“very nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Tel Aviv, Israel
“very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Excellent location with a beautiful view to the beach.
We were in the sunset villa which is located at the end of a row of rooms, with amazing views and wonderful privacy, But you have to take into account climbing just a little hard ...
The room is relatively old but clean and well maintained, lovely open shower but you should be ready to accept all kinds of animals there... (We visited by Crab, ants and mosquitoes ...)
The view from the room is worth it all!!!
Free wi-fi works well.
Lovely restaurant staff. except from breakfast we do not recommend the food (expensive and not so good....) Better to walk to restaurants down the beach ....
Great pool, excellent beach and the staff was happy to help with anything.
Strongly recommend!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amit_Coral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We booked Koh Tao Cabana after much research on places to stay on Koh Tao. The added bonus was a friend of ours also booked this resort but travelled 2 months prior to our trip. Of course he came back with glowing reports about the resort and he loved his stay there! Being equipped with this info we still enjoyed it however, it wasnt as great as we anticipated.

On our arrival the lady who greeted us in reception was quite aggressive and demanding we setlle the payment immediately. This is fine as that is what it states on their website however, her manner was quite off putting.

We had a similiar situation in the restaurant on our first morning and one of the other reviewers here talks of a similiar experience! The abrupt receptionist had written the wrong dates on our breakfast vouchers so the guy waiter in the restaurant was quite rude and did not want to accept the voucher and kept arguing with me. It was really off putting as it was not our fault and it really was quite a simple mistake made by them! Then I ordered the hot breakfast and was most put off by what came out.. fortunately I didnt eat it. The eggs were pretty much raw and covered in grease. I was really disappointed with the restaurant actually because my friend had raved about the food there and we went for dinner the night prior to the breakfast incident and it was very ordinary. Compared to the food we have been eating in Thailand along the way Koh Tao Cabana restaurant really feel short. We ate at BARRACUDA in Sairee town the next night and that was amazing..

Having said most of the negative on the positive side I did enjoy the resort. The location was great easy to get around via the beach into the town or just enjoying long walks along the beach .. Everything was accessible and good massage huts just outside the hotel. The pool was amazing nice and new and well set up and attended.

The rooms unfortunately werent really practical and I hate those 2 single beds stuck together and the sheets were not good quality. Maybe we were spoilt from our accommodation in Koh Samui but I really noticed the difference in quality in just the basics!! The outdoor bathroom is not everyone's taste either.. swarming with mossies you couldnt leave that door open at any time and I love an outdoor shower/bathroom.

I probably wouldnt stay here again I think there are better options on Koh Tao!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KarenaSydney
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I went to Koh Tao for scuba diving and stayed at The Cabana for 4 nights. This is a lovely resort nested on a forested hill with a nice see breeze in the evening - aircon is provided in the room but actually not required. The general comfort is probably as good as what you can expect on a secluded island where water and electricity are scarce and expensive. My dives were scheduled in the early morning so I could not try the breakfast buffet because it was not open yet. Knowing that the hotel staff provided me with a boxed breakfast that was delivered to my room free of charge. This is the kind of attention that makes the difference between a good and an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank williamToh
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed about 5 nights here in Koh Tao and we loved every minute of it. First few nights we stayed at a regular bungalow without ocean views but lovely jungle ambiance (it was just above the huge balancing rock). As we were walk-ins we could not stay in the same room for the entire duration of our stay in Koh Tao so we upgraded to an ocean view for the final 2 nights. Amazing.

Really love the outdoor showers, the view from the bed, the rustic tropical ambiance of the decor and the pool. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ocean views worth the extra penny
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raaaabert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Cabana as part of our wedding and honeymoon and enjoyed our stay very much. The resort is placed at the far end of Sairee Beach where the sand quality isn't very good and is full of shingles. The hotel offset this by having gorgeous beds on the grass just off the beach - we didn't use these as they were always occupied! Previous reviews had mentioned the construction of a pool - this is now complete and is very, very nice. We both enjoyed relaxing there after a wonder into Sairee town. Our bungalow was just as we saw it on the website. We stayed in bungalow 25 and were not disturbed by noise from the beach parties, a small bit of bass could be heard every now and then, but nothing to stop us sleeping. Unfortunately, the bed did stop me sleeping a couple of times and was the only feature of the room I wasn't completely happy with. Not that it was terrible, I'd like to add! Instead of having a double bed, we had 2 singles pushed together. This in itself isn't a massive problem but the beds were of a different height which wasn't the best. If you're a bit freaked out by wildlife, the rooms won't be for you. We would hear a wide range of wildlife through the day and when it was late. I would hope that you'd be aware that this will be the case if you've seen any photos! Remember that you're basically staying in a forrest on a tropical island, you're going to get animals! We did have one large spider in the bathroom, but that made its own way in the world and was only seen the once! The bathroom was very cool with a nice shower that's open to the elements.

We were both very impressed with the service - all staff were polite, said hello and were helpful. They managed to be professional but not smothering. Some reviews say the service is terrible, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, after we had checked out and been driven to the pier (for free) the drivers came back with a plug that we had left in the room. I can't think of anywhere I've stayed before that would do that.

One area I was disapointed with was the food. The breakfast was quite poor and we only had it 2 of the 5 mornings while we were there, opting to walk to Sairee town instead. The fried breakfast was cold and the sausages were not nice at all. Unfortunately, because of this, we decided to not have dinner in the restaraunt.

All in all, this is a lovely place to stay and I would recommend checking it out. With a slightly better bed and a tastier breakfast, I'd not hesitate to give Koh Tao Cabana 5 stars.

Also, Koh Tao is worth a look. I came here 6 years ago and the area around Sairee Beach has developed beyond recognition. As much as I'd love for it to be the same place it was, it needs to grow to enable the increase in tourism. But, despite this growth, it still feels as laid back as it was before!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SeanyG80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here in May for 4 nights in a Whitesand Oceanview Villa & loved it!

My fiance and I booked here after some friends told us good things & recommended it. I was a little hesitant after reading some of the negative reviews on trip advisor before booking but after staying there I really cannot understand the comments at all!

The resort itself is a beautiful lush tropical spot at the end of Sairee beach and we were happy with our choice as soon as we arrived. I must also say there was no hassle at all with the transfer from the pier to the hotel & they were even happy to let us bring my fiance's brother who came with us to Koh Tao at the last minute as wasn't even booked at the hotel!

At the resort we were greeted warmly by staff and given lovely cold glasses of Rosalie juice and bags of popcorn while porters carried our bags up to our beautiful villa. Yes there is a little bit of a slope and yes you do have to walk a little bit to get to your villa (although some are closer to the beachfront than others) however its not a strenuous walk at all and your bags are carried to & from your room on arrival/ departure anyway.

The Villa itself was gorgeous! Koh Tao Cabana was the most expensive place we stayed in on our 2 week trip to thailand and we wanted to treat ourselves to a nice place while we were there & it was worth it. Very spacious villa with a super comfy bed, lovely sitting are & huge outdoor (but still enclosed & roofed) bathroom. We didn't want to leave here & wished we had've booked to stay a week & not 4 days. They have really paid attention here from all the interesting items used to decorate the room, multiple tealight holders & candles supplied for use & even the quirky vessel for holding the room key to activate the power - it all looked great.
Airconditioning unit was large & powerful enough to cool the villa & the ceiling fan also kept the room lovely & cool.

The resort itself is clean, well maintained and staff are friendly and helpful although most of them are not Thai (Burmese i think). We ate at the restaurant once or twice too (other than breakfast) and enjoyed the food & the price was reasonable too. We were happy with the location as it was far enough away at night to be quiet when you wanted to sleep, but still close enough to walk up the beach to where the nightlife was & main town, although we did hire a scooter ourselves to travel around a bit more easily.

The beach beds are great and staff were quick to come and set one up for with cushions and to bring us clean towels when we ventured down to the beach. They also have kayaks for hire which you can take out.
We also chartered a taxi boat from Sairee Beach just in front of the hotel on the beach and for only a few hundred baht (it was less than 300 but cant remember exactly the price) we got taken to 2 different & fantastic snorkelling spots around Koh Tao where you were surrounded by fish as soon as you jumped in the water, and then also got taken to beautiful Koh Nangyuan island just next to Koh Tao for more beautiful snorkelling & a chance to explore the island. I think we had the boat for about 4 hours all up

Overall we loved Koh Tao Cabana and I hope to come back soon for another stay :)

Room Tip: Whitesand Villas are beautiful and highly recommended! Some of the Cottages (different from what w...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice now.
The hotel as a great location & the most amazing views.
There is a lot of attention to detail & it is very quirky.
Rooms are comfortable.
The only downs downsides are, the resort could do with a bit if a facelift, & if you want a quiet night at the weekend, you won't get it here....the music from the beach bars bounces off of the rocks.
I will say it again though.....the view you wake up to is unbeatable.

• Stayed July 2012