“Awesomeness”

Apnea Total - Day Courses
Ranked #26 of 90 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Apnea Total Koh Tao is the headquarters for the network of Freediving schools based around the world, it is an independent organization established in 2003, and the first freediving school in Southeast Asia operating for over 10 yrs. Monica Ganame (Argentina) and Eusebio Saenz de Santamaria (Spain) are the founders, the duo and their team are internationally recognized freedive instructors with vast experience in competitions, training and freediving education. Apnea Total has featured in the countless media publications worldwide that identify the school as the most reputable center for freedive education and training, including the travel guides of Lonely Planet and Guide du Routard. Their qualifications include dives deeper than 100 meters and static breath-holds of over 8 minutes.The Apnea Total Team promotes freedive education and safety from beginner to instructor level. To date, over 7,000 students have successfully completed Apnea Total courses. We hold two day beginner courses (Freediver, Static Apnea Clinics, a three day Advanced freediver course and the 4-5 week Masters course which covers every discipline involved in freediving.Our students are certified to such a standard that some have even gone on to open schools of they're own, such in Indonesia, Malaysia, Honduras, Panama and Maldives.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesomeness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Been a dive Instructor for years and was looking for something a bit different, so I signed on at Apnea Total in Sairee on Ko Tao for the Freediving and advanced courses.
Classroom sessions were light, friendly and very informative.
Water sessions were calm with no stress and 1 Instructor to 2 students (Freediving course) and 2 Instructors to 3 students (advanced course).
Tobin was our Instructor on the Freediving course and was helpful, constructive and reassuring. Thanks Tobin for an awesome introduction into Freediving and boosting confidence when goals were achieved (20 meters).
Static course on the advanced level was so interesting, never thought that I could hold my breath in the water for just over 4 minutes.
David and Nikki were our Instructors for the advanced course, they had the same relaxed and easy going / fun attitude as Tobin has.
Time to head to the water, I was a bit apprehensive about 30 meters but managed 27 meters on exhale breath dives and 30 meters, with a pause at the bottom of the line, on full lung dives.
Overall Apnea Total has an excellent team with informative Instructors who give you the boost and confidence that is required.
Total thumbs up experience and recommend to one and all to come and try it with the Apnea Total team.
Thanks again Apnea and be back in a couple of days for more practice with you.

Visited March 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Great tuition and a surreal experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Trained for three days with Silvia from Spain - first two days free diver course and then the one day static course (first part of advanced course). Wasn't easy to learn but a great experience and came away amazed at how long I could breath hold after just a couple of days. Very impressed overall.

My only caution would be if you want to see a lot of coral / aquatic life you need to do some snorkeling / scuba too as the course I did was very skills focused and you are on a static line so you won't see a huge amount in your first few days (not a criticism - just reflects the skills focus of this course in the first few days).

Visited March 2014
Kathmandu
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A surreal experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I wanted to say thank you to Tobin and the crew at Apnea Total (especially Camila and Rick) for giving us such an amazing experience. My partner, Jo, and I recently completed the beginner free diving course with Apnea total. We both made it to 20 meters, which was way deeper than we thought we could go after 2 days. I did the static apnea class as well, and achieved a breath hold of 2:48. Another guy in my class held his breath for 4 minutes. I enjoyed my experience with Apnea Total so much that I dedicated an entire article just to the beginner course on my travel blog (http://dirtypawsblog.com/2014/02/20/freediving-a-deep-sense-of-euphoria/). If we had been staying longer than 2 weeks I definitely would've continued free diving with Apnea Total. Thanks for an awesome time. Cheers, Chris and Jo.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Chris F
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I did the beginner two day course at the beginning of Feb this year and chose this company after researching all the options on the island. I had a great impression straight away, even from the first email I sent them. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and genuinely happy to have you there and learning what they obviously love to do. It is a small school and everyone gets personal treatment and made to feel important which is quite different from some of the scuba dive schools on Koh Tao.

The course itself I found really interesting and so much fun. I was really impressed by how much easier it was than I thought! In the mornings of the two days we did theory and breathing techniques in the classroom and both afternoons we went out to the sea to work in the water and practice what we had been taught. I really liked the way the instructors would encourage you to achieve your potential but always stressed not to push yourself too hard and to make sure you were always relaxed. They made it clear that the aim was not to get to the bottom, but to get more confident in the water and become aware of what your body was capable of, while enjoying it at the same time. Saying that, if they saw you were capable, they allowed you to go that bit further which was great.

I was a bit sceptical that I could get to 20 metres at first but I managed it on the second day and it was surprisingly easy! I'm sure most people will surprise themselves as to what they are able to do on this course, and all without feeling stressed or like you are pushing yourself at all.

People have mentioned in reviews that they would like something to see while diving, and although that would be great, what these guys are teaching is the basics of free diving as a sport, which does involve following the rope down. However, you can easily go away afterwards and use these really useful techniques when you are snorkelling or swimming in the ocean to spend more time in the water having a look around... which is what I did around Koh Tao after the course and it really made me more confident about diving down and not scared to stay down, I will keep practicing and hope to keep improving!

The only thing I would have liked to do differently is to practice more of the kicking down with the fins on the second day rather than just pulling down the rope as I found that technique more fun and satisfying. However, I'm sure the instructors know what they're doing and have their reasons for this!

Also, don't worry if you are a little nervous because all the instructors will look after you really well and never make you do something you are not comfortable with. Plus, I'm quite sure you will be able to do it better than you think! Thank you guys, it was a great course with great people and I would love to come back one day to do more!!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Sarah_Smaje
Mooloolaba, Australia
“Freediver course - begginers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

This course definitely worth what is paid for. The techniques are well taught by the instructors and it is totally comfortable the way that they guide you in the ocean showing the freediving techniques. Well done, guys, thanks!

Visited January 2014