“Crappy Crystal dive resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Crappy Crystal dive resort”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We booked our scuba dive experience with bungalow. Firstly we had to fill whole bunch of papers what is OK. The bungalow we where put to stay was dirty, sink in the bathroom was leaking, bed was terrible we could feel metal parts of it massaging our backs.
Next day we went through training course where we wehere explained some basic skills how to use equipment and im the afternoon got to dive for 30 minutes. The instructor was rude sometimes what didn't made experience great so choose not to do second dive for which you have to make extra 700 bath.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrius P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

First off, the only reason I didn't give this place the lowest rating is because the dive course was good. This review is mostly to deter others from staying at this dump, there are plenty of other options within walking distance!

The standard accomodation that is included with the dive course was pretty dismal but it's free, so I wasn't expecting much. My friend and I got in, and there were no bed linens except a towel at the bed of the bed which I was told was a "Thai blanket". I'm not stupid, thanks. There was also residue of a previous tenants vomit on the wall, and the bathroom shower basically sprayed onto the toilet seat the bathroom was so small. We decided we had it in our budget to upgrade, so we asked to see what the payed accomodation looked like.

We got upgraded to what looked like a fairly decent room (still not worth what we were paying). After a few days, we realized we had BED BUGS in the room. I am an experienced traveller, and have seen bed bugs before with other friends of mine. I even found the shells of the bugs in the bed, and the bites were characteristic of bed bugs (3 bites in a row, next to eachother). I told the management right away - well I told someone, who went behind some ridiculous glass wall that cut off access to hotel management. Whoever this manager is, wouldn't give me the time of day to talk to me directly-extremely rude, and instead I was told to sit in the hotel bar area, and wait for her to go get a cleaner to look at it.

I waited for a long time with no one coming to get me, and then when I went back to the office, I was told that someone went to check it and there were no bed bugs. That, actually, the bathroom door was open, so it was just mosquitos. First off, the bathroom door was busted and would not close, so yeah, there was some mosquitos that went into the room. That does not explain the bodies of bugs in my bed, and I know the difference between a mosquito bite and a bed bug bite! If anyone cared to talk to me they would know the details. So Crystal had someone to come in and clean my room (for the first time in 5 days?) and sprayed some bug spray to kill whatever mosquitos were there and that was there bed bug protocol. Whoever has that room next, enjoy, you'll have some friends sleeping with you. Also, they refused to offer any compensation or even have my things washed in hot water to kill any bugs I could've gotten in my things, because they maintained that there were no bed bugs!

Oh, I also saw COCKROACHES in the bathroom at night, so there's that.
Terrible hotel staff, bed bugs, cockroaches - the worst.

Room Tip: Dont' stay at Crystal Dive, just take the dive course there if anything. No one I talked to ther...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Roma R
vietnam
Reviewed 29 December 2013

good for diving not right in the main area have to walk about 20minutes over a big hill or get a taxi for af fixed price
basic room fan barely worked, basic toilet and shower, very little wifi in the room but free in common areas, loveyl beach wee bit overpriced restaurant
pool is for divers only not for their companions

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Got referred to do my diving lessons by a friend at Koh Tao and settled on crystal dive as the place to do it. The whole time during my open water certification the instructors were very helpful and knowledgable and I felt completely safe the entire time. When ever I had a problem or a question they took their time to make sure I understood. The accommodation in site is a bit basic but your not there to spend time in the room so I didn't mind. Glad I got certified and now can dive any where in the world!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Didn't plan on getting diving certified, however was convince by numerous people to try it out, and was recommended Crystal Dives by a friend. The villa was very basic, you do not stay at Crystal for the accommodation. The diving programs were very well taught, I learned so much, and am happy to be part of the Padi divers now, and look at the underwater world in a completely different way! Such an amazing experience, Crystal also offers to record your final 3+4 dives which you could purchase the DVD for after, making a great memory for years.

Overall, loved my experience here!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Diving at this resort was class,, first and foremost you go to Koh Tao to dive and this place was amazing at that! Also there bar area was really cool with dive videos being played at night and most if not all the instructors buzzing about all to happy to have a drink and chat!

Our instructor, Ozzy, was amazing and funny too! Always available to drink or discuss the course! The main reason for us returning a few weeks later for a fun dive!

Anyway as the resort staff will tell you the rooms are honking with not much going for them but like I said before you come to Koh Tao to dive so that didn't really put me off.

What did annoy me though was the arrogant, small minded and rude Thai man that worked in the office! He was a nightmare from the second we arrived never with a smile on his face just sat in the office demanding money! Which he felt was his god given right! Honestly I can forgive the shocking state of the rooms but that bloke made me want to walk out the second I arrived! And that's really why it's only 3 star for me cos the diving was amazing and experience amazing until u meet this bloke! Never has one man ruined it for me more than him!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

After an overnight trip we get to Ko Tao to be herded a couple of hundred metres from the pier to this 5 star diving resort. 5 star I can assure you it is not! Instead of being shown to our rooms via reception, we were sat down to fill in a load of forms. My girlfriend was there to dive, I was not. After about half an hour of form filling and discussion about I honestly don't know what, we were shown to our bungalow. THESE BUNGALOWS ARE NOT FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION!! I could not believe they were serious about putting us there! The smell of the sewer was only too apparent, the sink in the so called bathroom didn't have a drain and drained onto your feet below and the state of the beds and mattresses was DISGUSTING!
To cut a long story short, we moved to another room which was mediocre to say the least and moved out of the resort the next day.
My girlfriend continued to do her diving with them, but, I refused to even step foot in the place. The staff there seemed oblivious to the state of the place. Everywhere you looked there was rubbish and dirt and nobody seemed to give a damn that they were working amongst all of this filth!
Apparently the diving is pretty well organised, but, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. There are many dive resorts in Thailand and this one will either soon have to address its issues or face a decline in business!
To the management: How can you be so cheeky to your customers? Asking me to do your housekeeping is an insult when your staff are sitting around doing nothing!!
Good luck, you will need it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple