“Amazing view! BUT don't expect to sleep before 2am!!”

Goodtime Beach Hostel
Ranked #14 of 81 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Generally this hotel is okay, the rooms out the front overlooking the ocean have a fantastic view! The rooms come with a comfy sofa, also a couple of beanie bags! However the same couldn't be said for the bed, which was pretty hard. But some people may like that.

The living space of the room was clean and nice. BUT the bathroom was awful!! It's by far the worst bathroom we have had, it was dirty and stank like sewage beyond belief also it was constantly wet around the toilet. If the hotel could look at upgrading the bathroom in the private rooms then the rooms would be great.

The hotel has loads of restaurants, bars, shops etc all directly outside and a few minutes walk away. However, the biggest downfall was the fact there is a bar underneath the hotel, the bar blasts music from about 9 all the way through till past 2am.. So forget sleeping till the music stops, this did cause for me to till with a stroppy girlfriend one day due to lack of sleep!

Also wifi is advertised and is there, but I wouldn't both trying to use it.

The welcome was great though, a young western lady greeted is who was really kind. The hotel should advertise the fact the bar is directly below blasting music.

Was it worth £117 for 2 nights? No.

• Stayed: January 2014
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you Sean for your review and we do hope you had a pleasant stay.

Your disappointments with the Hotel are shared by us and I can assure you that all of your concerns are being dealt with ASAP!

The Hotel rooms are closed starting 10th February and new plumbing and refurbishment of all our bathrooms will be underway. We were unaware of drainage problems until we experienced the highest tides of the year, unfortunately this stopped our shower drainage flowing away fast during very busy periods.

The Wifi problem affected all businesses in Koh Tao that were provided by TOT internet server. We have since registered for a second server - CAT Telecom and shortly we will have the line fitted.

Regarding the bar below, we too are unimpressed with the new opening hours. The Tank bar when we took over the Hotel was always closed by 11pm. As the bar is not owned by us we have little control over this. We have been told that the new opening hours are for party nights and high season periods only? We are however changing advertisements so future customers will be aware of this.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel we where greeted by two friendly staff. When taken to our room it looked lovely and had an amazing view!

My problem with this hotel is the toilet, for a room we paid £55 a night for a would not say the bathroom was acceptable, it was so smelly and all around the toilet was always wet? Seemed like a drainage problem..

Also I feel it should be advertised that the hotel has a bar right below and plays very loud music until around 3am! We had an older couple next door an I'm pretty sure they where less than impressed too. I would advise not to stay here unless you are happy to be kept awake until the early hours of the morning.

This hotel will advise your that they have free wifi, the wifi does not work!! When we did get it to work for about an hour it was so slow it wasn't worth it!

Overall I'm disappointed, no one wants to be trying to hold there breath when taking a shower!

• Stayed: January 2014
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you Amie for your honest review and I am sorry your stay was less than perfect :(

Without excuses, we took on the Hotel less than 9 months ago and over this time we have made considerable improvements to the building and hotel services.

During December and January, Koh Tao experiences the highest tides of the year, unknown to me this creates problems for my drainage? The Hotel is located on Sairee Beach, as the tide reaches high levels it meets with my shower draining pipes. When many people are showering at once the water drains away very slowly. To rectify the problem the Hotel rooms will be closed for 1 week in February and new plumbing will be fitted.

The bar below - The Tank (not owned by us) was once a early closing chilled sunset style bar, closing generally before 11pm. Since closure of other local bars and increase of tourists to the area over the high season, the bar has started opening some evenings until 2am much to our disapproval. We fully appreciate that this is annoying and less than relaxing to our customers and advertisement on our booking sites is now being changed :(

The Wifi system in our Hotel is more than adequate and we have 4 modems throughout ensuring all customers have good internet connection in all our rooms. The problem with the Wifi line at the time was a server problem from TOT, everybody on the island supplied by them was in the same boat. Even with this, we realize that it could happen again and we are now having a second line from CAT Telecom fitted!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed six nights in a 8 bed mixed dormitory on street side and had a pleasant stay, thought there were some problems too. The staff is friendly and helpful, especially those of the restaurant and managers are mostly westerners. The location between Mae Haad and Sairee was convenient as it was a bit calmer than villages but there are excellent services around the hostel.

Beds were comfy enough, places were cleaned well (but got messy quite quickly) and there is both air condition and a fan in the room. However, they don't have big lockers for backpack but small ones for valuables. I found it pretty odd as there's enough space in the room. They have hot water available, but the whole water stopped twice (there's constant water shortage on the island, but still..) For a solo traveller it was also a disappointment to see that they have no get-together area. Of course it was easy to get company from the dorm guys, but anyway.

There's Wi-Fi all around the building, but it didn't work all the time. However, this is a good place to stay, especially if you've interested in adventures.

Room Tip: I guess most of dorms are on street side even thought they advertise for beach side dorms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you Erika for your review and we are pleased you had a pleasant stay and trust you had a Goodtime!

The Dorms which have been open only 6 months have gone through many changes, and hopefully we are making improvements all the time! Our next project, already underway is a common area for our dorm customers - we understand the importance to socialize outside the sleeping areas (as do the people trying to sleep). Currently we have a cafe/bar area and all our customers are free to frequent this as they please, also based on the beach there are large areas outside with seating and amazing views too..

Next time you visit us though, you can choose the evening film to be watched, in our cosy, comfortable, NEW common area :)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed in a private double. It had a balcony overlooking the sea.

Recently under new management, and starting to renovate the rooms.

Rooms were nice, bean bags a major plus! The bathroom is in need of renovation work.

Breakfasts were amazing - included in the price.

Looked around for accomodation while we were there -seemed like we got the best place for the best price.

Overall a great experience, with close proximity to everything you might fancy on a desert island.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you Nancy for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Your right in saying we have only recently taken over the hotel and aware of the modifications needed. Renovation is already scheduled, bathrooms being our priority.

We hope though that the price reflects this and we can be a little forgiving of the bathroom decor when the view from the balcony is so stunning.

Breakfast at The Goodtime Beach Cafe located directly under the hotel is a real treat, enjoyed by many of the locals and long term visitors also. Personally I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather be answering my mail on a morning - Good View, Good Food, Good Times!!!!

Maybe we will see you for breakfast in the future!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in the female dorm room (so nice and girly touches are a fun bonus after staying in plain/boring hostels.) Right on the beach! Exactly where you'd want to be during the day in the sun and also for the night life. The manager is very cool and helpful. Has a great beach front restaurant and bar. Awesome discounts for scuba diving if you're a guest! (one of cheapest on the island I'd say) I loved everything about this place. People always end up staying on Koh Tao longer than planned, and staying at this place was a main reason why I extended my trip. I wish I could go back!

Room Tip: All of the dorm rooms face the street, private (hotel style rooms) are the beachfront ones
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

What an awesome review Thank you!

So glad that you enjoyed your stay, and please DO come back again!! As you said, koh Tao is rarely a place visited only once.
I'm pleased that you appreciate the Female Only Dorm - we are the only Dorm on Sairee Beach and with many travelers solo I hoped it would provide some safe feeling and probably better hygiene :)

Until next time......

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I found Goodtime because I was looking for a dorm with three things - AC, a hot shower, and beach access - and this place has them all! I was very happy staying at Goodtime, so much so that I ended up diving with their adventure company (and had a very positive experience there as well).

My room was clean and cool, the shower worked well, and there wasn't sand everywhere like there is in a lot of other places; they're very good at coming through to clean the rooms. The hotel is located smack in the middle of Sairee Beach, so you're close to everything.

I recommended plenty of fellow travellers to this place; for the money, this is the best dorm you'll find on the whole island!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thanks Tim for your great review and positive feedback!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, the Dorm rooms only opened six months ago and has taken some to time to perfect! Located on the Beach I am thrilled to hear you found the room clean and sand free!! I will definitely pass on your comments and praise our Housekeepers, not a easy task in this very busy period.

Awesome that you will recommend us to fellow travelers, but we also hope that you come back for more adventures and another visit :)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We´ve had a double room with ocean view for 6 days now and is overwhelmed by the beautiful location of the hotel. We practically live on the beach and can watch over the ocean while laying in our bed. The room looks really nice and the bed is comfortable.

The bathroom smells of sewer, especially when showering, and it looks quite dirty as well. The maids forgot to clean our room one of the days, even though we´d put the please clean sign outside the door. We paid 2500 baht for this room per night and I would think that the breakfast included would be more generous. Today I asked for a breakfast called Divers breakfast set, and that includes porridge with raisins/cashew and banana, a smoothie and coffee or tea. I got the porridge with raisins and orange juice. No smoothie. I asked if i could have some banana, but they did not have any today. I asked if i could get some cashew nuts but then i would have to pay for this. They did not give me the smoothie and had no banana, but I could still not get a couple of nuts in my porridge without paying for it. This is to me bad costumer service, and it has been like this every day. So, if staying here i would certainly not advise you to have breakfast included as they seem to cheap you out on it every day.
Our room is also situated above a bar, with LOUD music played well after midnight. If you are backpacking and looking to party, this would probably be ok, but for us travelling as a couple, it gets annoying.
Also, be advised they are promoting 10% off in the restaurant for anyone living at the hotel. We never experienced this discount, so you have to actively pursue it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room above the bar if you wish to sleep without loud music
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki S, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I'm glad to hear you loved the location and the room itself, but it is unfortunate you were unhappy with some aspects of your stay and did not bring up any of these problems with me while you were here, as most issues you had we could have dealt with quite quickly at the time.

You mention you were unhappy with your breakfast service, but what you actually ordered was not even on the breakfast menu options. We offer 6 different breakfast sets to cater for all needs, but you requested something different, which the staff nicely did. You mention the diver breakfast which does not usually include a coffee, but you were given this included anyway.

We do request all guests to put out the 'clean room' sign before 11.00, this is written in the information booklet in your room. Every time you put the sign out before 11.00 the room was cleaned.

I am sorry about the smell appearing in your bathroom, this may have been caused by an extreme high tide we experienced last month slowing the draining process form the shower. I wish you would have informed us at the time as we may have been able to do something.

Sadly the loud music does appear sometimes as we are right on Sairee beach which is the heart of Koh Tao. We are lucky to be located South of the center and away form the every night party scene, but there are bars dotted about up the beach and they do have the odd later night party.

As for the 10% discount this was a November promotion only and the advertisement was removed as soon as the month was over.

I do hope you enjoyed your holiday and had safe travels onward's.