“Good value for your money”

Goodtime Beach Hostel
Ranked #11 of 79 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed six nights in a 8 bed mixed dormitory on street side and had a pleasant stay, thought there were some problems too. The staff is friendly and helpful, especially those of the restaurant and managers are mostly westerners. The location between Mae Haad and Sairee was convenient as it was a bit calmer than villages but there are excellent services around the hostel.

Beds were comfy enough, places were cleaned well (but got messy quite quickly) and there is both air condition and a fan in the room. However, they don't have big lockers for backpack but small ones for valuables. I found it pretty odd as there's enough space in the room. They have hot water available, but the whole water stopped twice (there's constant water shortage on the island, but still..) For a solo traveller it was also a disappointment to see that they have no get-together area. Of course it was easy to get company from the dorm guys, but anyway.

There's Wi-Fi all around the building, but it didn't work all the time. However, this is a good place to stay, especially if you've interested in adventures.

Room Tip: I guess most of dorms are on street side even thought they advertise for beach side dorms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you Erika for your review and we are pleased you had a pleasant stay and trust you had a Goodtime!

The Dorms which have been open only 6 months have gone through many changes, and hopefully we are making improvements all the time! Our next project, already underway is a common area for our dorm customers - we understand the importance to socialize outside the sleeping areas (as do the people trying to sleep). Currently we have a cafe/bar area and all our customers are free to frequent this as they please, also based on the beach there are large areas outside with seating and amazing views too..

Next time you visit us though, you can choose the evening film to be watched, in our cosy, comfortable, NEW common area :)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed in a private double. It had a balcony overlooking the sea.

Recently under new management, and starting to renovate the rooms.

Rooms were nice, bean bags a major plus! The bathroom is in need of renovation work.

Breakfasts were amazing - included in the price.

Looked around for accomodation while we were there -seemed like we got the best place for the best price.

Overall a great experience, with close proximity to everything you might fancy on a desert island.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you Nancy for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Your right in saying we have only recently taken over the hotel and aware of the modifications needed. Renovation is already scheduled, bathrooms being our priority.

We hope though that the price reflects this and we can be a little forgiving of the bathroom decor when the view from the balcony is so stunning.

Breakfast at The Goodtime Beach Cafe located directly under the hotel is a real treat, enjoyed by many of the locals and long term visitors also. Personally I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather be answering my mail on a morning - Good View, Good Food, Good Times!!!!

Maybe we will see you for breakfast in the future!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in the female dorm room (so nice and girly touches are a fun bonus after staying in plain/boring hostels.) Right on the beach! Exactly where you'd want to be during the day in the sun and also for the night life. The manager is very cool and helpful. Has a great beach front restaurant and bar. Awesome discounts for scuba diving if you're a guest! (one of cheapest on the island I'd say) I loved everything about this place. People always end up staying on Koh Tao longer than planned, and staying at this place was a main reason why I extended my trip. I wish I could go back!

Room Tip: All of the dorm rooms face the street, private (hotel style rooms) are the beachfront ones
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

What an awesome review Thank you!

So glad that you enjoyed your stay, and please DO come back again!! As you said, koh Tao is rarely a place visited only once.
I'm pleased that you appreciate the Female Only Dorm - we are the only Dorm on Sairee Beach and with many travelers solo I hoped it would provide some safe feeling and probably better hygiene :)

Until next time......

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I found Goodtime because I was looking for a dorm with three things - AC, a hot shower, and beach access - and this place has them all! I was very happy staying at Goodtime, so much so that I ended up diving with their adventure company (and had a very positive experience there as well).

My room was clean and cool, the shower worked well, and there wasn't sand everywhere like there is in a lot of other places; they're very good at coming through to clean the rooms. The hotel is located smack in the middle of Sairee Beach, so you're close to everything.

I recommended plenty of fellow travellers to this place; for the money, this is the best dorm you'll find on the whole island!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thanks Tim for your great review and positive feedback!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, the Dorm rooms only opened six months ago and has taken some to time to perfect! Located on the Beach I am thrilled to hear you found the room clean and sand free!! I will definitely pass on your comments and praise our Housekeepers, not a easy task in this very busy period.

Awesome that you will recommend us to fellow travelers, but we also hope that you come back for more adventures and another visit :)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We´ve had a double room with ocean view for 6 days now and is overwhelmed by the beautiful location of the hotel. We practically live on the beach and can watch over the ocean while laying in our bed. The room looks really nice and the bed is comfortable.

The bathroom smells of sewer, especially when showering, and it looks quite dirty as well. The maids forgot to clean our room one of the days, even though we´d put the please clean sign outside the door. We paid 2500 baht for this room per night and I would think that the breakfast included would be more generous. Today I asked for a breakfast called Divers breakfast set, and that includes porridge with raisins/cashew and banana, a smoothie and coffee or tea. I got the porridge with raisins and orange juice. No smoothie. I asked if i could have some banana, but they did not have any today. I asked if i could get some cashew nuts but then i would have to pay for this. They did not give me the smoothie and had no banana, but I could still not get a couple of nuts in my porridge without paying for it. This is to me bad costumer service, and it has been like this every day. So, if staying here i would certainly not advise you to have breakfast included as they seem to cheap you out on it every day.
Our room is also situated above a bar, with LOUD music played well after midnight. If you are backpacking and looking to party, this would probably be ok, but for us travelling as a couple, it gets annoying.
Also, be advised they are promoting 10% off in the restaurant for anyone living at the hotel. We never experienced this discount, so you have to actively pursue it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room above the bar if you wish to sleep without loud music
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki S, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I'm glad to hear you loved the location and the room itself, but it is unfortunate you were unhappy with some aspects of your stay and did not bring up any of these problems with me while you were here, as most issues you had we could have dealt with quite quickly at the time.

You mention you were unhappy with your breakfast service, but what you actually ordered was not even on the breakfast menu options. We offer 6 different breakfast sets to cater for all needs, but you requested something different, which the staff nicely did. You mention the diver breakfast which does not usually include a coffee, but you were given this included anyway.

We do request all guests to put out the 'clean room' sign before 11.00, this is written in the information booklet in your room. Every time you put the sign out before 11.00 the room was cleaned.

I am sorry about the smell appearing in your bathroom, this may have been caused by an extreme high tide we experienced last month slowing the draining process form the shower. I wish you would have informed us at the time as we may have been able to do something.

Sadly the loud music does appear sometimes as we are right on Sairee beach which is the heart of Koh Tao. We are lucky to be located South of the center and away form the every night party scene, but there are bars dotted about up the beach and they do have the odd later night party.

As for the 10% discount this was a November promotion only and the advertisement was removed as soon as the month was over.

I do hope you enjoyed your holiday and had safe travels onward's.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was looking for somewhere relaxed and quiet for a few days and I found it. This place is a little bit down from the main village (bout 10 minute walk) but there's still plenty of restaurants and bars around. Stayed in the hostel dorm which was roomy, beds were comfy and room was cleaned every day. Only thing I didn't really like as a solo traveller was the fact there was no common area but it was still ok. The wifi connection went from weak to non existent but there's several places around to get signal from!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DublinLass26
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Sorry I must have missed this review so late response, but Thank you for your comments!
However since your stay we have had 2 more Wifi modems put upstairs in the Hotel/Hostel and now have a very good fast connection that works well in all our accommodation :)
With regards to a common room, we have no free area space upstairs with the accommodation but in November we have now started using the Cafe/Bar area for a common area. All residents staying at The Goodtime Beach Hotel receive 10% off all food and drinks and a large T.V has beed installed to play movies etc.
Hopefully you will visit us again and enjoy the improvements!!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed in an ocean view private double room. The room was spacious and well appointed with a wonderful view of the ocean. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of hot water. We were diving with GTA which made our stay so convenient. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you so much for your great review and thank you for being great guests, it was a pleasure to have you here!
The location and view is great and its even better for taking courses and diving with us, straight from your bed to breakfast to the water - easy. Goodtimes :)
Hope to see you back here again soon....