“Great for Discover Scuba Diving (DSD)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Great for Discover Scuba Diving (DSD)”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We did a whole day DSD course and absolutely loved it. We felt everyone who worked there was very professional. We loved how we were only in a small 4-person learning group (although obviously there are more people on the boat), and we felt very well taught by our instructor, 'Tarique'. After looking at other offers and hearing stories, we have congratulated ourselves fully on making the decision to go with Crystal :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I took PADI Open Water course (4 days) in Crystal during July with instructor Jennifer Burford and the experience was great. The school environment is lively and international, reception staff is always actively tryin to help you, and thats not an easy task when you have more than 100 students around. The lessons and dive and amazingly well coordinated. My instructor, Jen, is an excellent diver but an even betteR teacher. Together with instructor student Amanda always kept up until every student in the group had understood, practiced and demostrated that exercises were clear. Restaurant within the school is good, cheap and has a wide menu (6 types of breakfasts). The only improvement point would be the free accomodation (bungalows) that come with the courses. They definitely need more cleaning and some renovation. Ask for a VIP room (1000 extra bath / night) if they are available.

Room Tip: Ask for a VIP room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I came to dive in Koh Tao.
There are litterally dozens of dive shops in Koh Tao, many more than figuring on the web. I chose Crystal after looking over a number and it was the right choice.
Being an experienced diver I wanted to be taken to as many different sites as possible and this is what I got.
Crystal run 3 big boats that leave from the pier, so divers do not have to be transfered from the beach. You just walk on. For fun-divers, Crystal provides experienced Dive Masters who know the sites. Each DM takes a small group of about 4 divers. Also, security is paramount. The boat master does a roll call after embarcation and after each dive. One can dive up to 4 times per day and the die-hards can also do a night dive on certain days.
All in all it was a most pleasant and rewarding experience.

I lodged in the adjacent Regal Resort, a room with a view on the ocean, facing west, with incredible sunsets. The room was very large and kept very clean. Complimentary bottled water was provided daily. The swimming pool was appealing but I used it only once, the sea being a stone throw away.

A lovely 10 day holiday in this island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Just back from completing my Open Water diving course with Crystal - it was an absolutely brilliant experience with a great bunch of guys. As most of the reviews on here say, the place is pretty busy (especially just before and after Full Moon - book in advance!!) and the group sizes are bordering on too big (we had 7 in our group), but apart from that I can't fault the guys at all! Our instructor for the course was Jen, with help from Divemaster-trainee Amanda, and both of them were brilliant - really helpful with sorting out accommodation, made the theory and skills really simple, were great at pointing things out underwater that I would probably have missed and were even pretty forgiving when we turned up a couple of hours late for our theory test after a heavy night on the booze! Cheers guys!

The best part about Crystal however is the video you can get at the end. On your last couple of dives, you will have someone with your group videoing it and you can buy it (for a pretty reasonable price considering what you get!) if you want, but not before seeing it on the big screen at the bar (alongside your team and a well-deserved, cold beer)! You even get to decide on the soundtrack for it! I must've watched mine at least 15 times since I got back to Scotland and still not bored of it! Worth every penny...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in August 2013.

I'll split the review into 2 parts, the accommodation and the diving school.

Accommodation:
600baht/night/bungalow for a 3-bed bungalow does seem cheap. However, that only works if you have 3 people. Since there's only 2 of us, we have to pay 300baht/night(on the days that we were not diving) We get discounts on the day that we dived. The room was a fan-room. I have to say that it gets really warm and stuffy during mid-day.
Our unit was also right at the end of the hill approximately 150m away, and that means very poor Wi-Fi connection. To add to that misery, there were constructions going on at the back just behind our unit - impossible to take an afternoon nap.
The bathroom doesn't provide toilet paper, with a sign that says "Do not flush toilet paper down, protect our beach" or something along that line. What intrigues me is that most of the other toilets in Koh Tao provides toilet paper in the bathroom!
Much to my dismay, they only have cold shower in the bathroom as well.
The tv only has 2 channels that are working, and they are both sports channel.
The bed was terrible! We could feel the spring at the bottom of the bed. Change it please!

Location wise, I would say that its excellent. The shop locates itself just by the beach, and its very nice to just lie down on the sandy beach and relax. very awesome indeed.

Diving Centre:
Since my last dive was a couple of year ago, I signed up for the scuba refresher course at 1,800 baht. How long was the course? 2 hours. My instructor, Emma, was perfect. She was patient and encouraging. However, the price is extremely steep & I will recommend everybody to take it somewhere else. The scuba review is only conducted in their swimming pool. However, a quick check with Roctopus Dive reveals that their Scuba Reviewer cost 1,900 baht, and it includes 2 dives out in the sea! Total rip-off in my opinion. Well, at least I got a 10% off my Advanced Open Water since I did the Scuba Reviewer there.

Took my advanced open water with Crystal dives. Had a change of instructor after the 1st day because he wasn't feeling well. Both instructors, Manu and Tariq, are nothing short of awesome! They are both very nice and very friendly to us. On the other hand, their accountant/cashier behind the glass window does look nasty and mean. Wouldn't want to get near him; i think he bites.

Room Tip: Pick a room nearer to the dive resort for 2 reasons. 1) good wifi connection, 2) away from the const...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here for 5 days last year. I did a Open Water and Advanced course. We where with 8 people during the theoretical stuff and with two groups of 4 during the pool practice and dives. All the instructors are very friendly but I was very happy to have Tina as instructor. During all dives also some instructors in training where coming with us, so enough help and instructors, I felt very safe! The accomodation is basic but free during the course. Altough it is one of the big diving schools on the island it didn't feel like that for me at all! Would recommend this school to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Have been travelling around Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and north Thailand for the past 2 months and this is the single best thing that I have done during my trip was with my girlfriend and some mates well worth everyone doing it

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple