“Bad location, terrible bungalows, rude staff at the reception”
Review of Koh Tao Hillside

Koh Tao Hillside
Ranked #102 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
“Bad location, terrible bungalows, rude staff at the reception”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I don't recommend anyone to stay at this resort because of the following:
1. smell in the bungalow (humidity?) is terrible. We have stayed there only 2 nights although paid 5!!!
2. nothing to do, nowhere to go (hotel shuttle takes you only one way! three times a day) so renting a motorbike next door is a must!
3. garden view means looking at the next bungalow 2 metres away...
4. there is no closet in the bungalow!
5. staff at the reception rude (when asking for the queen size bed instead of twin, they said that we haven't stated that while booking and is our fault to have twin bed....
6. the hill to get to the reception is killing your knees! not recommend to small kids and older people!
7. the restourant in the hotel is expensive (maitai 220, small singha 120, breakfast 200...)
8. i would recommend ko tao only to divers, because it is expensive to rent a room that is half a quality as in other islands across thailand... on the other hand if being there (not as a diver) there is absolutely nothing to do.... not nice beaches...

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank petra55555

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at the Hillside resort and were shocked this hotel still gets a regular flow of guests. Lets start with the good points however.

Positives: Great welcome staff from the ferry - we got a free transfer to the resort in a truck (with no shock absorbers) and the driver and general staff were fantastic - we really loved them. The reception team seemed a bit off from the beginning but I put that behind me. The views from our seaview rooms were incredible and the restaurant served good food.

Negatives:
The initial feeling going down the hill on the golf cart that was that of a rollercoaster ride which was fun for me but had my wife and her parents feeling very vulnerable - the "road" is narrow and extremely steep. We wondered, once we were down at our rooms, just how we would get back up and out to go and see the rest of the island.

It rained while we were staying there and while this is ok - the ant farm that poured into our house was not. about 500 - 600 big red ants came inside and crawled over everything. My shoes were sticky from killing them and my wife was afraid so at 11pm I walked up (again) the stairs to the restaurant, in the rain, and asked for poison to kill them. This somewhat slowed them down but I had to jam towels in the door to stop more from coming in - I didn't get much sleep that night.

Two floorboards broke when I walked on them (I am a reasonably sized man - 90kg) and the toilet leaked all night.

The next morning I asked the reception where the manager was and immediately got bluntly told, without being asked what was wrong or if they could help, to walk back down the labyrinth of stairs I had just walked up. The stairs and hills are no joke people. Then I asked if she could please call him up to meet us. another blunt and rude, no. I asked why and she could not give an answer - when we started to walk away to the manager they then quickly wanted to know what was wrong and I then became angry. Basically a full blown argument erupted and it was completely unavoidable. The front staff are terrible terrible creatures and have put me off from ever recommending the resort.

The private beach they advertise is riddled with broken glass and snorkelling there is horrible because of all the pollution (packets, bottles lying under the surface)

You get the feeling that the resort is trying to lock you in or cut you off from the rest of the island and getting you to use all their facilities at their premium prices, which is exactly what happened to my in laws and their friends (all 50+) they could not handle the hills and stairs and were very nervous in the golf cart. Wifi is also only available at certain lobby areas, which you will sweat to get to.

The rest of the staff were great, possibly the only other complaint is that 100 baht for a normal coffee (not espresso) is a bit much to ask for in Thailand.

The two stars are for the view and the rest of the team.

A great exercise camp - a bad holiday destination.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room - I could not imagine going to this place without at least having a good view. Al...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vaughan M

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This three-star hotel has nice rooms (bungalows) and a nice restaurant. The view from the restaurant is perfect! Also, the staff is friendly, the service good, and they offer free transportation to the Village and to the pier.

However, the location is off. There is nothing at this location except for a whale fossil (not much to see). It is worth the extra 20 % in price to stay closer to the "city", I think.

But the really bad thing is the infrastructure for the visitors. The hotel is in deed built on a hillside, which is very beautiful, but also extremely steep. I'm talking never-ever-before-seen levels of steepness. I'm in excellent shape, but could not move briskly for my life (normally I sort of run stairs and other rises for the exercise of it). Also, some of the million stairs are dangerous. Nothing is even: the stairs are slanted and of different height. This would never be approved in Europe, that's for sure.

If your're going for the view, the food, and reasonable cost, then this is very good. If don't want to be isolated from the beach parties, restaurants and what have you; if you don't like working up a sweat evert time you need to go anywhere within the hotel, climbing stairs, then this will be a challenge.

The receptionist had her answer ready, when I mentioned my surprise about the stairs. You'll be fit when you leave!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Koh Tao Hillside for a couple days and were completely amazed by it. Definitely spend a little bit more and upgrade to the ocean view - you won't regret it! The ovean view rooms have amazing views and are bigger than garden view ones. They also have private decks and are a great place to watch the sunset.

The two restaurants have great views as well and one of them sits right over the water! The meals are tasty and fairly priced.

One word of caution: the resort is made up of a network of steep stairs (it's practically on a cliff). So if you dislike exercise this place isn't for you; we are pretty fit and we were sweating going up them. In the end you enjoy the stairs as you definitely get your daily workout in.

We were extremely satisfied with our stay and would recommend it to anyone! (Unless they can't go up stairs haha)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Akasch
bkk
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Hotel room quite old and small, no bathroom door. towel change every two days. I got charged 30 bath for asking to change it. Reception said she forgot to tell us when we check in. Food quite nice, chef cook lot of things we asking for even not in menu. A bit pricey but we so satisfy.

Room Tip: Seaview room is newer, bigger and nicer. Towel change every two days. Buy in package is cheaper.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Really beautiful hotel! The staff were really nice, the food was great and it's a super quick long tail boat ride to Nang Yuan Island, which is a must-see! The sunsets were incredible and the sitting areas and restaurant provide a really pleasant place to view them. Nice sunning deck and pool and there's also a tiny beach if you want to get in the water. It's a close taxi to town. For what we paid for we were very pleased with our stay and I would love to go back again. Koh Tao is amazing!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stay there six night on February. We had bungalow with garden view. Bungalow was quite small, but nice and clean. Breakfast was very good and versatile. Staff were friendly. There was also really nice swimming pool with nice sea view. There is not so much parking space for scooters and someone can feel that there are too many steps to climb. Overall good value for your money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple