“Peaceful place but too many problems” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baan Talay Koh Tao

Baan Talay Koh Tao
Ranked #45 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Singapore, Singapore
“Peaceful place but too many problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We chose New Heaven diving school and this accommodation beforehand and because it seemed ecofriendly option. We think the diving school does important work for the ocean and so does Baan Talay, but it still has too big problems that I could recommend it.
When we arrived this place, it first looked like paradise and away from hustle of busy beaches. Bathroom was really really nice!
First we had to buy overprized drinking water – nearest shop or other restaurant is 1 hour away on foot. Then we really felt like swimming in the ocean after long journey to Ko Tao….
We really agree with this previous comment from bluesfan89:
“Heading down to the water you have to navigate a winding and steep set of steps before trying to climb down a disused dirt road, probably as much as 5 tricky minutes in total. Still, that was not the end of the world. Getting to the water however, that was. The secluded area is essentially just a set of dirty and slippery steps in to a rocky patch of water. Trying to navigate my way in I was knocked over by the strong waves, leaving me with multiple cuts to my arms and back as a memento.”
but in that time we didn’t even try to go to the water. It seemed to me, while staying 3 weeks after this in Koh Tao that this kind of weather is quite usual.
Then there was more disapointments coming. We actually agree with Bluesfan87 about everything really.
The staff was friendly but like bluesfan87 said, there is strange feeling… The food we ordered was not so great and a bit overprized. Nothing like what there is elsewhere in Koh Tao. But if you stay here… you have to eat your dinner here if you don’t have a scooter. And actually, even if you have, you must be a good driver, the road is really extreme!
In a couple hours we decided to leave next day. But more was coming… When it was getting dark, we went to our bungalow. This was most expensive accommodation during our visit in Thailand so I was amazed to see A BIG RAT inside the bungalow. It came from one of the holes between roof and the wall. We tried to scare it away, but I knew it could come back at any moment.
Actually, I am use to all kind of little friends, like cockroaches, ants, mice, spiders, but never I have seen before this big rat inside any room! I told about this to one worker in Baan Talau and he laughed to me and said, “Yeah, all kind of little friends we have here.”. In that time I felt a bit embarrassed, maybe it wasn’t so big thing at all? Or was it?
So they didn’t even apologice about happening, no discount from the room, no anything. Only they made me felt like I would be some diva from the big city who cannot stand day in a forest. Actually day in a forest is common to me, I am wilderness guide back at home – I JUST DON’T LIKE RATS INSIDE MY 800Baht bungalow.
There is a plenty of nice bungalows in the Island starting from 400 Baht, next to the ocean and near of good restaurants and sandy beaches so I cannot really recommend this one…
Unless you really want to meditate on your own. And with your hairy friends:)
But I still want to say that this place has a good potential to become a really nice place!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank anni v

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in beautiful baan talay for four nights and then moved to a bungalow right on chalok beach belonging to the same owner.
Baan talay is a beautiful tranquil resort nestled in the hills of Ko Tao with fantastic sea views. The bungalows and the resort overall (we stayed in a seaview hut) are finished to a very high standard and with great love to detail. I loved how nicely it blends into the surrounding nature unlike so many other development projects on KoTao. The treehouse bungalow was lovely, with a comfy hammock, spacious terrace and very nice open bathroom with hot power shower.

The wooden bungalows are build in Thai style on stilts and being so close to the jungle and having an open bathroom you do get the occasional visitor from the surrounding wildlife - so that is something you shouldn't have a problem with when staying in the tree houses :).

The absolute highlight for me was the spectacular deck area of the restaurant overlooking the bay and shark island-it does not get any nicer than that! The staff is very friendly and the food in the restaurant is also good. Good choice and decent prices.

I read the other comments about the sea access. I personally didn't mind the decent to the bathing area and didn't have trouble getting in and out of the water. But I went on a quiet day with not many waves and see how it can be a bit tricky to get in on a wavy day. However - I really liked the snorkelling (they provide snorkelling equipment free of charge) and the nice well kept sun bed area. It is a very private beautiful spot to sunbath and relax.

As other reviews mentioned this resort is a bit secluded - so I'd recommend making use of the daily shuttle service. Ban talay is perfect if you have day time activities like diving because it is the perfect place to come back to and relax after an eventful day. If you want a bit more choice and bars/restaurants and other facilities (e.g. Thai massage) around you, ask Dev for his new beach front villas right on chalok beach. We stayed there the last two nights and the mixture of quiet baan talay (while diving and on the first day for relaxing at the sea front/snorkelling) and lively chalok bay was just perfect. The beach front villas come with a private pool facing the sea - quite spectacular and very good value for money.

We also did an open water diving course at new heaven dive school - small groups, very competent and friendly instructors - highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahSydney2011
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Hello Sarah, thank you for taking the time to write about your time with us at the Baan Talay resort, i am always so happy when our guest enjoy there days there and appreciate our concept of living with nature. So often these days tourist come and completely change the very environment that they come to visit, we do our best to preserve and protect the wonderful koh tao island, thank you for supporting us and we hope you and Pat can come again for another visit.
Guidel-Plage, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

We stayed 4 nights at Baan Talay. Globaly the resort is nice, clean and remote, and remote, and remote... Unfortunately the beauty of the place, the kindness of the staff could not compensate for our disappointment.

No luck for us, because of a strong wind coming from the east, it’s been impossible to get in the water at the sea front area. To be more precise getting in the water could have been feasible, it’s getting out of it without breaking our neck that was the problem. Beside the fact that the trail to reach the place is quite steep, not to say abrupt, getting in the water as been impossible. Disappointment one!

Thanks to the free shuttle to the dive centre, I managed to go for some diving. The all idea for my wife and me was (understanding the remoteness of the place) that while I was underwater my dear love would benefit of the yoga classes at the resort. There is any yoga class at the hotel! Despite the nice picture and text on the website (I quote : At Baan Talay and New Heaven we are teaching and practicing yoga...) Only at the dive centre, and not every day, and at 17h30, so what ever you do, you are obliged to take a taxi to get back! Disappointment two!

Ok never mind the yoga, we will have a nice Thai massage (as it’s said on the website!). This is too easy, there is no Thai massage at the hotel, it’s too remote no massage practitioner come so far! Disappointment three!

Because it is remote (I think I’ve already said that) you have no choice but to try at least once the hotel restaurant. It’s nice, good food and relaxing… If you are OK to order what they have. Don’t think that what is on the menu is what you can order, it would be too easy! So forget the squid, anyway it’s not the season (Hummm! We had some lovely one on the beach later!). Disappointment four!

The room are lovely, clean and comfortable, we slept very well. I suggest, if it’s possible to had a sort of mosquito door on the front so we could leave the door open at night without letting all sort of lovely little animals getting inside and such getting the benefit of nice fresh air…The bathroom are adorable.

So I would say that the website is very well done, that marketing is extremely well managed by the owner but that reality is quite different.

Despite our disappointment we had a very nice time at the resort, and would have spend our entire time on the island at the same place, but because we could not do all what we have expected (as seen on the website) we’ve decide to move to another place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Hello Ronen, sorry to hear about your disappointment at our place, however i am sure you would agree the 800 baht a night you paid cannot really be beaten for the standard of accommodation, quality of bed and sheets, towels and location of restaurant. decor and style. Where on the island can you get a resort like that and pay only 800 baht for the room ?
Let me run through your disappointments and give your our perspective.
1. Getting into the water is not impossible, of course when you come to the island you are only here for a few days, so if there is big waves, which it seasonal, getting in and out of the water can be difficult and on a few days of the year impossible as you say. Remember when you visit us it like you see a snap shot picture of the island and not a running video. In fact the aow leuk bay is one of the best snokelling areas of koh tao and for 6 months of the year the water is like glass by our beach front area. When you write comments such as
'To be more precise getting in the water could have been feasible, it’s getting out of it without breaking our neck that was the problem.'
People reading that assume there is some sort of tsunami going on which of course is not the case.
2.On our website site we clear state that the daily YOGA classes take place at the dive school, and that we have retreat YOGA courses going on at the Baan Talay Resort, the next retreat course is on the 26th of Feb, would your wife like to join ?
3. Being on an island it is not always easy to get all the products and produce that you can find on the mainland, occasionally we have a shortage of certain items however as you said we always serve good food and there is plenty of choice. It sounds to me like some people just like to complain, i wonder what your other reviews are like ?
The Baan Talay is a new resort and we understand that it is not perfect yet, we do our best to provide a good service with a hight quality room and a view to die for, if this is not your cup of tea, then maybe you should give your tourist money to other resorts that chop down all the nature and don't put any effort into protecting and preserving the environment.
For 20 euro's a day i wonder what kind of room, food, service and view you could get in your country ?
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights. At first we were just going to stay during our PADI certification course at New Heaven Dive (which we would also highly recommend!). But after seeing our room, the view from the balcony, and the beautiful concrete outdoor shower room, we immediately decided to stay at Baan Talay for our whole time on Koh Tao. The staff was very friendly, the food was delicious, and the views are stunning. We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a quite and relaxing stay while on Koh Tao. It's quite a contrast to the busy beaches at Mae Haad and Sairee.
The shuttle to town and from town was convenient. Tom from the resort also picked us up from town later at night for a taxi fare that was much more reasonable than what drivers in town ask for.
We also rented a scooter which was a great way to get around and see the island, but beware the road in and out is steep and you'll probably want a manual scooter in order to have enough power to get up the hill, if you're doubling!!
We also chose a room without AC and did not regret it. It was very comfortable at night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Hello Guys thank you for sharing with others, the most important think for us is that our guest enjoy there time and stay with us, we are happy when they do and disappointed when Baan Talay is not their ' cup of tea".
It great to hear that you enjoyed the view and food, the friendliness of the staff and of course the wonderful nature, we hope to see you again at Baan Talay, our aim is to be one of the finest resorts in thailand, we may not be there yet but it so good to hear how you enjoyed your days there already.
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Baan Talay is a very nice Place for people, who wants to relax and enjoy the nice sea view! Not big and very relaxing. Very nice people, very good food. Very nice relaxed atmosphere. The Bungalows are all from wood. We had the Sea View Bungalow with bathroom with cold/warm water (and you can see the sea while you are taking your shower), a big room with bed and a big suning deck with a nice sofa. The restaurant is open air and you can relax and eat under the sky with amazing stars. It is in the middle of the Nature, build in the rocks, and you can hear the waves of the ocean at the sun deck. The best is, you are renting a Scooter or Quad, then you are free to come and go there. The Scooter is 5 Euro per day. The road to go there is conret road untill the last meters but still you can manage with the Scooter or Quad. Quad is from 15 Euro/day.
Conected to the resort is the new heaven diving shool and yoga centrum. They are situated in the next city and from Baan Talay there is twice a Taxi for free to go there/come back. Devrim and his team are giving a friendly, familiär atmosphere and we really felt home after short time. We went diving with them and they are really professional in this. We didn`t had stress at all, even we where three groups on the boad. There where never more then 4 People for one Dive Master-what a differens to Ägypt :-) They have international languages like french, spanisch, englisch, türkisch and german.
We spend a very nice time in Baan Talay!

Room Tip: There are two Bungalows with direct Sea View and suning deck. Ask for it !
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you so much for a wonderful review, i have said it many times on these responses already, but we are so happy to hear that our guest enjoy our place, we want to show people how life can be simple and wonderful, how to enjoy the beauty of nature and all the colours and surprises it brings. Thank again for letting us and others know how your enjoyed your days at our place. I hope you enjoy all your future days as much.
Toledo, Toledo, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed at Baan Talay during my christmas holiday and what an amazing place to be.. the bungalow sea view huts are very nice,the toilets have a very unique design and spotlessly clean.. The restaurant has a large terraced area with the view of shark island koh phanghan and the ang thong national park on a clear day..and at night had a wonderful star filled sky,The staff at the resort are very friendly and willing to help you with anything you need.. Foods are excellent...Spent lots of time on the sun loungers at the sea front taking in the sun and had a thai massage with a massuse provided by the resort,only 300thb, snorkling was also great,i read the other reviews and i personally had no problems with the steps into the ocean.. I will definitely go back and recommend it to my friends. a big big thanks to all at Baan Talay

Room Tip: sea view huts beautiful..
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary Ann G
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Hello Mary-Ann, thank you so much for your lovely comments, its always so good to hear that our guest enjoy the views and nature as much as we do. Its not only the views and scenery that make the place, its also the people who come to stay with us that add the the atmosphere and ambiance of the resort. Thank you for coming to stay with us, we hope to see your wonderful smile around here again soon. Thank you taking the time to make a review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed at Baan Talay whilst we were taking our Padi OW course at the New Heaven Dive School. The dive school arranged the accommodation for us, and at a discounted rate as we were taking the dive course at the same time.

I do not know where to start………the place is incredible!!! The resort really is in the middle of nowhere, and is only accessible for 4x4 which is a bit bumpy, but once you get up there, you will not be disappointed. We stayed in a seaview hut which is lovely. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed comfy with a good mosquito net above it, the open air bathroom and shower was great and the balcony with the hammock and the sea view was fantastic! It is worth noting that rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis, however should you need anything (fresh towels etc), the lady who looks after you while you are there (Mimi) is always happy to help you.

There are no restaurants or bars near the resort, so you have to eat in the resort. Fortunately Mimi is a bit of a genius when it comes to dinner! In all the time I was in Thailand, I can honestly say I never ate better food! What is also great is that despite the fact that there is nowhere else to eat, the cost of the food and drink is the same as you would find in any restaurant in the built up areas of the Island.

There is also a secluded beach area at the bottom on the hill…………..the walk back up can be difficult but it is well worth it! There is no sandy beach, just some large rocks with steps leading down into the water. Make sure you take a snorkel and mask with you as once you look below the surface you will realised you are right on top or a lovely reef teeming with fish and coral!!!!

The best part of Baan Talay for me was the large terraced area at the front of the resort which has an amazing view out to Shark Island. At night when all the lights went out the hill is lit up by the stars!

A massive thanks to Dev (the owner) who arranged our stay, and also helped us extend the length of our stay, Stuart who was always a friendly face around the resort, and to Mimi who made such good Thai curries!

We would regularly see all sorts of wildlife around the resort, and the only noise pollution you will have to put up with at night is the sound of the sea and the creatures in the trees!

If you are looking to get away from the crowds, spend some time with the nature and want to stay somewhere that genuinely wants to look after their guests, go and stay at Bann Talay, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks for the memories Baan Talay!!

Amy & Steve

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve1758
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Hello Steven and Amy, thank you so much for your lovely comments, and for being relaxed and easy going guest. We really do enjoy it and it makes all the effort worth while when our guest enjoy our place as much as we do. We hope you can come back again soon, enjoy your days and keep the new heaven feeling with you.