“THE place for backpackers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpicyTao Backpackers

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
SpicyTao Backpackers
Ranked #40 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Bangkok, Thailand
“THE place for backpackers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I came here with the expectations to be just as good as SpicyPai, where I had an amazing time. And luckily SpicyTao lived up to it!

The owners, two Irish guys, will help you with everything you want to know and do. They certainly know how to run a backpackers hostel.

If back to basics is not for you, dont go there and don't complain. Koh Tao is not as fully developed as other Thai islands and therefore flowing water is scarce. Expect to be showering out of buckets and share dormrooms with the usual bugs. But the bathroom and dormroom is cleaned daily and the beds are more than fine.

What makes it the best is the common area where you lie down and watch movies 24/7.They have tons of movies and boredom will never be present in this hostel. A big table is where everyone sits, eats and drinks at. Thus a great place to meet new people!

Even for diving this hostel is great (very close to Roctopus, definitely check them out if you want to learn how to dive). Yes there are people partying in this hostel, but I have never had any problems with noisy guests or loud music.

All in all, the best place for social backpackers who want to have an awesome time at Koh Tao and dont care about luxury!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thom V

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

well, I was so puzzled the moment I booked this hostel, since the reviews in the hostel bookers said that it was remote, but without much options I had to go for this hostel, the moment I entered the place with two of my Swedish friends, I was glad to see the way hostel was located, you feel like midst jungle, and we were greeted by a Russian lady Lana, it was pleasure meeting this lady, she was so welcoming and was pretty helpful to guide us locate anything on the island, I was there for my first DSD and as suggested by her I went with roctopus, which was a great org and gave me unique sea experience, best place to meet other backpackers

Cheers
Shravan
Bangalore, India

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

This place was very basic, but met the most amazing people here. If you don't mind basic this place is very cheap. It is quite far away from the beach but is in walking distance. They also organize SCUBA diving for you if you need it

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Unless you are on the strictest of budgets, avoid this place. The bathroom was nothing less than infested and non functional- no water. My mattress was coated in plastic and one fan did nothing to cool the room. The smell of urine was discovered to be the waste pipe which emptied under the window next to our beds in 30 degree heat. Wildlife including but not limited to a variety of lizards and birds shared the dorm, the porch was covered in rubbish, other peoples stuff so old it had things growing on it- clearly ok to throw away at that point. Floor constantly filthy. None of these meals, nights out etc actually happened, the day i left was the day the manager came back and I get the feeling they just weren't bothered unless being watched. No amount of antiseptic could fix this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sarah R
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for one night during my trip to Koh Tao.
The rooms are all dorms and range from 4 to 10 beds. We stayed in a ten bed dorm. You get what you pay for when you stay here. You have to make your own beds and return bedding when leaving. The bathroom and toilet is just off from the bedroom and there was no window in our room.
There tend to be many other backpackers staying here so its a great place to meet people. Most people arrange diving trips from here with Rocktopus, which I would recommend.
The staff here are friendly enough, very laid back, to the point where I am not sure what they do all day except sit on the computer.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ami P
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I spent four nights in this hostel durings my travels and I'm very glad I chose this place. The room itself wasn't that fancy, the beds are quite uncomfortable and the air/con gets a bit cold at times. The bathroom was kind of smelly and gross after a while, but that's something I got used to in Thailand! I liked the location, it was quiet and relaxing, but just a 10 minute walk from the main beach.

What made my stay really worth it, was the fellow tarvellers. The vibe there was awesome, the other guests were super nice and it was very easy to make friends. The common area is fantastic, you can watch movies and tv-shows with others or take a nap in a hammock. I had a fabulous time here and I will definitely go back, maybe this time I'll stay in a fan room instead!

Room Tip: A/C rooms can get a bit cold if they're on all day.