“Great tuition and great people on an idyllic island”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Great tuition and great people on an idyllic island”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I recently completed my advanced courses and a couple of specialty qualifications at Crystal and I can honestly rate the tuition as first class...having learnt to dive in the red sea and subsequently dived in a lot of places around the Mediterranean, if you want to really advance your skills or even dive for the first time, these guys have all you need and at an affordable rate.

Accommodation around the resort varies but essentially you get what you pay for...you can stay at their sister hotel Regal Resort if you want a bit more luxury, which I did for a few days (5 mins walk down beach and a lovely pool) but then I got offered free nights in the dive centre bungalows (part of the deal with the courses), fan only but they were clean and spacious (few ants and mosquitoes but we're in Thailand lol...mosquito plug sorts that out fine!)

As a solo traveller I was made really welcome and the social scene around the dive centre once you've finished for the day is pretty awesome...watching the epic sunsets at their beach bar whilst filling in your log book and sinking a cold Singha just tops it off!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Shabbs13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I recently did my advanced open water with crystal and my girlfriend did her open water. My dive instructor, Luke, was brilliant! Being a similar age to me, he became like a mate, while still being totally professional. There is a nice social atmosphere at crystal; staff and students will meet for a beer when the days diving is done.
However, the downside is that the accommodation isn't great. No hot showers or toilet paper, but I guess that's due to their Eco friendly stance. The location also isn't great, as it's a 20+ minute walk to Sairee beach, where the night life etc is. A final slight complaint is that some of the reception staff were a bit rude. We got no 'thank you' when paying and were left waiting for half an hour when we arrived. However, when you consider the accommodation is free for divers you can look past these small complaints. Overall a great experience and the diving is second to none.

Stayed July 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Dive with Crystal and ask for heath as your instructor. You'll recognize him right away, as he kind of resembles "the rock". I did my AOW with him and had a really great time. If you're a first timer or an experienced diver, he's the kind of trainer you want to be with.
He has tons of experience, is a really good teacher, and most importantly he's fun and wants you to make the most out of your experience.
If you don't believe me, drop by Crystal, ask for Heath, and I'm almost positive you'll stay with them just as I did.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amir_Shehadeh
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

When we arrived in Koh Tao we had already booked (2 weeks before) a diving course (which included free accommodation), and when we were taken to said accommodation it was pretty horrnedous! We were in a concrete box, with no air-con, no painbt on the walls, no flooring.. just concrete. It was hotter inside the box than outside. We also had cockroaches in the bathroom, Not ideal. However when we went to complain and ask to be moved it turned out that it wasnt Crystal Dive Resorts accommodation, but that they had ran out of rooms and so had put us in rooms nearby the resort. So we quickly changed to newly freed up Crystal Dival Accommodation and the place was great. For the same price we got our own little cabin, with air-con, wifi and a balcony. We would recommened Crystal Dive Resort as after the ential mix up, the accommadation was great and so was the diving. We did a 4 day PADI open water course and love every second of it. The instructors are all really helpful, and if you're struggling will offer to give you one-to-one time to help you out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rhian H
Koh Tao, Thailand
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had a great experience with crystal dive resort, the instructors were professional, thorough and super friendly. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to dive in Koh Tao! Had already prebooked another hotel for accommodation before hearing about crystal dive resort but location was ideal as it was in town and next to the beach and pier.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anisha R
Reviewed 2 July 2014

First of all can I start by saying that this was my first experience of diving so I have nothing to compare with but in my opinion the diving was fantastic. I was more than happy with the dive locations, boat trips to and from and the overall safety.

My girlfriend and I signed up to do the open water course online and after reading reviews about the poor accommodation we decided to chance it with an upgrade to an A/C room (300 tbh extra).

We arrived on the day and we were warmly created and everything was explained. Filled in the necessary forms and introduced to our instructor Alle. Alle was fantastic for the whole course. Very patient, knowledgeable and give you the confidence needed for this new skill. I would however like to mention that some of the staff are beyond rude. One person in particular stood out for me. I was asked to pay the full amount up front, a sizeable sum of 23,000 tbh which I had no issue with, however the guy taken the money from me through the glass hatch was less than impressive. This guy hadn't the common courtesy to even look at me and acknowledge my existence as I handed over a large amount of money. You'd thought I had just crappies in a bag and handed it to him. Beyond rude. There were a few others who were particularly condescending and really have no place in an environment dealing with paying customers.

Anyway the rooms were pretty poor to be honest (even with the upgrade) and after the first night we checked in to a nearby hotel. They're ok for free (better than sleeping outside) but you'd honestly be better spending a few pound and getting a hotel.

To summarise the whole experience - really glad I done the course, Alle was first class but the facilities, rooms and some staff need to remember they are not any better than us just because they can dive. Lose the superiority complex please.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank FrJackHackett1985
Phi phi
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this through Tourist Information Tour Co Ltd, 7/1 Room 7101 Ka-Om Road, Wat Som Subdist, Pomprab Dist, Bangkok. It should be noted that you should NEVER use this travel agent as they are a total rip off, charging approximately 50% profit minimum.
I stayed here but didn't dive. The resort seemed to be great for divers, but as a non diver you feel somewhat excluded. The accommodation was so basic, and the bathroom full of ants. It is however right on the beach.
The place tried to sell me diving and were unwelcoming when I said I was not interested.

Stayed June 2014