“You will not regret it.”
Review of Baan Talay Koh Tao

Baan Talay Koh Tao
Ranked #34 of 148 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This resort is stunning. Here is the top few reasons you won't regret this resort!
1. The staff. They are there to give you an amazing experience. From the minute Dev picks you up at the dock to the moment you depart you are treated as family and cared for.
2. The food. The food at the resort is great! I preferred the Thai food, but the pumpkin burger was amazing! Drinks are available and your view while eating can not be missed.
3. Free transfers. The resort is out of the way, this makes it completely quiet, safe, secure and relaxing. At 8:30 am, 1:30pm there is a free taxi to island centre, at 5:30 you can take a free taxi back
or you can stay around and take a paid for taxi back. If you are a late night partier, perhaps this is not the perfect resort for you.
4. The view. Stunning awe inspiring.
5. The sea. Right at the bottom of a "work for it" hill there is some seriously amazing snorkelling. People pay a lot of money for a boat to bring them to this bay. You go for free. ( careful! It's nature! This is not dinsneyland! You have I work for this experience to the sea.... Won't kill you!)
6. Quiet. Oh so quiet.
7. Eco resort. This means that the environment is important! This means you don't get shiny new sheets and towels every day. This is not to be stingy! This is because phosphates and grey water are hard on the earth! Keep koh Tao clean!
8. Outdoor bathrooms! So stunning
9. Creatures! Toad, fruit bat, ciciadas, geckos included free of cost and at no bother to you.
10. Paradise. The small details of this resort are none other. You can really feel the love and attention to detail here.

I would have a wedding, yoga retreat, family reunion, honeymoon (perfect for that!!!!) here!

Great work Baan Talay!

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The resort is great. They have an excellent resturant area with good food. All of the resort is surronded by a lovely nature and it is completely calm and quiet even when the island is really busy.

I rented my own bike and that was just perfect, it is easy to access if you have some driving experience.

The owner of the resort also have a great dive shop, New Heaven Dive School, and will give you a discount on your accomondation if you dive with his shop. They dive in small groups, have no maximum dive-time and a good crew.

All thogether the time spent in Baan Talay was great, reef in the day and resort in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank franztborg
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was great. Really relaxing and it feels like your in the middle of the jungle with all the wild life.
The rooms are great even with the fan.
The only thing that they didn't have clean bed sheets after 2 nights so we had the same sheets for the 3 nights which is done but you would expect more.
The food was great and very cheap for what you get. The whole area here is fantastic here and the place is beautiful!!
They also have a free drop off to the town and pickup which saves a lot of money !!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Thanks to my friend in Istanbul i got in touch with the owner Devrim and had a chance to stay in Baan Talay...We were suppose to stay in Koh Tao only for 2 days but after spending time in the island we fell in love and stayed 3 more days both in Baan Talay and also in the seaview rooms...Both rooms were great, the food in Baan Talay is very delicious, the atmosphere is amazing and everyone working in Baan Talay and New Heaven Dinving scool are so friendly.
Hopefully i'll get a chance to go back to Koh Tao soon...Enjoy ur trip

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We spent 3 nights here to unwind and enjoy being alone in nature. The resort is set high on the hill overlooking the ocean and each Balinese style chalet has magnificent sea views. Everything about the place is designed to just unwind and enjoy nature from the lovely open air bathrooms to the hammocks on the porch. The sea is a bit of a trek to get to but has a lovely lounger area with a great reef to snorkel on however the time we went the water was very rough so access was tricky. The remote location means that you can't just come and go as you please so you have to plan your days in advance to take advantage of the free shuttles. The restaurant s pretty good and you can enjoy your dinner on a lovely deck looking up at the stars. I would recommend a few days at this resort if you wish to enjoy some solitude and peace!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We chose New Heaven diving school and this accommodation beforehand and because it seemed ecofriendly option. We think the diving school does important work for the ocean and so does Baan Talay, but it still has too big problems that I could recommend it.
When we arrived this place, it first looked like paradise and away from hustle of busy beaches. Bathroom was really really nice!
First we had to buy overprized drinking water – nearest shop or other restaurant is 1 hour away on foot. Then we really felt like swimming in the ocean after long journey to Ko Tao….
We really agree with this previous comment from bluesfan89:
“Heading down to the water you have to navigate a winding and steep set of steps before trying to climb down a disused dirt road, probably as much as 5 tricky minutes in total. Still, that was not the end of the world. Getting to the water however, that was. The secluded area is essentially just a set of dirty and slippery steps in to a rocky patch of water. Trying to navigate my way in I was knocked over by the strong waves, leaving me with multiple cuts to my arms and back as a memento.”
but in that time we didn’t even try to go to the water. It seemed to me, while staying 3 weeks after this in Koh Tao that this kind of weather is quite usual.
Then there was more disapointments coming. We actually agree with Bluesfan87 about everything really.
The staff was friendly but like bluesfan87 said, there is strange feeling… The food we ordered was not so great and a bit overprized. Nothing like what there is elsewhere in Koh Tao. But if you stay here… you have to eat your dinner here if you don’t have a scooter. And actually, even if you have, you must be a good driver, the road is really extreme!
In a couple hours we decided to leave next day. But more was coming… When it was getting dark, we went to our bungalow. This was most expensive accommodation during our visit in Thailand so I was amazed to see A BIG RAT inside the bungalow. It came from one of the holes between roof and the wall. We tried to scare it away, but I knew it could come back at any moment.
Actually, I am use to all kind of little friends, like cockroaches, ants, mice, spiders, but never I have seen before this big rat inside any room! I told about this to one worker in Baan Talau and he laughed to me and said, “Yeah, all kind of little friends we have here.”. In that time I felt a bit embarrassed, maybe it wasn’t so big thing at all? Or was it?
So they didn’t even apologice about happening, no discount from the room, no anything. Only they made me felt like I would be some diva from the big city who cannot stand day in a forest. Actually day in a forest is common to me, I am wilderness guide back at home – I JUST DON’T LIKE RATS INSIDE MY 800Baht bungalow.
There is a plenty of nice bungalows in the Island starting from 400 Baht, next to the ocean and near of good restaurants and sandy beaches so I cannot really recommend this one…
Unless you really want to meditate on your own. And with your hairy friends:)
But I still want to say that this place has a good potential to become a really nice place!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anni v
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in beautiful baan talay for four nights and then moved to a bungalow right on chalok beach belonging to the same owner.
Baan talay is a beautiful tranquil resort nestled in the hills of Ko Tao with fantastic sea views. The bungalows and the resort overall (we stayed in a seaview hut) are finished to a very high standard and with great love to detail. I loved how nicely it blends into the surrounding nature unlike so many other development projects on KoTao. The treehouse bungalow was lovely, with a comfy hammock, spacious terrace and very nice open bathroom with hot power shower.

The wooden bungalows are build in Thai style on stilts and being so close to the jungle and having an open bathroom you do get the occasional visitor from the surrounding wildlife - so that is something you shouldn't have a problem with when staying in the tree houses :).

The absolute highlight for me was the spectacular deck area of the restaurant overlooking the bay and shark island-it does not get any nicer than that! The staff is very friendly and the food in the restaurant is also good. Good choice and decent prices.

I read the other comments about the sea access. I personally didn't mind the decent to the bathing area and didn't have trouble getting in and out of the water. But I went on a quiet day with not many waves and see how it can be a bit tricky to get in on a wavy day. However - I really liked the snorkelling (they provide snorkelling equipment free of charge) and the nice well kept sun bed area. It is a very private beautiful spot to sunbath and relax.

As other reviews mentioned this resort is a bit secluded - so I'd recommend making use of the daily shuttle service. Ban talay is perfect if you have day time activities like diving because it is the perfect place to come back to and relax after an eventful day. If you want a bit more choice and bars/restaurants and other facilities (e.g. Thai massage) around you, ask Dev for his new beach front villas right on chalok beach. We stayed there the last two nights and the mixture of quiet baan talay (while diving and on the first day for relaxing at the sea front/snorkelling) and lively chalok bay was just perfect. The beach front villas come with a private pool facing the sea - quite spectacular and very good value for money.

We also did an open water diving course at new heaven dive school - small groups, very competent and friendly instructors - highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahSydney2011
newheavendiveschool, Owner at Baan Talay Koh Tao, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Hello Sarah, thank you for taking the time to write about your time with us at the Baan Talay resort, i am always so happy when our guest enjoy there days there and appreciate our concept of living with nature. So often these days tourist come and completely change the very environment that they come to visit, we do our best to preserve and protect the wonderful koh tao island, thank you for supporting us and we hope you and Pat can come again for another visit.