“Best place to rent a bike in koh Tao”
Review of Banyan Bar

Banyan Bar
Ranked #65 of 205 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The place is run by two relaxed British guys. Rented a bike here and the owner didn't want a deposit of passport, was honest and said that he wasn't bothered about cosmetic scratches, but if I broke anything or had a flat tire take it to be fixed before bringing it back (loads of cheap mechanics shops everywhere in koh Tao) that's easier and he wasn't going to charge people loads if they fixed it themselves (like the locals may do - £60 for a wing mirror!!?) - if not he would only charge the local mechanics rate.

I'd spent the day touring some beaches and coves, and final beach of the day, right on the east coast - I lost the only key to the bike. I was sure they would have to charge me a lot for the key replacement and trying to retrieve the bike, I managed to ring them and they were more worried about how'd I get to civilisation from the @r$e end of no where. From one tiny shack / restaurant, a lovely woman got her husband to use his truck has a taxi, and we managed to get to the bike in the back of the truck. I got the bike back, and the owner didn't charge me a thing! Said he was glad the bike was back, because that could be tricky, and would have charged me a couple hundred if he had had to retrieve it. Unbelievably nice guys, and very humbling, because any other bike shop would have taken all my money, and my credit card to pay for it. I wouldn't use anyone else to rent a bike! Amazing.

2  Thank James P

Reviewed 11 August 2014

If your on Ko Tao on a Sunday night, you need to eat dinner here. The Sunday roasts they do are amazing. Its a huge serving of a traditional English Sunday roast including a Yorkshire pudding. The place has a real buzz about it and having gone back another night for drinks, its clearly a popular place on the island.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This bar is great if you want to escape your average annoying teenage travel crowd, it has great food, live music and drinks!! It's a very chilled and a great place to go and socialise, would highly recommend!

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Introduced to this place by a Canadian dive instructor living on Tao and very glad he did. Great live music and big tasty burgers. Busy place even in the low season, friendly staff and epicly named drinks. Go and pay them a visit to find out

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I can honestly say there is no other bar quite like Banyans. Take the family along for an evening that wont be forgotten anytime soon.