was going to check-out early and requested my passport back. I was asked to sit on the couch while they "checked me out". 30 mins and three more requests later, I was finally given my passport. Koh Tao is a small island but there are plenty of other hotels, bungalows and places for rent...do yourself a favor and book at other places for accommodations...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TSB_2013
Port Stephens, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Booked it on pagoda.com which does not show pictures of the "mountain view rooms" and I guess for a good reason, they are up behind the service station across the road from the resort. My room had bed bugs and I got bitten all over! The common area is small and constantly full of smokers! And it is the only place you can get wifi...or should I say only log on to the network because that is pretty much the extent of the Internet. The staff are actualy nice in the reception of the mountain view part, but this does not make up for the downfalls of the is place. Look around a bit for a nice bungalow up the beach from here and your stay will be much nicer on Ko Tao!

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Blng101
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Booked this hotel for 4 nights with 7 friends two had booked an ac room but the rest of us booked fan. When we arrived we was all upgraded to ac free of charge which we thought was amazing. When taken to our room which was next to the path to the beach we also thought great how wrong could we be. The rooms absolutely stunk one morning we had 5 minutes rain when we returned the sewage had come up through our shower and flooded the whole bathroom it absolutely stank I went to reception who was quick to send someone out to 'fix it' they came in and literally stamped on the drain and left the smell was horrendous I told reception nothing was done. The pile up of rubbish outside the door added to the smell it looked as though it had been piled up for weeks. Not once was our room cleaned or attended to in the the 4 nights we stayed there we payed £140 for the four nights in Thailand that is a lot and for nothing. The only good thing about this hotel is the pool and the lotus beach bar and the central location for sairee beach. Koh Tao is my favourite island in Thailand I love it stay anywhere else but here my friends stayed in a £10 a night bungalow next door and was better than ours.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The place looked nice, it's close to the beach and downtown. But it's not well maintained. Bathrooms are gross and the bed kinda weirded me out. Really loud music plays til 6am! Better deals around for sure.

• Stayed January 2013