“Awesome!!”

Apnea Total - Day Courses
Ranked #38 of 97 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Apnea Total Koh Tao is the headquarters for the network of Freediving schools based around the world, it is an independent organization established in 2003, and the first freediving school in Southeast Asia operating for over 14 yrs. Monica Ganame (Argentina) and Eusebio Saenz de Santamaria (Spain) are the founders, the duo and their team are internationally recognized freedive instructors with vast experience in competitions, training and freediving education. Apnea Total has featured in the countless media publications worldwide that identify the school as the most reputable centre for freedive education and training. Their qualifications include dives deeper than 100 meters and static breath-holds of over 8 minutes. The Apnea Total Team promotes freedive education and safety from beginner to instructor level. To date, over 12,000 students have successfully completed Apnea Total courses. Currently there are schools teaching AT system worldwide.
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I did the course in September having being meaning to do it for months before. Had the lovely Silv as my instructor for the novice course and it blew my mind! Being a lover of bottled air and although having plenty of scuba experience, I have never been comfortable underwater without a reg in my mouth, probably the main reason i wanted to do this! And wow! I made it to the bottom of the 20m rope on the second day! Silv was very patient and knowledgeable when I struggled with equalisation, being able to provide alternative options to overcome this. Everyone should do this!

There are newer reviews for Apnea Total - Day Courses

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Done the freediving course (first level, 2 days duration) in October 2013. It was an amazing experience. During the morning (9 to 11 circa) you do the theoretical part that includes breathing tecniques and safety instructions, and then you have more or less 2 hours in the water in a bay 10 minutes drive away on the other side of the island. I imagine the location may differ depending on the season. We were 6 or 7 doing the course and you have an instructor for each 2 of you.
Truly a nice experience with very skilled trainers. It was fun!
Just a note about the course (at least the basic i have done): do not expect to swim like a fish at 10 or 20 meters and see the beautiful underwater world around you. Most likely you will see the deep blue and nothing else while following the line down.Be prepared!

2  Thank Assad17
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Free diving instructors were amazing and very professional. During two days free diving course I got to know my body and limits much better in water. This experience exceeded my expectations and it really got me interested in free diving world. All credits to Apnea!

1  Thank Anna K
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Did the lvl one freediveing course when i was visiting Koh tao. Had a very good time and learned so much. The teachers and crew were all excellent.
Hoping to go back some time soon to take the advance course.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

At the beginning I was very afraid to do freediving, but the moment I got in contact with Apnea Total I just wanted to get in the water.

It has been one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable activities, as well as challenging both for my body and my mind. My instructor was Silvia, and I couldn't have asked for a better teacher! She was so patient and made me feel very confident permanently, helping me reach the targeted 20m!! I couldn't believe it.

I has trouble equalizing mi right ear, thus being unable to reach 12m the first day, but Silvia just kept giving me new alternatives to try, until I was finally able to reach the bottom. I was so happy. I also had trouble with my duck dives and after several tips and practice dives I was able to finish off with a nice 20m duck dive, but it cost me!

Overall it has been one of the best experiences ever. I learned how to exceed my mind to new limits (80%mind 20%body in freediving, for me) and feel the reward. It was truly magnificent. It would have been possible without Silvia's patience and great teaching skills!

Thank you Apnea Team so much. Your passion and love for this sport made me want to become an advanced freediver whenever I go back home.

2  Thank Juan Pablo E