“Amazing view but secluded location.”
Review of Baan Talay Koh Tao

Baan Talay Koh Tao
Ranked #32 of 142 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The view at Baan Talay was absolutely stunning. We had a great, new, clean room with great balcony and bathroom. The eating area was also great with a space just next to it for yoga held once a day.

Despite this, we cut our stay short here as it was very difficult to get to and from the location. It was at the end of a very bumpy dirt road which could really only be traversed by a 4 x 4 car. The hotel provides transfers from the rooms to the diving centre (closer to shops etc) three times a day but that last trip back to the rooms from here is at 5pm. Any transfers outside of this time will cost you 300Baht and you have to be able to phone the driver to collect you from wherever you may be to bring you back. We had difficulty getting other regular taxi drivers to drive us back to the rooms after we had been out for dinner in town as they did not want to drive down the bumpy road to the resort location.

There is also no sand beach within walking distance from the resort. Just some large rocks that you can climb over to get to the ocean.

Alternatively Baan Talay owners have accommodation that is directly across from their dive school. This is a great location, where you can access the busier areas further north of the island as well as many beaches by just renting a scooter/motorbike for 200baht/day. This location is still very quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of the main area and is the same price as Baan Talay. You have a lot more freedom staying somewhere close to the dive shop unless you don't mind staying at your resort every night or paying 300Baht per trip to get home after 5pm.

The yoga was quite nice including AYP Integrated style yoga at the resort in the evenings and more of a Hatha style held at the dive school during the day and in the evening. Yoga was also available at other locations in Koh Tao which were more suited to the style of yoga that I liked so I didn't really go to the classes here more than a few times. Diving was great and gave the option of taking a day off during the 3 day training course to take a break and have a rest from the water.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view it is beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DMJP126
There are newer reviews for Baan Talay Koh Tao

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in February. Got involved in the yoga and open water course. Both were excellent! One of the most stunning views I've ever seen. Which may be a big call growing up in NZ, but there it is. The grounds are exceptionally kept. Its seems a world away from the madness of Sairee. However if you ever need to get to the much preferred Chalouk (south end of Ko Tao) there on time reliable shuttles leaving 3 times a day.

We will defiantly be back. Perhaps for the advanced open water course!

Courtney

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Courtney K
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed from the 22 January 2014 until the 31 January 2014 at the Baan Talay Resort and can only recommend this place! I wished I could have stayed longer as it is remote, peaceful, beautiful and with a stunning view.

There is a free taxi transfer 3 times a day which gives you the possibility to go "down town" without even renting a scooter. I rented one just to be more flexible with the time but could have lived with the taxi only too.

The food was delicious and the ladies really made it look great and served it nicely.

I stayed in the bit more expensive hut and its absolutely stunning, clean and made with a great eye for details. The room is being cleaned daily and there is a good laundry service available as well.

I went there for yoga and the teacher/owner of the place is simply a fantastic yogi! As well the classes at the dive school were first class and the view over the bay is lovely. I rarely felt more relaxed and at peace after a yoga lesson.

So simply a great stay, I will be back one day!

Martina

3  Thank Chris_the_Chef437
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights/days mid December 2013 (beginning of our honeymoon). Breathtaking view (on top of a hill), super nice staff, very homey feeling (common areas feel like your own), nice food and drinks. You really feel you have a classy bungalow in the trees (we had chosen the seaview suite). If you combine your stay with diving classes at New Heaven Diving School (which we did), then you really will have made the most of your stay at Baan Talay Resort (free shuttles 2/3 times a day to the diving school). There are also daily yoga classes, facing the ocean, amazing.

On the very little downside: difficult road to get up there, no sandy beach accessible directly from the resort (there is however a rocky beach down the hill, nice snorkelling area).

But we DEFINITIVELY recommend the place!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ronaki A
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I recently moved to the north of Thailand and was missing the sea so I asked around for a quiet island. I'm not interested in full moon parties, drunken backpackers etc, what I wanted was peace and quiet with access to restaurants, shopping and diving. I found the perfect spot at Baan Talay.
On the way from the dock the road turned into dirt and the driver shifted into 4WD to take us over a brief rough patch and finally over the crest of the hill to the property. I was greeted with a breathtaking view of wild country overlooking the sea, and when we arrived I was delighted.
I stayed in one of the Sea View bungalows, a lovely Teak hut with a gecko or two for company. It was quiet, with a stunning view of the bay below.
The restaurant offered simple Thai dishes, some western food, all well prepared and delicious. I was there for diving and they offered a significant discount to use their dive shop - New Heaven - and I was glad I did. Professional, good equipment, knowledgable and friendly staff.
I enjoyed Baan Talay so much that I never did explore much of the island. I was content to dive during the day and relax in the evening. I recommend it without reservation.
Two small negatives - the coffee at the restaurant was instant, they need a good espresso machine and someone trained in it's use. The huts did not include a hot water kettle so I couldn't make my own. Small complaint, but for those of us who love a good cup of coffee worth mentioning.

3  Thank PatrickInChiangMai
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Fell in love with Baan Talay the moment I laid eyes on the stunning view from both my Seaview Suite and the common chill out area. If you are looking to get away from busy city life, and also peace and quiet after a day out or diving in Koh Tao - then this is it. Complete serenity and peacefulness in the evenings and an incredible view to kick start your morning. Devrim was a jem and I loved the evening yoga as the sun sets. The staff were friendly and helpful. Some great private snorkelling with abundant fish and coral life at the bottom of the hill .... For me, Baan Talay was exactly what I was looking for.

2  Thank LisaB_Kiwi
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Baan Talay is heaven for nature lovers! The resort consists of a small number of bungalows located right in the jungle on a mountain top in Koh Tao. The view is truly magical, and the only sounds you hear are the many birds and geckos singing in the trees. A 10 minutes’ walk down the mountain brings you to the bay, filled with colorful tropical fish and coral. You can jump right in from the boulders where the resort has a few sun beds and enjoy the snorkeling (if the weather is not too windy, when it can get too wavy).

The bungalows are small and simple, but nicely designed. It’s very good value for the money I think. They really are in the middle of the jungle, and some of the huts already have permanent occupants: Tokay Geckos. However, they are harmless and kind of cute (although sometimes a bit loud at night....). The bathroom is outdoors and its a special feeling taking a shower looking up into the trees.
The owner and staff of the resort are wonderful people. Nice, warm and we really appreciated the relaxed atmosphere.

As the resort is remotely located, it is most convenient to dine there. You can of course take a taxi to town, but the road is very steep and bumpy, so you need nerves to travel at night.
Being foodies, we thought this could be a downside, but were pleasantly surprised by the food, which we thought were much better than most of the restaurants down by the beaches. Try the curries, which are delicious. The fruit drinks are always freshly made and the coffee is good. When you've ordered, the staff leaves you to dine alone, so if you want something more, don't hesitate to go looking for them. They are the nicest people you can imagine, but the service is not like in the five star resorts, where the staff stays around staring at you while you eat. This is a more laid back, relaxed place.

I loved this place and hope to come back. Thanks Devrim, Carlos, Roxanna and all the nice girls with the beautiful gold make up!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple