“Worst experience ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Zurich, Switzerland
“Worst experience ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I heard a lot good things about this place, so I decided to do my Padi open water course here.
I had the worst of accommodation, old, stinky, the bathroom overflown with dirty water...

The worst though was the diver instructor Shannon, he kept yelling and being extremely impatient. We where only 4 people (other courses all where 8). First of all this guy could not explain anything twice without getting annoyed. Second he kept screaming at me in the swimming pool, "do it again!", "kick your feet!!!" Not taking in to consideration that I was exhausted, shivering cold, and screaming at me doesn't help at all! And in the end I just heard him saying "Jesus Christ" and being really annoyed. I got so fed up with this guy that I left the course! How am I supposed to trust a guy out in the open ocean with your head under water if doesn't take you serous in the first place... ? After al I am the paying customer, a human being not a machine. This guy should stop teaching at least teaching the beginners, since he is so fed up if they cant follow his military pace and need to ask a question or two.
Also I was extremely cold in the swimming pool which he didn't care about at all. Didn't we just learn you have to get out of the water when you are shivering....
I really don't know what all the fuss is about Crystal Diving being this good.... All the instructor Shannon cared about, was when he was off so he could go and see his friends and it seemed he was really feed up with teaching.
Also the equipment is so old! Even the instructors are swearing, it doesn't make you fell more secure, after all diving is not a walk in the park, things can go seriously wrong, and most important, if you have a traumatic experience under water your dream of learning to dive might be ruined forever...
I was extremely disappointed with this place, and I am very happy I left, even though I lost the money. I went to an other small diving school, where they took all my concerns extremely serious, there was time to learn, to ask questions, to take your time, they gave me 2 wetsuits and all in all I got my Padi Open Water certificate and kept on diving. I wished I had never gone to Ko Tao, (or at least gone to a small place in the north/sout east, there are some small schools there that are really good)
There are also great diving schools on Ko Phangan, Ko Lipe and so on. Don't know what all the fuss in Ko Tao is about except it is cheap, but who wants to gamble with there life over money, its not that much you save.
So if you are a beginner, never been diving before, maybe need to learn new stuff at your own pace and not in a military camp, go to a small diving school, forget Crystal, its not worth it!
Also the classes are really big, you watch the videos for hours and hours and you don't get the Padi book! How are you supposed to learn when you don't even get the book. I really seems like a big diving factory, crystal cares about giving as many certifications as possible, and they have long lost the personal aspect in their approach. I hope no one has to go through what I went through this instructor ruined a lot of my holiday, and speaking with others, I know I am not the only one, just a lot of people cant be bothered to write about it on tripadvisor.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank trisha s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We did not stay at the hotel we were only at the dive centre.
A nice dive centre, right at the beach. The staff was entertaining and very helpfull and friendly.
2 boat trips per day (7.00 and 12.00) for a 2 tank dive trip.
As most tourists come here to get there certification, there were a lot of students around. We are fun divers and were always serviced in small groups (max 5 persons per Dive Master) which was very nice.
It is often crowded at the dive sites, which was less pleasant.
The equipment was not in good shape: as a divers you are always responsible for your own safety, so make sure you test your equipment properly.
It all depends on what you are used to: for us the boats were dirty and the equipment not in good conditions (compared to what you will expierence in the Carribean).
Staff is very helpfull and pleasant to be around. We had a very nice time diving with Crystal for about 10 days.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with A/C.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a dive hotel, just go for it, if you are planning to do other stuff rather than diving I wouldn't recommend you this place. I couldnt have more fun doing my course here, everybody was super cool and chill out. Instructors were great and dives were always fun. Looking forward to do my Advance next time I visit Thailand. My room was actually really good and was included in the price of my course. The bar is fun, both instructors and students meet and share a beer or two, great to meet new people and exchange experiences. Restaurant is O.K. There's heaps of other restaurants around. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

If you want a fun and engaging certification in SCUBA I strongly suggest you go to Crystal.

I just completed my PADI open water and had a fantastic experience. My instructor was Nuno and he was brilliant.

The rooms are spartan, but all you really use them for is sleeping. Alternatively you can upgrade your room for a daily fee. Don't expect luxury!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Wrightoff
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I had a great experience doing my advanced open water and had a dedicated instructor, but some of the DMs I had on fun dives and the office staff during my stay in particular are clearly only there to dive conveniently and hang out with friends; they don't have much aptitude for dealing with people or teaching.

The free/discounted accommodation for divers is reasonable - I would never stay here if I wasn't diving every day, but as a place to crash and shower after diving it's fine. The wifi is horrendous, but it seems like it's that way everywhere on the island.

The restaurant has good food and decent prices for Koh Tao. The cheapest curries, etc. that I saw after browsing a lot of menus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank zobyt07
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

The staff who works here is amazing, They have very friendly instructors who really know what they are doing. I felt safe all the time and the equipment they used was very good. I recommend you suggest your dive master to take you to drop you off on the way back in front of the resort. There is a dive you can do from the boat and you swim all the way to the dive shop.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Took my wreck specialty course through them, course was good, as was the instructor. However, the resort itself...not so much...were told accommodation was free during the course, later to change to a not so pleasant experience sharing a room with another couple. We didn't stay, room was dirty, etc.

I would have been happy if we were told no rooms are available, perhaps a small discount in lou of would suffice, or pay some extra to upgrade a room??

Understanding the place was extremely busy, but some honesty upfront would go a long way...

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family