“Impatient instructors and poor accommodation.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Jose C. Paz, Argentina
“Impatient instructors and poor accommodation.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Firstly and most importantly, I felt that the instructors for our course were impatient and rude, while Neal Sanders was better than Shannon, he was also condescending and impatient not to mention unhelpful at times, Shannon was far worse and became verbally aggressive with us even using disrespectful terms toward us, this was not acceptable.

We're paying customers not children and we don't deserve to be treated like burdens.

Secondly the bungalow was overpriced and dirty not to mention poorly lit and poorly furnished, the beds were hard and the bathroom a mess, I definitely don't recommend crystal,

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank eccentric_wanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Im sorry but Ill have to disagree with the bad review about shannon, agreed he can be full on but his main concern was our saftey. His instuctions are clear and i believe he has a excellent teaching style; i was confident to get into open water after a couple days insruction with shannon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jess M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The other reviews on here seem to be reviewing the free accommodation over the actual classes. The accommodations are FINE, and FREE(!), and if you expect something exceptional, then upgrade to an AC room or stay somewhere else.

What's important are the classes and instruction, which are amazing! We had Dirk for our first day of instruction, and Sasha for the rest. Great individual attention - we were in a group of three people total. Excellent place to learn to dive, good for meeting people, and the sunsets from the bar are lovely. The water was clear, and we were lucky to see some great stuff on our dives.

Fantastic value, some of the cheapest we found for outstanding, individualized instruction. Thanks Sasha & Dirk! And thank you, Crystal!

I also recommend getting the professional video. Cool shots! Well done, Ash!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank American Bird z
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Recently my girlfriend and I decided to get our PADI open water certification. After researching a few places, we decided on Crystal.

Some of the reviews on here made us a little leary but we went with it anyway.

As far as the complaints go, I can not understand where these people had issues, unless they expected the four seasons for free.

The instructors, Sasha and Dirk, were absolutely amazing. Very patient and fun to be around. I'm hoping to go back again some day.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I completed my padi open water and advanced courses with crystal dive and had a great time doing so. My dive insteuctor for these two corses was Jen. She was patient, attentive and also worked hard to.make sure that all within the group are comfortable and enjoying their time. The instruction I recieved from Jen I found made me a confident diver which is what got me addicted to diving... Which brings me on to my deep dive spec course. For this course I was instructed by shannon. Shannon seemed confident in our abilities in the group as advanced divers and treated.us as such this made a big difference as his confidence transferred onto us. Both Jenny and Shannon are very experienced divers and.it was an absolute pleasure to learn to dive from them. Crystal dive resort comes highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank mankini100
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I heard a lot good things about this place, so I decided to do my Padi open water course here.
I had the worst of accommodation, old, stinky, the bathroom overflown with dirty water...

The worst though was the diver instructor Shannon, he kept yelling and being extremely impatient. We where only 4 people (other courses all where 8). First of all this guy could not explain anything twice without getting annoyed. Second he kept screaming at me in the swimming pool, "do it again!", "kick your feet!!!" Not taking in to consideration that I was exhausted, shivering cold, and screaming at me doesn't help at all! And in the end I just heard him saying "Jesus Christ" and being really annoyed. I got so fed up with this guy that I left the course! How am I supposed to trust a guy out in the open ocean with your head under water if doesn't take you serous in the first place... ? After al I am the paying customer, a human being not a machine. This guy should stop teaching at least teaching the beginners, since he is so fed up if they cant follow his military pace and need to ask a question or two.
Also I was extremely cold in the swimming pool which he didn't care about at all. Didn't we just learn you have to get out of the water when you are shivering....
I really don't know what all the fuss is about Crystal Diving being this good.... All the instructor Shannon cared about, was when he was off so he could go and see his friends and it seemed he was really feed up with teaching.
Also the equipment is so old! Even the instructors are swearing, it doesn't make you fell more secure, after all diving is not a walk in the park, things can go seriously wrong, and most important, if you have a traumatic experience under water your dream of learning to dive might be ruined forever...
I was extremely disappointed with this place, and I am very happy I left, even though I lost the money. I went to an other small diving school, where they took all my concerns extremely serious, there was time to learn, to ask questions, to take your time, they gave me 2 wetsuits and all in all I got my Padi Open Water certificate and kept on diving. I wished I had never gone to Ko Tao, (or at least gone to a small place in the north/sout east, there are some small schools there that are really good)
There are also great diving schools on Ko Phangan, Ko Lipe and so on. Don't know what all the fuss in Ko Tao is about except it is cheap, but who wants to gamble with there life over money, its not that much you save.
So if you are a beginner, never been diving before, maybe need to learn new stuff at your own pace and not in a military camp, go to a small diving school, forget Crystal, its not worth it!
Also the classes are really big, you watch the videos for hours and hours and you don't get the Padi book! How are you supposed to learn when you don't even get the book. I really seems like a big diving factory, crystal cares about giving as many certifications as possible, and they have long lost the personal aspect in their approach. I hope no one has to go through what I went through this instructor ruined a lot of my holiday, and speaking with others, I know I am not the only one, just a lot of people cant be bothered to write about it on tripadvisor.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank trisha s
The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We did not stay at the hotel we were only at the dive centre.
A nice dive centre, right at the beach. The staff was entertaining and very helpfull and friendly.
2 boat trips per day (7.00 and 12.00) for a 2 tank dive trip.
As most tourists come here to get there certification, there were a lot of students around. We are fun divers and were always serviced in small groups (max 5 persons per Dive Master) which was very nice.
It is often crowded at the dive sites, which was less pleasant.
The equipment was not in good shape: as a divers you are always responsible for your own safety, so make sure you test your equipment properly.
It all depends on what you are used to: for us the boats were dirty and the equipment not in good conditions (compared to what you will expierence in the Carribean).
Staff is very helpfull and pleasant to be around. We had a very nice time diving with Crystal for about 10 days.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with A/C.