SB Cabana Bungalows
US$443
US$398
  • Breakfast included
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$47
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
US$72
US$64
Koh Tao Simple Life Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$50
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$47
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$209
US$196
US$70
US$65
US$113
US$90
Agoda.com
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$27
US$26
Hotels.com
US$176
US$81
Trip.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 November 2013

After coming back from the beach picked up a towel from the bed and discoverd urine stains underneath it!
At the recepcion I had to talk for 15 minutes before they wanted to give me new ones.
When I got them they were dirty as well.
The lady at the recepcion told me if I did not want to stay i could check out. When doing this she refused to give my money back.
After talking again 15 minutes in a verry hostile maner i got clean sheats and did not check out.
The bath room still smelled after urine.
Worse threatment ever in friendly thailand

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I was staying at Ban's for a dive course and when it finished the management at the resort moved me to SB Cabana 2 as there wasn't any room at the resort for the next couple nights. After the first 2-nights I was offered another room at Ban's but chose to stay at SB Cabana 2. Really, this was mostly because I was concerned I might get kicked out of Ban's again if I stopped taking courses or diving as full-moon was coming up and they were expecting no-vacancy. Despite what I say below, I chose to stay and would probably make the same decision again.

The single biggest reason I stayed with SB was that they wouldn't kick me out as long as I kept paying for the room. I wasn't sure how long I wanted to stay and didn't want to commit to a time-frame, so this was extremely convenient and suited my needs. Moving rooms was a hassle I wanted to avoid. Ban's held onto my passport while I stayed and I paid at Ban's using a CC.

I'm not entirely sure if SB Cabana's is the same as SB Cabana's 2. SB Cabana's are located a little closer to Sairee than SB Cabana 2 which was across from Moon Burger about 100 meters closer to Ban's. SB Cabana 2 has at-least 1 ocean front (with a view) bungalow attached to another bungalow on the beach without a view. Friends that stayed at SB Cabana's said their places were much worse, but I was the only person I knew with an Air Con room. My friends staying at SB Cabana called my room 'Shangri-La' or 'The Palace' so, by others' standards, my room was pretty great. If I recall, some didn't have sheets on their beds and ended up buying beach towels, but that could have been an isolated case.

I stayed in an air-con room for almost 3-weeks. I'm pretty sure it was 6B. The AC system worked really well, in fact too well for my tastes. By the 2nd week I needed to keep it off at night as my throat was in really rough shape (could have also been the diving and partying - but it got a lot better quickly when I stopped sleeping with AC). I felt like I was paying an arm-and-a-leg at 1500 B. but the room fit my basic needs.

There is a small desk/drawer and a stool at one end of the room (with a mirror) and my bed was either a double or a queen. The mattress was uncomfortable (I'm not used to a spring mattress - I'm spoiled I guess) but I never had any back pain or stiffness in the morning. There were 2 pillows, a bottom sheet and a comforter. Personally one of the biggest disappointments about the room was the cleanliness of the linens. There were stains all over the comforter, which I missed on my initial survey of the room as it was folded. They didn't seem very recent, but I was definitely a little grossed out with this. The bed was pushed against one wall. I doubt there'd be room for more than 2 people in the room, but it's possible you could cram a third person into the bed. My room had 2-windows and the cloth shades were good enough to keep most light out. There was one outlet in the room and it accepted North American plugs.

The bathroom is pretty small, but had everything you need and a few things I didn't want. The bum gun was great, the room was NOT supplied with toilet paper when I arrived. SB is close enough to well-stocked convenience stores that this shouldn't be a huge concern if you use toilet paper. The shower head was located almost directly above the toilet (very convenient). I had a problem with my hot water after a few days and they had it fixed by the next day. The drain for the shower was located at one end of the room and it drained directly onto the ground underneath the bungalow. The sink was good enough and I recall there being a small mirror for shaving.

There are no screens over the drain, the sink had a gap that seemed to leave open spaces for bugs to crawl from under the cabana into the bathroom and there were slotted windows (really just vents) near the ceiling. Even with all these openings, I didn't see many bugs in the bathroom, with the exception of ants. There were a TON of ants. I kept the door closed to the bathroom, separating it from the room and didn't have much of a problem either losing air or with ants coming into my room. If I had known I was staying as long as I was, I would have probably bought some insecticide, which could have been acquired easily in Sairee if not Mae Haad.

The balcony had a small table and 2 comfortable chairs and I overlooked the duplex bungalows across from me.

Some of the surprises that came with the place were that it's a padlock entry system. The padlock is really heavy duty and the room seemed very secure while I wasn't in the room. When you were in the room, you kept the door shut with a small, very light duty door jam. I think a solid kick or even body check would have allowed someone to access the room at night. I was happy that the reception desk appeared to only have 1 key for the room, and learned after about 5-days of wondering why my room hadn't been made up that housekeeping is by-request only. They needed access to my room to fix my water heater and the handle of the bathroom door had been broken by previous guests. When they need to access you room, either for cleaning or maintenance, they take your key. If you are diving or have a weird schedule, this might be a little inconvenient as I was concerned their office would close before I arrived to pick up my key, effectively leaving me locked out during the night. I have no idea what I'd do if there was some kind of problem while their office was shut down.

As Ban's had really taken care of my transfer to these accomodations, and English was very limited at their management office, I had Ban's take care of my requests during my stay. This was OK for me, but a bit of a hassle. Within a week of me arriving, I decided I wanted to upgrade to a beach front bungalow (YOLO), and was entirely disappointed with how they handled the request. When I initiated the request there were people staying in the bungalow. I found out when they were leaving and asked management to move to their room when they checked-out. I reminded them of this request the 2-days before they checked out and again the morning of their check-out. When I arrived back from diving that night, expecting to transfer rooms, I was informed it had already been rented. I spoke to these new guests and found out when they were leaving, spoke to Ban's, spoke to management at SB Cabana exactly as I did the last time, even wrote a note to remind them and they rented it AGAIN. I was more than willing to pay the upgraded room charges, but was extremely disappointed. I went so far as to pack up my room both times, gave management my mobile phone number and I was willing to cancel my dives to accommodate a move across the road, but they completely ignored or forgot my request. Both times there was no acknowledgement of a mistake, let alone an attempt at an apology. I found this to be extremely poor form, considering my length of stay and attributes as a quiet, considerate and (at the time) happy guest. I gave up on that room after the 2nd failure.

I was also unhappy with the cleaning of outside areas. Since housekeeping doesn't happen every day (I had it twice during my stay, on request only), I tended to place my waste bin outside for them to collect and empty. There is a 2nd (identical) waste bin outside on the balcony which I'd rotate back inside. It often took 4-5 days for them to empty the bin, which was overflowing each time. Rarely was my varanda swept, and it was constantly covered in sand. I decided to leave a really nasty looking plate of chicken wing bones on the table just to see how long it took them to remove it, and it sat for almost 5-days. Even then, they cleared the bones, left the paper plate and wooden skewer. The place seemed to have a lot of staff, and were great if there was a problem, I'm just not sure what the housekeeping staff does all day.

All-in-all, I think I could have found cheaper places with as-good accommodations, but I didn't look very hard. SB Cabana 2 is extremely convenient if you're diving at Ban's (I think it's probably a shorter walk from my room to Fish Bowl than it is for people staying in Ban's AC rooms), and I found it to be very quiet at night. It fit my basic needs, but the customer service here was very frustrating to deal with. If I'd known I was staying for 3-weeks, I would have worked harder to find the 'right' accommodations, and never felt compelled to search elsewhere after I checked-in.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here after a decent experience last year! Room was decent, good a/c, well secured and right on the beach! A good choice only it got a little pricier! 1500 per night for September was a more than we expected after being there for less in peaks reason last year! However it is clean, with hot water and in a great location! They even give you complimentary water :) Would stay again if it wasn't so expensive! (Reception lady still doesn't smile!! Lol)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

After walking around for far too long, we settled in a fan bungalow for 600 baht per night (in September). The place was very clean. No hot water and no wifi unless you sit in the family's living room which seemed crazy at that price. We also had one near the road which was extremely loud so avoid those if possible. The ladyboy that works reception is extremely rude and not helpful at all. If possible, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This place was cheap and close to all the goings on, all we needed was a bed to fall in at night and a shower. The staff were very distant and it seems like they don't care that your there or not. The bungalow was very basic and there were no decorative things anywhere, just a light blue room and a bed and a fan which didn't make it feel homey or cosy. It was clean and the bathroom was fine except for no hot water and there was also no WiFi but there are internet cafe's everywhere anyway. For 250THB each a night we couldn't have asked for anything more though.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends