“Very mixed feelings about this hotel.”

Goodtime Beach Hostel
Ranked #13 of 79 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for four nights in January. We had the "deluxe" beachfront room. We weren't here to dive with them, I chose it for the beach front view and the price. The view is fantastic, you are right of the beach. Sunsets would have been magnificent if only the sky cooperated. The music from downstairs drove us nuts, in all fairness, it's not their bar, it's another outfit, The Tank. Techno music blaring until 2:19 am is horrible. Same "song" on endless loop, with a joke of a laser show on the rock outside. But that's not Good Times fault. What is their responsibility is the horrible bathrooms and spotty customer service. If you book here, IMMEDIATELY go to the 7-11 and buy a quart of bleach. Pour half down the sink drain, and half down the shower. Repeat every 2 days. It helps, but not much. The plumbing leaks, and there's no excuse for not fixing that today. Doesn't need to wait for a rehab. The bed was rock hard, you either like it or don't. Didn't bother me, drove the wife nuts. I do have a real problem with being asked for a 1000 BHT deposit for a second room key. It's not an unusual request. Quite normal, actually. Don't make excuses like "we only have 2 keys, if you lose it I have to replace the lock." Really Nicki? Maybe you could ask the locksmith who's advertisement is hanging at the bottom of the stairs to make a third key. As if there aren't already more. And the lock itself is a cheap passage lock like I'd put on a bedroom in my house. How about a deadbolt. I was traveling with $7000USD worth of camera equipment, and didn't feel too good about the security. The food was good, most of the staff very friendly. Fix up the rooms, don't make excuses, and you've got a pretty good place here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raskage
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your review, however I do wish you had voiced your opinions and concerns to me during your stay I think we could have helped your experience be much more comfortable.

We are now dealing with the problems of drainage over the high tide period in December and January, having only taken over the Hotel less than 9 months we were blissfully unaware of the problems we faced. Full modification to all the bathrooms starts February 10th and plumbing pipes need to be altered to allow more efficient drainage solution over these periods. The beach completed disappeared for a short while the water level was directly under the hotel, It is definitely not something I could have fixed that day or even during your stay - which I would have explained. I was never made aware of any bad smells in your bathroom, I can assure you the water on the bathroom floor and drainage is from the shower pipe only.

We take 1000THB Key Deposit from all customers, nothing to do with me not having any more spare keys? If a room key is lost, I have and will replace the lock. This eliminates the risk of the keys been found by anybody at a later date and possible break in's.
Although we do not have individual safe's in the rooms, we do have a large safe for customer use in the building and if requested it would have been no problem to use. We also have CCTV fitted throughout the Hotel and a Night Watchman we definitely want our customers to feel safe and secure.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Generally this hotel is okay, the rooms out the front overlooking the ocean have a fantastic view! The rooms come with a comfy sofa, also a couple of beanie bags! However the same couldn't be said for the bed, which was pretty hard. But some people may like that.

The living space of the room was clean and nice. BUT the bathroom was awful!! It's by far the worst bathroom we have had, it was dirty and stank like sewage beyond belief also it was constantly wet around the toilet. If the hotel could look at upgrading the bathroom in the private rooms then the rooms would be great.

The hotel has loads of restaurants, bars, shops etc all directly outside and a few minutes walk away. However, the biggest downfall was the fact there is a bar underneath the hotel, the bar blasts music from about 9 all the way through till past 2am.. So forget sleeping till the music stops, this did cause for me to till with a stroppy girlfriend one day due to lack of sleep!

Also wifi is advertised and is there, but I wouldn't both trying to use it.

The welcome was great though, a young western lady greeted is who was really kind. The hotel should advertise the fact the bar is directly below blasting music.

Was it worth £117 for 2 nights? No.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you Sean for your review and we do hope you had a pleasant stay.

Your disappointments with the Hotel are shared by us and I can assure you that all of your concerns are being dealt with ASAP!

The Hotel rooms are closed starting 10th February and new plumbing and refurbishment of all our bathrooms will be underway. We were unaware of drainage problems until we experienced the highest tides of the year, unfortunately this stopped our shower drainage flowing away fast during very busy periods.

The Wifi problem affected all businesses in Koh Tao that were provided by TOT internet server. We have since registered for a second server - CAT Telecom and shortly we will have the line fitted.

Regarding the bar below, we too are unimpressed with the new opening hours. The Tank bar when we took over the Hotel was always closed by 11pm. As the bar is not owned by us we have little control over this. We have been told that the new opening hours are for party nights and high season periods only? We are however changing advertisements so future customers will be aware of this.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel we where greeted by two friendly staff. When taken to our room it looked lovely and had an amazing view!

My problem with this hotel is the toilet, for a room we paid £55 a night for a would not say the bathroom was acceptable, it was so smelly and all around the toilet was always wet? Seemed like a drainage problem..

Also I feel it should be advertised that the hotel has a bar right below and plays very loud music until around 3am! We had an older couple next door an I'm pretty sure they where less than impressed too. I would advise not to stay here unless you are happy to be kept awake until the early hours of the morning.

This hotel will advise your that they have free wifi, the wifi does not work!! When we did get it to work for about an hour it was so slow it wasn't worth it!

Overall I'm disappointed, no one wants to be trying to hold there breath when taking a shower!

• Stayed: January 2014
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you Amie for your honest review and I am sorry your stay was less than perfect :(

Without excuses, we took on the Hotel less than 9 months ago and over this time we have made considerable improvements to the building and hotel services.

During December and January, Koh Tao experiences the highest tides of the year, unknown to me this creates problems for my drainage? The Hotel is located on Sairee Beach, as the tide reaches high levels it meets with my shower draining pipes. When many people are showering at once the water drains away very slowly. To rectify the problem the Hotel rooms will be closed for 1 week in February and new plumbing will be fitted.

The bar below - The Tank (not owned by us) was once a early closing chilled sunset style bar, closing generally before 11pm. Since closure of other local bars and increase of tourists to the area over the high season, the bar has started opening some evenings until 2am much to our disapproval. We fully appreciate that this is annoying and less than relaxing to our customers and advertisement on our booking sites is now being changed :(

The Wifi system in our Hotel is more than adequate and we have 4 modems throughout ensuring all customers have good internet connection in all our rooms. The problem with the Wifi line at the time was a server problem from TOT, everybody on the island supplied by them was in the same boat. Even with this, we realize that it could happen again and we are now having a second line from CAT Telecom fitted!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed six nights in a 8 bed mixed dormitory on street side and had a pleasant stay, thought there were some problems too. The staff is friendly and helpful, especially those of the restaurant and managers are mostly westerners. The location between Mae Haad and Sairee was convenient as it was a bit calmer than villages but there are excellent services around the hostel.

Beds were comfy enough, places were cleaned well (but got messy quite quickly) and there is both air condition and a fan in the room. However, they don't have big lockers for backpack but small ones for valuables. I found it pretty odd as there's enough space in the room. They have hot water available, but the whole water stopped twice (there's constant water shortage on the island, but still..) For a solo traveller it was also a disappointment to see that they have no get-together area. Of course it was easy to get company from the dorm guys, but anyway.

There's Wi-Fi all around the building, but it didn't work all the time. However, this is a good place to stay, especially if you've interested in adventures.

Room Tip: I guess most of dorms are on street side even thought they advertise for beach side dorms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you Erika for your review and we are pleased you had a pleasant stay and trust you had a Goodtime!

The Dorms which have been open only 6 months have gone through many changes, and hopefully we are making improvements all the time! Our next project, already underway is a common area for our dorm customers - we understand the importance to socialize outside the sleeping areas (as do the people trying to sleep). Currently we have a cafe/bar area and all our customers are free to frequent this as they please, also based on the beach there are large areas outside with seating and amazing views too..

Next time you visit us though, you can choose the evening film to be watched, in our cosy, comfortable, NEW common area :)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed in a private double. It had a balcony overlooking the sea.

Recently under new management, and starting to renovate the rooms.

Rooms were nice, bean bags a major plus! The bathroom is in need of renovation work.

Breakfasts were amazing - included in the price.

Looked around for accomodation while we were there -seemed like we got the best place for the best price.

Overall a great experience, with close proximity to everything you might fancy on a desert island.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you Nancy for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Your right in saying we have only recently taken over the hotel and aware of the modifications needed. Renovation is already scheduled, bathrooms being our priority.

We hope though that the price reflects this and we can be a little forgiving of the bathroom decor when the view from the balcony is so stunning.

Breakfast at The Goodtime Beach Cafe located directly under the hotel is a real treat, enjoyed by many of the locals and long term visitors also. Personally I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather be answering my mail on a morning - Good View, Good Food, Good Times!!!!

Maybe we will see you for breakfast in the future!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in the female dorm room (so nice and girly touches are a fun bonus after staying in plain/boring hostels.) Right on the beach! Exactly where you'd want to be during the day in the sun and also for the night life. The manager is very cool and helpful. Has a great beach front restaurant and bar. Awesome discounts for scuba diving if you're a guest! (one of cheapest on the island I'd say) I loved everything about this place. People always end up staying on Koh Tao longer than planned, and staying at this place was a main reason why I extended my trip. I wish I could go back!

Room Tip: All of the dorm rooms face the street, private (hotel style rooms) are the beachfront ones
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

What an awesome review Thank you!

So glad that you enjoyed your stay, and please DO come back again!! As you said, koh Tao is rarely a place visited only once.
I'm pleased that you appreciate the Female Only Dorm - we are the only Dorm on Sairee Beach and with many travelers solo I hoped it would provide some safe feeling and probably better hygiene :)

Until next time......

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I found Goodtime because I was looking for a dorm with three things - AC, a hot shower, and beach access - and this place has them all! I was very happy staying at Goodtime, so much so that I ended up diving with their adventure company (and had a very positive experience there as well).

My room was clean and cool, the shower worked well, and there wasn't sand everywhere like there is in a lot of other places; they're very good at coming through to clean the rooms. The hotel is located smack in the middle of Sairee Beach, so you're close to everything.

I recommended plenty of fellow travellers to this place; for the money, this is the best dorm you'll find on the whole island!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Nicki180, Manager at Goodtime Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thanks Tim for your great review and positive feedback!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, the Dorm rooms only opened six months ago and has taken some to time to perfect! Located on the Beach I am thrilled to hear you found the room clean and sand free!! I will definitely pass on your comments and praise our Housekeepers, not a easy task in this very busy period.

Awesome that you will recommend us to fellow travelers, but we also hope that you come back for more adventures and another visit :)