“Doesn't get better than this!”

Goodtime Beach Hostel
Ranked #10 of 74 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Doesn't get better than this!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in the female dorm room (so nice and girly touches are a fun bonus after staying in plain/boring hostels.) Right on the beach! Exactly where you'd want to be during the day in the sun and also for the night life. The manager is very cool and helpful. Has a great beach front restaurant and bar. Awesome discounts for scuba diving if you're a guest! (one of cheapest on the island I'd say) I loved everything about this place. People always end up staying on Koh Tao longer than planned, and staying at this place was a main reason why I extended my trip. I wish I could go back!

Room Tip: All of the dorm rooms face the street, private (hotel style rooms) are the beachfront ones
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
What an awesome review Thank you!

So glad that you enjoyed your stay, and please DO come back again!! As you said, koh Tao is rarely a place visited only once.
I'm pleased that you appreciate the Female Only Dorm - we are the only Dorm on Sairee Beach and with many travelers solo I hoped it would provide some safe feeling and probably better hygiene :)

Until next time......

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I found Goodtime because I was looking for a dorm with three things - AC, a hot shower, and beach access - and this place has them all! I was very happy staying at Goodtime, so much so that I ended up diving with their adventure company (and had a very positive experience there as well).

My room was clean and cool, the shower worked well, and there wasn't sand everywhere like there is in a lot of other places; they're very good at coming through to clean the rooms. The hotel is located smack in the middle of Sairee Beach, so you're close to everything.

I recommended plenty of fellow travellers to this place; for the money, this is the best dorm you'll find on the whole island!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thanks Tim for your great review and positive feedback!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, the Dorm rooms only opened six months ago and has taken some to time to perfect! Located on the Beach I am thrilled to hear you found the room clean and sand free!! I will definitely pass on your comments and praise our Housekeepers, not a easy task in this very busy period.

Awesome that you will recommend us to fellow travelers, but we also hope that you come back for more adventures and another visit :)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We´ve had a double room with ocean view for 6 days now and is overwhelmed by the beautiful location of the hotel. We practically live on the beach and can watch over the ocean while laying in our bed. The room looks really nice and the bed is comfortable.

The bathroom smells of sewer, especially when showering, and it looks quite dirty as well. The maids forgot to clean our room one of the days, even though we´d put the please clean sign outside the door. We paid 2500 baht for this room per night and I would think that the breakfast included would be more generous. Today I asked for a breakfast called Divers breakfast set, and that includes porridge with raisins/cashew and banana, a smoothie and coffee or tea. I got the porridge with raisins and orange juice. No smoothie. I asked if i could have some banana, but they did not have any today. I asked if i could get some cashew nuts but then i would have to pay for this. They did not give me the smoothie and had no banana, but I could still not get a couple of nuts in my porridge without paying for it. This is to me bad costumer service, and it has been like this every day. So, if staying here i would certainly not advise you to have breakfast included as they seem to cheap you out on it every day.
Our room is also situated above a bar, with LOUD music played well after midnight. If you are backpacking and looking to party, this would probably be ok, but for us travelling as a couple, it gets annoying.
Also, be advised they are promoting 10% off in the restaurant for anyone living at the hotel. We never experienced this discount, so you have to actively pursue it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room above the bar if you wish to sleep without loud music
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki S, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I'm glad to hear you loved the location and the room itself, but it is unfortunate you were unhappy with some aspects of your stay and did not bring up any of these problems with me while you were here, as most issues you had we could have dealt with quite quickly at the time.

You mention you were unhappy with your breakfast service, but what you actually ordered was not even on the breakfast menu options. We offer 6 different breakfast sets to cater for all needs, but you requested something different, which the staff nicely did. You mention the diver breakfast which does not usually include a coffee, but you were given this included anyway.

We do request all guests to put out the 'clean room' sign before 11.00, this is written in the information booklet in your room. Every time you put the sign out before 11.00 the room was cleaned.

I am sorry about the smell appearing in your bathroom, this may have been caused by an extreme high tide we experienced last month slowing the draining process form the shower. I wish you would have informed us at the time as we may have been able to do something.

Sadly the loud music does appear sometimes as we are right on Sairee beach which is the heart of Koh Tao. We are lucky to be located South of the center and away form the every night party scene, but there are bars dotted about up the beach and they do have the odd later night party.

As for the 10% discount this was a November promotion only and the advertisement was removed as soon as the month was over.

