“Couldn't have been better without Ju and Claudio”

Secret Garden Village
Ranked #17 of 74 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Couldn't have been better without Ju and Claudio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The owner, Claudio and a manager, Ju really made an impression on us for the two days we stayed there. Claudio was polite on the phone and understanding when a songtaew driver took advantage of us, and while he driving in town to get his car fixed he remembered my name and gave us ride back to the pier. Too kind!!

Ju was great too. He got us a bike, and accommodated us when we didn't return it filled by checking the gas level and charging us for the gas. He also helped us one evening when our bathroom door got locked. Thank you for all your help!

Rooms and vicinity were nice. We got an AC room, which had a full sized fridge, tv, fan, patio/deck furniture, coffee tea, soap shampoo, towels. My only issue would be that bathroom floors were uncomfortable to walk on as they were made if embedded pebbles. But thats me just trying to find something.

Ohh, and the walk through the coconut tree groove at night with full moon was unforgettable.
We would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights. The room itself is clean and the bed is comfortable. Bathroom is very dark but everything works. No mosquito net. Don't underestimate Tooz, the guy that runs it, he's great! At first he seemed a bit confused, but when our air con had broken at 10pm he went straight out on his bike into town to get someone to fix it, and when we came back it was working perfectly. If you don't want to rent a bike (we tried and failed after an hour, scooters are much harder than they look!) Tooz will give you a lift into town. The bungalows aren't that near the sea, and there is a long path which you need to use your phone torch for in the evening. Overall basic and comfortable stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamontoast9
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time at the Secret Garden. The clean bungalows have everything you need: a hot shower, airco, a large bed, coffee and tea, a fridge and a nice porch with 2 chairs and a table. The resort is nice and small and the guy who runs it is very friendly. The location is perfect: not to far away from the village and the beach (a 10 minute walk through the palm trees and you pass 2 waterbuffalo's on the way), but far enough from the crowds and the noise. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fieke H
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Rooms are all well-equipped and clean. Nice hot showers and complimentary tea and coffee on the balcony.

The dirt road can be scary at night as it's pitch black. Even with a torch I found myself quite nervous. Some lights along the way would do wonders.

Other than that the location is perfect and I'd recommend it!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Garrrys3
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I thought I would write my first ever review on here for this place because it is well deserved.

Also, it's only fair to update on some previous posts.

I think the owners here must read reviews people left as there appears to have been some small changes made following some previous comments. They really do put the customer at heart.

Ok so, ive read reviews about cold showers. I'm currently here on my fourth night and have not yet experienced a cold shower. They are always hot. Ok not the power shower you might have at home but that is standard across everywhere I've stayed in thailand. There does seem to be power cuts occasionally on ko tao so I should imagine if you take a shower during one you may not have warm water so may be best to wait.

Also I've read reviews about the balcony being empty with no furniture or hammock. I can now confirm every bungalow balcony has a table and two chairs with a selection of coffee, tea and a kettle. Lovely to have a coffee on in the morning.

'The dirt road' that everyone is talking about. It really isn't that bad. Yes it does get dark but each room is equipped with a torch. Often I've not wanted to take out the torch with me when I've being going out of a night time and found my iphone was adequate... If you have a strong pocket torch, even better!! It's really not that far to walk though to get to the main strip of bistros, beach bars, or restaurants. I wanted to be close enough to enjoy what's going on at night but far enough away get a peaceful sleep and I certainly can.

They also rent mopeds here for a very reasonable rate of 200bht per day and again, they are happy to provide these and do not want to rip you off in any way. Just be careful on the dirt track as it can be a but slippy.

The bungalows themselves are brilliant! No it's not a 5* hotel resort but you're not paying 5* resort money to stay here. What I can say is that they are clean, inviting, modern bungalows with the quirkiness of the bamboo look outside. The bathroom is just what you need. The bed is huge and comfortable. There's a full sized fridge, air con AND a fan.

The manager htoo is absolutely amazing! He speaks really good English, can't do enough to help. Every request I have had so far he has fulfilled. Whether it's to clean my room, borrow a moped, to do laundry. You name it he will sort it for you. The nicest thing is that everyday he says hello to me by name and is really nice to chat to. He really really makes this a relaxing place to chill.

The second best thing about this place is the little brown cat lol. Currently chilling at the end of my bed. So adorable. I think he may pop round for a stroke every now and then if you stay here. He's no fuss at all. Just wanders around sleeping from porch to porch.

I really don't have a bad thing to say about this place. It's absolutely perfect. I can see that families couples and backpackers are all here enjoying their stay.

I Was supposed to leave yesterday and I'm still here... I may even stay a little longer. I would definitely come back here to stay if I'm ever in ko tao again after this trip.

COME HERE :-)

Room Tip: I was in bungalow number 9
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Emma A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This place is excellent if you are looking to be close to sairee beach but slightly away from the nightlife and partying.

It's owner (or the guy that runs it) is really friendly, happy to help and always around.

You are booking into bungalows and paying very little a night so you should not go expecting luxury 5* standard. What you do get is a clean, well equipped with modern facilities and inviting bedroom/bungalow which will suit a couples needs when holidaying in Koh Tao.

We rented motorbikes from this place too and it was 200B for the whole day. New bikes with little milage on it, from a fair guy who isn't out to rip you off.

They offer laundry service which is good and seem to cater to all our needs (tea and coffee outside, fridge inside)

This place is perfect to explore koh tao from, 5 mins from town along a little track which is not horrendous to walk down at night like some other reviews say - it's a 400m (2 min walk) and they give you a flashlight.

A perfect cheap and lovely place to stay!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Millie H
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I booked 2 nights here in July and ended up staying for 8! This is a great little resort with comfortable rooms and good bathroom facilities. The rooms are spacious and come with good air con and a fan. This is a small establishment and the man who runs it is lovely. Really friendly and catered to our needs. The little brown cat Pi Lee (the owners cat) made our stay even better! We were sad to leave the secret garden but had to carry on with our travels.
The only downside to this resort is that the rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis HOWEVER if you ask the man he will happily clean your room and change your towels.
If I ever return to koh tao I will definitely be booking to stay here again! Well worth it and a very reasonable price !

Stayed July 2014