“Paradise”

Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Cork, Ireland
“Paradise”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed in Anankhira for five nights recently and absolutely loved it. We arrived there at about 9.30 in the morning and were shown to our villa immediately and invited to come for breakfast after we had showered and freshened up. I was impressed with this as I did not expect breakfast on the morning we arrived. We stayed in Miltonia villa which was beautiful and the pool was quite private during the day. We generally spent a few hours there early in the day and late in the evening, going off to do many fun things around the island in between. The villa itself was stunning (even had a walk in wardrobe which was really nice as you get sick of looking at your open bags sitting at the end of the bed). The outdoor sitting area was just gorgeous with its views down to the sea. We did not eat here in the evenings although we were told that we could order something if we would like to stay there any evening. Yes, the mosquitos are a major issue here I can not lie. But they do everything they can by giving you free bug spray, mosquito nets and mosquito coils. By the very nature of where the villa is positioned (up in the trees) there is no way of avoiding them. It was a short walk to the beach (about 5 mins) and maybe another 5 mins to the action of the village.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eleven894
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thanks for your great review! We are so pleased that you got a feel for the natural beauty of the island- that’s exactly what we strive to do with our resort: luxury and nature all wrapped into one. Please do come back next time you’re on holiday!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Havent written a tripadvisor review before but was moved to by surfing the site and seeing the poor review a couple of reviews down. I have to say that none of the negatives they said we found – in fact the opposite. We stayed there for a week in Cattleya in April and it was a great place to spend some time. Firstly, location. It’s a 10 minute walk from the centre of Sairee village which means you are on hand for the bars, restaurants, shops but you can actually sleep at night!

The villa itself is charming; very rustic and built in sympathy with the environment around it. It’s a small resort (I think 4 or 5 villas). Other than the villas there is a nice breakfast area (breakfast included) where you can have breakfast or have it delivered to your villa if you prefer. The villa itself has your own pool, an outside ‘cabana’ style lounge area (covered with open sides) with sofa, cable TV, DVD player and library all provided, leading off to the private pool. The bathroom area / bedroom are in a separate indoor air conditioned building adjacent to the pool. Everything was spotlessly cleaned inside and out, serviced every day including the pool. There is a well stocked, good sized (and cheap!) mini bar and the staff will stock this with whatever you need. The bedroom is a good size, king size bed, with a stunning full glass front view over the private pool, the forest and out to sea. If you want a small friendly personal resort with fantastic staff – thanks, Kit & team! This is the place for you. This does not claim to be a sprawling 5 Star resort compound, you wont find acres of marble and gold taps; it isn’t and for me that’s a compliment. Its also great value – where else in Asia can you get a private pool villa for under £100 a night with breakfast, free taxi from the ferry, with such fantastic facilities and within walking distance of all the amenities of somewhere as lovely as Sairee Beach?

Anankhira is perfect if you want to just spend time ‘away from it all’ in your own villa or use a base for Sairee beach or exploring the island. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Can recommend Cattleya as thats the one we stayed in. Great views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John-Lucy71
, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you so much for your review and in particular for putting the record straight regarding the unpleasant and untruthful review entitled "Disappointing Needs Major .."

We love our resort and have fantastic staff who take great pride in their work so it is just great to know that our customers really appreciate all our the work that goes into making this an unique resort. We offer a small and intimate experience for the more discerning traveller who prefers the privacy and tranquility that Anankhira can offer.

I hoe you will come back and visit us again soon.
Kells, Ireland
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My first reaction on entering our villa was "wow", the views, the pool, the inside/outside living room, the bathroom cut into the rock. This is truely a get back to nature, get away from it all place. It certainly isnt the place for those with a fear of insects or nature but it is a gorgeous place to be. We were met by the friendly, well informed Kit and who gave us a mobile phone so that we could contact her at anytime which I thought was a lovely touch, unfortunately when we did try to ring her later that evening we discovered their was no credit in the phone so maybe this should be checked prior to guests arriving. Also we discovered the torch in our room also wasnt working or charged which considering how dark it is when walking back to resort at night was a shame.
The pool is fabulous, we really enjoyed our swims everyday and the great way that the resort is designed you arent overlooked. We were the only people staying here while we were there so it felt a little like we were on a deserted island. Breakfast is simple but nice, we also had lunch and dinner a couple of times there and it was really good.
Lots of mosquitos but the resort kindly provides sprays etc and mosquito net over the bed for guests which is a nice touch.
Overall a lovely tropical resort and we will gladly return someday.

Room Tip: We stayed at Laelia villa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank buffy01
, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Sorry about the phone and the torch usually our staff are on the ball! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and would be lovely to see you again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

It is with a heavy heart that I give this place a low rating but I have to be honest for the sake of other travellers out there. It has taken me a while to decide exactly what to put on my review. I hope that the owner decides to make some major improvements as this place does have potential but right now it is overpriced for what it is. Based on responses to other low reviews I am sure the owner will try to refute everything I say but hopefully you the reader see that we are just sharing our experience straight up.

We were so excited when we found this place online as the photos make it look fabulous. We read through all the trip advisor reviews and then contacted the villas to book in because we thought that the good reviews outweighed the bad. We were greeted by a lovely manager on arrival who took us to our villa. When we walked into the villa our hearts sank. The room was filthy and covered with a layer of dust that was all over the furniture and floors in all areas of the villa. The pool area had electrics running very close to it and felt unsafe for our child to play in as it was within grabbing reach. This could easily be fixed so I hope management fixes this up for future guests. I also hope the management replaces any old or ripped towels because for the rate you pay per night you would expect towels without any holes nor would you want a towel that smells funny. The sheets need to be cleaned better as well… when we laid our child down between us to sleep and realised the pillow had blood on it. I looked closer and there was even blood on the sheets as well as on the mosquito netting. As stated in other reviews there seems to be an issue with lots of mosquitoes. We did not encounter this anywhere else on the island so I am not sure why they are so attracted to the villa we were in. I know that you have to expect lots of bugs in any tropical place but this was a bit over the top.

It was too late to do anything about the villa so after one night we did go to the manager and explain that this villa was unacceptable. She said she would clean it up for us. I was hesitant but decided to see if this made a difference. About an hour later we went to town to organise some dives. But as we walked down the steps to our quad bike my husband realised he forgot something so he went back up to the villa and he walked in on over 10 people cleaning the room. In the end we decided we did not want to stay any longer. So we went back to the manager on duty and told her that we wanted a refund. She said that this was not a problem and that she would get our refund taken care of through the owner. So we packed up and headed off on our quad bike to find somewhere else to stay.

When we had received an email from the owner a day later she seemed to be wavering on the refund and she mentioned that the people staying in the villa before us did not complain and thought the room was lovely…well if it was in such great shape then why did it require over 10 people to clean it up? I felt like the owner (who was not at the hotel at the time) was being a little condescending to me and I hope she realises that you should not compare customers nor should you make light of an issue that was very disturbing and upsetting to us…the blood issue was really disconcerting and surely this is understandable to her. For these prices you just expect a bit more on Koh Tao. If it was a lot cheaper you would make allowances for some things but at this rate you expect clean and sanitary conditions. We did get our refund so we are thankful that in the end she understood and was gracious.
On a positive note, the staff that work at this place are fabulous. They are some of the nicest people we have met in all of our trips to Thailand. So we have to say the Anankhira has heaps of potential and is very lucky to have such lovely staff working on location. It is because of the friendly and helpful staff on duty at the villas that we are giving this place two stars and not one.
Improvements that should be considered include: tiling the bathrooms (or most of the villa), having more lighting in the bathroom (or make the window bigger to let in more light), the whole place given a paint job and any loose wiring finished. Actually tiling the villa it would be an inexpensive way to make it look a whole heap nicer…plus it makes for easy cleaning. Small improvements usually make a big difference to guests. Also, the pond or pool looking area near reception should be finished off as it looks poor in the state it is in now.
I hope that next time we are in Koh Tao the Anankhira has made some improvements as I would like to see it become the fabulous place it should be….and then I would even give it a second chance.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank vs2008vs
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
It was with great sadness that I read this review and disappointment that's the reviewer tries to undermine any response I may consider before a response is even posted. Trip advisor allows owners and managers to respond in an attempt to ensure that potential visitors receive a balanced view.

First of all let's get some facts straight about our Trip Advisor reviews. At the time of writing 83% of these are either excellent or very good. Three of the four poor reviews are from July and September 2007 and one from September 2009, all from a time when the resort was under different management.

The reviewer arrived at our resort at 4pm, hardly “too late to do anything about the villa” they could have easily drawn any issues to the attention of our Manager at that point but decided not to do so until the following day. This does seem a little odd considering how they now describe the situation in which they allegedly found themselves. As they say the staff were “fabulous” surely they must have known that they would make every effort to resolve any issues they may have had.

I myself responded by e-mail immediately I was made aware of the situation and told the guests that “be assured that we take this matter very seriously”, I think it is unfair to describe this response as “wavering on the refund “ or “ being a little condescending” or “making light of an issue that was very disturbing and upsetting to us “ (i.e. the guest). I had also explained in that email that I wanted to look into the issues they raised in more detail. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that one of my lines of enquiry was to contact the guest who, after a stay of seven nights in the same villa, had left the Villa the day before. They would have an objective opinion. In the event they did not concur with any of the cleanliness or other issues that the reviewer suggests and neither did my customer services manager who went to inspect the room. We did instigate a further clean just to be absolutely certain. It would have been impossible to have 10 or more people cleaning the villa as we only employ 5 resort staff! The reviewer didn't even have the courtesy to look at the villa after this further clean had taken place.

I could take each point of this review and refute it but I don’t feel the need to do that because I'm sure that the other 31 excellent reviews here on trip advisor will allow the reader to make up their own minds. Suffice it to say that all of us at Anankhira were very upset by this review as we take great pride in our resort and the service that we offer to our guests.

I would just like to leave the reader with one final piece of information. At the same time that I was in correspondence with the reviewer I had an unsolicited e-mail from another guest who was staying at the resort at the same time. They wrote:

We are Guests of your Resort and we heard something about unhappy guests in Villa 3. Since the last 4 Years we stay at Annakhira Resort and we are very very satisfied. Yesterday we saw Kit and her Team cleaning and checking Villa 3, (the villa in question) never before we saw a better cleaned Room. We see every year a lot of Hotels, so we think we have a lot of experience about this. If our Opinion is interesting for you, so we think, sometimes People are searching for Problems and they are never satisfied.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Very beautiful resort. Private pools are awesome and very private. All accommodations are perfect. The included breakfast was huge and delicious. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All rooms looked amazing and have own private pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MsMarno
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your opinion with other travellers. Hope to see again soon!
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The villas are in a really beautiful location on Koh Toa and are sensitively built into the hillside incorporating the natural surroundings.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, Kit was especially helpful to us.

We hired a moped for two days which was needed as it was too far to walk anywhere and saved taking taxis all the time.

We ate in our room the first night and the food was very nice. The next day we went out for a full day and took the option of a packed lunch. Honestly, it wasn't really up to much and we didn't bother the next day as the are no shortage of food options at very cheap prices all over the island.

Our only complaint was not really anything the hotel could do anything about, which was being bitten to pieces by mosquitos! The bed did have a mossie net, which was needed!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and loved the island.

• Stayed November 2011
7 Thank Neilroberts01
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Your opinion is very important to us so thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very proud of the service we offer and glad that you enjoyed your time with us.
Francestown, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 October 2011

one of the best place of Ko Tao 6 WE HAVE STAYED 4 NIGHTS in family ... very very nice memories ... animation and beaches not far away .... good situation in the island good welcome good attention from the people there .... everything perfect exept some mosquitos in aug we will recommend and would like to go back

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank aparna1414
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Please do visit us again we would love to see you all!