“Nice people and fun”

Koh Tao Coral Grand Resort
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 March 2011

It is the quiet part of the beach, but only a walk in the sand away from the action. Nice people and good diving school at the hotel. It is the only place, at the island, that got a pool to practice diving in. I meet many nice people there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Koh Tao Coral Grand Resort

Reviewed 2 March 2011

We booked this resort before we arrived in Koh Tao when we were still in Bangkok. We later found this was a mistake, as if we had waited we would have gotten a better price on the boat to Koh Tao. There are many resort reps on the boat over and seemed more likely to barter on price than any of the booking agents in Bangkok (who would only offer a set price).

On arrival on Koh Tao we were collected from the port by a Coral Grand driver and driven to the resort. This was very handy as we didn't fancy the walk with heavy rucksacks.

My partner had booked to do the open water diving course which was over 4 days, the accommodation was built into the course price.

Overall, we were impressed with the Diving side of things:
- 1 instructor with approx 4-6 students
- Good dive sites with good visibility
- Good marine life
- Good equipment
- Fresh fruit and water provided on the boat (though think this is a standard thing on all boats)
- The boat crew really friendly and made things fun

BUT, on the hotel sort of things:
- Extremely unfriendly and rude and dismissive receptionist
- When we arrived, we waited for 2 hours as we had been told our room wasnt ready. When we asked the reception staff again, it transpired that they had forgotten about us and the room had been ready for a while.
- No bins in the toilet in the room for toilet roll (not allowed to flush toilet roll in Koh Tao)
-Aas there were no signs in the room telling us not to flush toilet roll, our toilet got blocked with toilet roll, and it took 3 days to get fixed. We reported this to the receptionist a number of times and she was useless and rude. To be honest, I don't even think she listened to us.
- Generally food very good in the restaurant and the service was good.
- Beach quite stony and very narrow, the tide touching the bottom of the sunbeds during the day.
- Pool is quite nice and big. Sunbeds were ok, most were broken but you could still use them.

We would recommend this resort but only for the diving, not the hotel service. Also, good to note that the diving courses are generally cheaper in Koh Tao than Koh Phi Phi.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2011

They have a nice location which is close to the main pier of the island. Actually the rooms and the restaurant were pretty much ok, if you do not count the hundreds of flies in your bathroom/sink. Most of the customers there were for the diving course, otherwise, the rooms are so overpriced and staying in this hotel is rather meaningless. (If you take the course, they give no-AC rooms for free, which is kind of ok if you do not expect much). I assume you plan a trip there for a PADI course. My negative vote goes indeed for the diving course for a coupe of reasons, some a bit personal, as they made me feel bad when talking to me after a few mistakes I did in diving. Actually, these are my thoughts, some teammates with more natural diving capability than me did no mistakes and they got along better with our instructor, without any problems and by the way there are many different instructors there. I don’t know which one you would encounter but all of them seemed so obviously commercial to me. So I would say do not expect any sincere friendly atmosphere or relationship here. I got into this place with advertiesment, I guess they are good at marketing. But in general, they make you feel like just another production-good in the factory, a total come and go and kind of hassle and hurry, including the boat-trips. You notice that they are so fluent and even pretty good at the course. But about attitute, yes they smile in your face but "professionally", yet they do not really want you to ask questions or they are not interested in you personally. Behind smiles, I could not feel any sincereness. And again, they can get angry pretty easily. I felt like as they are teaching the same course over and over many years, the instructors in this place got a bit intolerant and mean.
Some more objective reasons for my negative grade can be listed as for the theoretical course, they just go through reviews for most chapters. Our group was formed by 5 people. I saw them taking groups of people 6 which is a little bit too much, compared to other diving courses many of which do not group up more than 4 persons. Furthermore, the original PADI open water diving course is 4 days which is already dense enough but here they kind of further squeeze it to almost 3 days. (Yes, they officially teach the course in 4 days but they start with only a two hour video first day at 3pm and compress everything to the following days and end around noon the last day). Guess what! The faster they get rid of you, the more customers they can take in.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed there to take our padi course. While spending almost a week there and a lot of money we had an issue with the final bill. It was agreed that the resort would reimburse me the difference on my visa account and it could take up to two weeks. Its been almost 3 months and I have not seen a cent of this refund. I have made contact with the resort while being there through numerous emails. As it stands they have been of no help to fix this problem and after this long I no longer expect to see this money.

On our last day of diving we took place in a free dive. We were leaving later that day to realize that both my girlfriend and I had been robbed from our room (most likely the maids). A large amount of money was robbed from each of us which is a huge disappointment considering we spent more money at this resort then anywhere else during our 3 months of travel.

3 months later I still have not received my Padi certification card, nor does the padi website recognize my name in their database. 3 months later and I still regret my decision of staying here and doing my padi course.

With all this said, you make the decision whether you would like to stay here

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angevaa123
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The Hotel was really average to almost below average, the room was not new, it feels like you were back in the 80's, so if you like Vintage Style Hotel, you can go there....the shower room was really funky, they had the shower area in a tub that looked like either a wine or beer tub....
The food was really not good, breakfast was acceptable as you can't go wrong with eggs or fruits and yogurt, but other than that, do not order food there
The dive center and its staff team really made up for all the unacceptable part of the hotels, they were friendly and professional.
For next time, it would be better to stay at Koh Tao Cabana, the hotel next to it...and will just walk to the dive center....
By the way, the room that we booked was given to others so they made us move the room on the last night for our 3 nights stay...that was really annoying because we paid full price before we came, so they didn't have the room we booked and they said we had to move because other guests were checking in....we then reminded them that we were also the guests there too....
To Make It Short: Not a great hotel to stay at, probably if you want something average, this is definitely below it....but again, great dive center!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2011

SERVICE - doesnt exist there.
We booked a seaview villa. That was important for us.
When arrived reception took us to villa, facing the noisy swimming pool with divers (training all the time) instead. When we refused and asked "where is our beach villa we booked???" they said thats the only villa they have available now - so take it or leave it. Not giving a damn about what we booked...Showing absolutely no interested in our problems or in us whatsoever.

VILLA/CLEANESS
After you see pictures I published you gonna get sick. So there's no need to right a lot about the terrible condition of the rooms.
When we arrive the layer of dirt and dust was so big that we could see our steps on the floor!!! I asked smb to come and clean the room before we unpacked. The girl came laughing, after her cleaning we had to wash the room ourselves.

As the result there r insects both in a shower and in a bedroom... had to sleep with lights on all night (!!!) to make sure none of them come to our bed.

Terrible, just terrible place.
Never stayed in anything like thi before.
Will never recommened it to anyone.
They have not done anything to a place since 2006 (my friend stayed there before).
And thats a result.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anyaflexible
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed one week at Coral Grand Resort in the beginning of February 2010. We had a bungalow for the first time of our lives and did not know what to expect.

The bungalow was small: it had a large double bed (tough) which overtook most of the space in the room. There was also a terrace, but you couldn't use it in the evening because there were so many mosquitos.

The bathroom was in the ground and you had to walk down the stairs to get there (would not recommend if you are travelling with children). Bathroom itself was a bit exotic, but we kind of liked it. It had no bath, just a shower. There was no "real" floor but a cement floor in the other parts of the bathroom and rocks in the shower. Handy, no need to do plumming as the water just went to the ground... The roof was also interesting: part of it was open with just a net to keep the animal outside. I have to admit that I asked my husband to join me when I used the bathroom because I was scared of the spiders and cockroaches that share our bathroom... But as I said: definitely exotic!

Our bungalow was located next to the diving school's premises so we woke up every morning at 6 when the diving group left for their diving trip. After they had left we fell asleep so didn't let that ruin our vacation. Earplugs would have been handy!

The pool was also ok, but as this resort is a diving resort, there were often diving groups training and not that much space for the rest of us. The pool was quite small and deep.

But there were also positive things: I think the location of the hotel was nice. It was located in the end of the beach and there was not much traffic in the beach. It was nice to swim in the beach and I think it would be safe for kids also, because it was not that deep. The water was clear and the beach was ok.

I would recommend this hotel to some one who is not too picky and would like to learn to dive. I would not recommend this to a person who wants privacy and luxury and I don't think this is the best hotel for families with children.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple