“Great food, but the lack of flexibility and average atmosphere lets it down”
Review of Banyan Bar

Banyan Bar
Ranked #65 of 183 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Great food, but the lack of flexibility and average atmosphere lets it down”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Now don't get me wrong, as a non-diver I appreciate a place that actively prevents 'dive talk' because I don't care much for it either, however I do prefer some talk...which you will get none of your first few times here.

The food is great, of what I've had so far. The owners obvious aversion to vegetarians has made me unwilling so far to order their veggie burger as I cannot bring myself to order what they call the 'Wimp Burger' but their Sunday roast is massive and really tasty and I have ordered their chips, cheese and gravy many times now.
However I do prefer to take away as the atmosphere is not very welcoming and not AT ALL PG-rated.
I have a daughter and whilst I am not too bothered taking her in there, regulars have actively voiced their issues with there being a child there, which is off-putting.

Don't bother asking to change anything about your order, they apparently have no control over their chefs and what is on the item description is what is going to appear on your plate, no matter what you want.

• Visited August 2013

Manchester
“Friendly little bar”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I visited this place twice while I was in Koh Tao. The first time I was greeted by Sam, a great chap who served me almost as soon as I sat down. The second I met up with some mates for a drink.

Banyan has a fantastic atmosphere and isn't what you expect from a bar on the island. The floor is a mixture of slabs and woodchips, the bar is decorated with all sorts of intriguing knick-knacks and customers get a free t-shirt if they can come up with a new cocktail.

Overall a superb little place, definitely worth a visit.

Visited July 2013
Surat Thani, Thailand
“Great food, great value”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have eaten here on many occasions. Food is really very good. English breakfast is probably the best on Koh Tao. proper bacon, delicious fried mushrooms and very good toast. For some reason it is difficult to get a proper English breakfast in Thailand. At the Banyan you will not be disappointed.
Pork chop with mashed potato and cream sauce is my usual dish here. Just perfect. Also worth mentioning their interesting burger recipe. I have tried a few of them and all very impressive.
There is a lively bar at Banyan Bar which is usually busy from mid-morning onward. Very suitable for the early drinker and attracts a younger crowd.

Visited May 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great food on Koh Tao”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Our favorite bar on Koh Tao. We had our first proper Sunday roast here. It doesn't sound like island food, but was delicious.

The bartender, Amy, is hilarious. We loved her.

We also rented a scooter from them one day. 200 baht for 24 hours. From what we heard, they're the only place on the island that doesn't try to cheat you out of money.

Loved Banyan. Wish we would have found it earlier in our trip.

• Visited July 2013
Ban Ko Tao, Chumphon, Thailand
“Banter banter, great food, and many a good night”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

If you have something about yourself, come here for great humour, the fantastic menu, and some of the craziest shots available. Do not come here if you are easily offended or wear a speedo. chances are you will be heckled!

They have just added a deli menu as well, but my two favorites are the Sunday Roast and the lasagne. There is a newly added deck area so a bit away from the bar if you want to chill out a little.

Do not expect modern pop either here, get your big boy trousers on and get away from the overplayed repetitive cheese that infiltrates the sound systems all over SE Asia.

All in all, this place rocks

• Visited May 2013