“Fantastic location, but over-priced”

Koh Tao Coral Grand Resort
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Overall, we were pleased with the Coral Grand Resort: some of the staff spoke excellent English and was very helpful, pool is great and the hotel is smack bang on a beautiful and quiet part of Sairee Beach. The breakfast buffet and the food in the restaurant excellent as well.

Only downside (and to be honest, this is not a minor complaint) was the bungalow. We had a "superior sailor cottage" with an extra bed, which we felt was over-priced considering the room standard. The "open-air" bathroom is a great idea in theory, but if you have small kids (and a wife with arachnophobia!) that prefer to brush their teeth without having to wrestle off insects, it ain't perfect.

The room was no-frills, small and basic but adequate ... but for the price, we had expected more.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 January 2010

The place was great, the bungalow we stayed in was pool side. The bungalow was roomy, clean and very comfortable. We stayed 4 nights and could have stayed longer. The resort was right on the beach, in amongst the night life and eateries. A short walk to the main strip, but far enough for it to be quiet if you had to have an early night due to an early morning dive. The diving was amazing and very well run and professional. Our dive instructor Kris, was awesome. I felt so comfortable, even though I was a little anxious about diving. The whole experience was wonderful and I would recommend anyone considering doing their Open Water certification to do it with this group. II will definitely be going back

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2010

The hotel didnt impres me, it was plain and ok cottages, but nothing four-five star special .. it seemed abit old and not shiny and bright. Service of hotel staff was non-proactive but have nothing to specificly complain about .. however..

The dive school!!!! .. I cant find words to describe my satisfaction with them except, complete five star satisfaction. Anyone involved in my PADI should get give star rating. The instructors, the funny thai boat staff, the dive school manager .. I am definitly returning and it will be to Grand Coral Divers..

But an advice: if you stay for diving, you pass out early anyways, dont waste time on comfort .. just get a room to fit your size and enjoy the diving .. you wont be staying in the room except for passing out. You can get cheap packages via TAT travel agency where stay and PADI is one package .. I paid same amount for stay as for PADI because i just showed up at the front and paid full price.

Go go go Grand Coral Dive team !! :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BrianVanloese
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I arrived in Koh Tao planning to stay only for a week or so to do my Open Water diving certification. Once arrived at the peer there was loads of scouts trying to persuade you to go to their resort. I viewed a few on the island but felt "at home" when i stepped into Coral Grand Divers.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and my diving instructor John 'chicken' Allen was very patient and professional. I ended up staying there for over 4 months progressing in my diving education right up to the level of Dive Master.
I had one of the best experiences of my life at Coral Grand and struggle to understand how it's possible to read negative reviews about the resort. The dive shop is very professional as the instructors and everything is organised impeccably!
The atmosphere is amazing, you find yourself drawn to it and you dont wont te ever leave. Big thanks to Jonas the boss and to all the guys at the dive shop!!
I will definitely go back some time next year!!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank G1976
Reviewed 12 December 2009

We booked the Coral Grand Resort after a recommendation from Samui Paradise, where we were staying at the time. We were assured it was a trusted resort, however after reading reviews from 'trip advisor' it appeared to have mixed reviews. Despite this we decided to go ahead.

We arrived at the resort and met with a very unfriendly , disinterested and impatient receptionist who explained after obtaining the full payment from us that the pool had no water in it and was under going some renovations! Not ideal but something we could live with.

We unloaded outluggage at our bungalow which was basic to say the least for the price and then took a stroll down towards the resort hub; the pool, restaurant, bar and beach, hear we found that the restaurant was also under massive construction and the 'resort hub' a building site! Which meant we could not only not use the pool but also the restaurant and unless we could put up with constant hammering and construction noise this included not being able to use the beach and bar. I complained to the receptionist and managed to get a moved to the hotels other resort which was better.

We did however enjoy our stay and discovered that Ko Tao is a beautiful place, with regards to Coral Grand, my advice is, unless the construction work is complete and the staff service greatly improved this resort i would not recommend, book early somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cookie044
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I'm surprised at some of the reviews. Koh Tao is just out of the backpack stage and for me it should not go further keep the current state. I'm travelling a lot for my work around the globe and I'm quite happy with the accomodation. Altough the restaurant was under renovation (This was very slearly indicated at the resertvation upon receipt and in the rooms) the service and food were simply good. Certainly not over priced.

The dive centre is definitly up to the 5 star padi standard. I'm an instructor since 1996 with more then 11.000 dives and I was impressed with the attention for safety and the willingness to adapt to individual wishes of the divers being from different levels of experiece.

I canw armly recommend this site and I'm back next year

Rene & Gaby

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We stayed in the free fan room that came with signing up for the PADI Open Water course. The first room we were given a key to was a bit ramshackle, with one of the window's screens not quite attached. When we asked for another room, we were graciously shown to a room that was basic, but clean and surprisingly cool with just a fan. I would recommend trying to find a corner room to get the breeze to blow through. We were really happy with our room, especially considering the price!

The cleaning staff and Thai staff in the dive shop were very helpful throughout our stay. The restaurant seemed mediocre, and a bit overpriced, compared to the other Sairee beach restaurants. The location was wonderful; slightly secluded from the hustle of Sairee, but only a 5-10 minute walk from the action.

We went into the course with open, excited minds. However, this kind of course is hit-or-miss based on the instructor, and ours was a big miss. Our instructor, Jackson, didn't have the patience to teach new divers. With a student-teacher ratio of 6-1, it was a bit scary to have my very first dive with an instructor who didn't take time to explain the steps of how to do something correctly in the middle of the ocean. After the first dive, my girlfriend began feeling quite dizzy on the boat, to the point of not being able to open her eyes. Jackson's verbal reaction was, "Oh, you must have had too many buckets last night." When I told him I would stay on the boat with my sick girlfriend rather than continue with the second dive, he was quite condescending.

We missed the 2nd-4th dives, but the next day we completed our academic part of the course. When we try the last 3 dives again, we'll be sure to go with a smaller establishment with a smaller teacher-student ratio and less pompous instructors.

So, to sum up: the OW course is a great value, ONLY if you get a good instructor.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple