See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Except from noisy neighbors (yeah, yeah, this is a untz-untz island I know, but it is still cool to be able to sleep at night), I really liked Prick-Thai. At first, I came here because that was the accommodation my diving school was offereng, but I ended up staying here for almost two weeks. My bungalow was clean (no cockroaches, soho!) and the location very good if you want to be close to Sairee Beach but still not on the "worst" party spot. The woman in the reception (they were two, and I mean the younger one with a little daughter) was a warm, kind and very helpful person (which actually is a bit uncommon on Koh Tao, haha). For beeing on Sairee Beach, the price was good. And when I wanted to have my room cleaned, I just had to tell them. I like that, because sometimes it is not necessary to change sheets for example (bad for the environment and actually just weird).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarasusername
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The perfect base for divers! We had a basic fan room but Koh Tao is not unbearably hot at night so this was fine! The value for money cannot be overstated, the location cannot be beaten and the lady who runs the place made us feel completely welcome! Close to the beach and restaurants and pubs, as well as moped rental places and shops, we had a great 5 nights here! They also do laundry, which we unfortunately only found out on our last day! A perfect, affordable base for divers!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This place was very basic, but as it was free with our diving course at new way diving (5 nights) it's hard to complain. It was acceptable, but I wouldn't stay there again, mainly because the room was so hot.

The room #105 is on the ground level. It included a double bed with bottom sheet, fan, mirrored wardrobe, hot shower (though hot water is not necessary because of the heat), 2x towels, toilet, 1x toilet roll, small sink with mirror, and a small balcony with two chairs and a small table. Reception open 7am-5pm, though I noticed they sometimes closed a few minutes earlier.

Good things
- Close to Sairee Beach and 5-10min walk from new way dive shop
- Cheap, quick laundry service, brought back very clean and folded the next day for 40baht/kilo
- Free basic fan room with dive course
- No noise at all from drunk people despite being in a very central location
- Bed fairly comfortable
- Owner will get up early for you if you need to check out early (we had a dive at 6am)
- Very few insects

Bad things
- Though close to Sairee Beach, our room wasn't actually on the beach, nor could you see the water from the resort. You have to cross the road and pass a dive shop. We went to another resort's restaurant overlooking the water nearby and watched the sunset each day which was spectacular
- The room (105) was very hot and stuffy with poor ventilation. It was always hotter inside than outside. The air vents appeared to be clogged with dust. Very hard to spend much time in there during the day- horrible when I had foid poisoning and had to stay there all day
- No mosquito net, though there weren't that many mosquitos
- It's more than double the price of the fan room to upgrade to aircon (fan room 600 baht, aircon room 1300 baht)
- Wifi not free
- No housekeeping, so bins, sheets, towels etc not changed for 5 nights, unless you go to reception and exchange them
- Bath mat was just a small rag cut off from a towel
- We only got one roll of toilet paper for 2 people for 5 nights, and they are about 50c each at the local shop
- Very noisy rooster lives in the resort and likes to crow from 5am
- There is no top sheet/blanket for the bed, just two small pieces of cloth that didn't cover our whole bodies, + the bottom sheet was loose and always came off during the night
- There is a safe box at reception but it is only big enough for passports, phones, wallets etc, not laptops. So you'll have to risk it and leave your laptop in the room, or carry it around with you, which isn't ideal
- No fridge

I was also a bit annoyed on our last day. We had a dive at 6am so couldn't check out at 10:30am as required. We told the lady at reception and she kindly offered to get up an hour earlier so we could check out at 5:45am. Unfortunately my partner had food poisoning when he woke up, so he couldn't do his last dive. I explained to her that he needed the room until 10:30am now rather than 6am, and she seemed annoyed and complained a few times that she had someone booked to check in at 10am now. I'm not sure what she wanted me to do, tell my violently ill boyfriend to wait outside on the street with no access to a bathroom from 6am until 1pm when we could check into another place, so her next guests wouldn't have to wait for an hour? I just told her we'd paid til 10:30am and that it wasn't our fault that he was sick. The situation was stressful enough already without her complaining about it.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here after we finished our Open Water course at a nearby dive school.

We were a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews but the price (500 baht for a large fan room) and location (steps from the beach) were perfect.

We were so pleasantly surprised. Rooms were basic and clean, but you won't spend much time there. Staff was so great! They were so friendly and accommodating. They even booked us a 5am tuktuk to get us to the pier this morning.

We didn't see any bugs in the rooms at all. Fan was great! I know they have aircon rooms, but it was cool enough that we didn't need it.

Very secure. Deadbolt and padlocked.

If you're looking for a clean room at a low price in THE location, this is it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst diving with Roctopus. Had an AC room, thing the majority are fan. Very happy with the accommodation. Very clean and secure. The rooms have 2 locks and had no concerns about security. Good location and very quiet at night despite being close to several bars and restaurants etc.
No pool but one is under construction and due to be completed in December 13.
Only negative is that wifi was slow at best and often off.
Great Thai restaurant, Coffee Boat, only yards away.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family