I do hope you enjoyed your holiday and had safe travels onward's.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I was looking for somewhere relaxed and quiet for a few days and I found it. This place is a little bit down from the main village (bout 10 minute walk) but there's still plenty of restaurants and bars around. Stayed in the hostel dorm which was roomy, beds were comfy and room was cleaned every day. Only thing I didn't really like as a solo traveller was the fact there was no common area but it was still ok. The wifi connection went from weak to non existent but there's several places around to get signal from!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DublinLass26
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Sorry I must have missed this review so late response, but Thank you for your comments!
However since your stay we have had 2 more Wifi modems put upstairs in the Hotel/Hostel and now have a very good fast connection that works well in all our accommodation :)
With regards to a common room, we have no free area space upstairs with the accommodation but in November we have now started using the Cafe/Bar area for a common area. All residents staying at The Goodtime Beach Hotel receive 10% off all food and drinks and a large T.V has beed installed to play movies etc.
Hopefully you will visit us again and enjoy the improvements!!
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed in an ocean view private double room. The room was spacious and well appointed with a wonderful view of the ocean. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of hot water. We were diving with GTA which made our stay so convenient. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you so much for your great review and thank you for being great guests, it was a pleasure to have you here!
The location and view is great and its even better for taking courses and diving with us, straight from your bed to breakfast to the water - easy. Goodtimes :)
Hope to see you back here again soon....
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

The location was good but the front desk girl was not able to be on the place she was. Since we arrived there she treat us really bad and the service was not expected. Be careful cause we put all the towels on the bed and when we did the check out she said one towel was missed and she charged us 500 bath for it... she didn't want give our passaport back. If you have another option to stay I avoid to stay in this hotel. We stayed there for 4 days and the staffs didn't care about the costumers. The toilet was dirty and the shower was broken.

• Stayed September 2013
Timsahb, Owner at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you again for staying in our hotel and thank you for giving me the opportunity to reply to an unjustified review from you that was clearly borne out of your frustration with communication across languages, not the hotel as such.

You may not have been aware but myself (Western Owner) was close by both when you checked in and when you checked out of the hotel so I was aware of your behavior from the start. When you arrived you were very rude and aggressive about a booking discrepancy of other customers and started threatening our receptionist by taking photos of and calling her names. She handled herself quite professionally in defense of your unjustified tirade.

At check in it is very clear when staying in the dorm rooms that the towels, sheets etc we give you; are required to be given back at the end of your stay, just like every hostel in the world. And like every hostel in the world, you will be charged accordingly if you lose something entrusted into your care. After your case, we have re-looked at the way we check people in and out and made it even clearer for you to bring the towels and sheets back to reception on checkout.

You were very aggressive and extremely rude (again) to our receptionist at check out when this problem occurred, I was watching from across the path and thought I would have to intervene, however I wanted to let our receptionist handle the problem. You were threatening legal action, Interpol and all sorts of action based around you lacking the personal responsibility to look after and return a $12 towel.

It became very clear to us when your two friends had to come back and apologies for your behavior and expressed that they really enjoyed their stay with us.

We pride ourselves on our customer service; please look at the reviews on Goodtime Adventures for a realistic assessment of how we operate. While the hotel operation is still in its infancy with us, it’s the same people working with the same attitude and we are often praised for helping out customers over and above what’s expected - such as assisting with legal issues or lost luggage.

The toilets are cleaned every day, however as you were staying in a dorm room, they can become dirtier through use after time, however I remind you the bathrooms are also internal (8 bed dorm with internal bathroom, AC right on the beach) and all it takes is one person to mess it up. If we are not told then our cleaners are not aware there is a problem.

If you are going to travel around the world, you need to be able to follow the rules and accept some personal responsibility - not become rude and aggressive towards local people - exemplified by your friends coming back to apologize for your behavior.

Regards,
Tim
General Manager / Owner
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Arrived during high season with no accomodation and Sairee beach was fully booked out. The wonderful staff were able to sort me out for my stay and put an extra bed in the dorm to stay with friends! The place was perfectly clean and it's in a great location in the middle of everything you could want. I'd recommend to book in advance and stay in an 8 bed dorm. Enjoy!! I'd do anything to return!

Room Tip: 8 Bed dorm was perfect! There are private sea view rooms that are more expensive also.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thanks Marianne for your lovely review! Of course we wouldn't see you without a bed to sleep when your friends in the room were more than happy to have an extra bed put in for you, good job the rooms are so big...
Your definitely right about booking accommodation on Koh Tao now, before and after the full moon periods there are no spare beds available in the Sairee area and many people are disappointed when they arrive. So you need to book with us again Mairanne? When are you back? :)