“Nice stay”

Ranked #11 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Stockholm, Sweden
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed at the Cabana for 4 nights. The hotellcompound is lovely. IT like living in the outskirt of a tropical forest.Truly fantastic area I stayed in a beachfront lodge and the ro0m was nice and clean albeit small. The staff at the reception is very nice and eager to help. The restaurant is ok. I recommend this hotel for couples. The location is near Sairee beach, 5-10min walk. The downsides are the outdoor toilets if you are sensitive to that. Min was located 2minutes from the pathway. Its accesed directly from the room and noone sees in, but for me it was an akward feeling. Also the should get wifi to the rooms. Breakfast could be changed to a buffet if i was to decide. Sadly i did dive courses and didnt have to proper time to truly indulge the hotel

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Theplaceqq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Tampere
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at Koh Tao Cabana for about a week in January 2013 in one of the White Sand / Treetop -cottages. Had some problem with the cottage reservation so we were transferred "up the scale" for the first night, to a cottage closer to beach. Those can be recommended if you have any difficulty walking or have small kids: the treetop cottages are a bit upper and it adds up to some walking daily to move between the cottage and the restaurant, pool, beach... and it's dark in the evenings to climb the stairs, so get a torch :)
The cottages are spacious, clean and have a luxury feel with e.g. a shower "outside" under the roof. The outside can bring the atmosphere a bit down, tho, because you easily get gekkos and other creatures crawling in. We had 2 very large gekkos waiting in the cottage one night, and even tho they´re completely harmless, they're big and noisy. It was around 10pm and we didn't get any answer from the reception or the phone mentioned in the hotel book, and the gekkos are really difficult to get out of the house... So we ended up sleeping poorly.
The surroundings are beautiful, the staff friendly and the resort is nicely in the very end of Tao´s main beach, so you are somewhat covered from the noisy beach parties at night (at least in the cottages higher up) and have some privacy on the beach during daytime. The breakfast is nice and the restaurant also otherwise okay, if you're not adventurous enough to eat "out" every night.
One word of warning if you're planning to rent a motorbike on the island: when renting, they often ask which hotel you're staying at, and apparently staying at Cabana means you have extra money to be ripped off: we got an "extra bill" of 7000 bat for no reason, and it took some time and patience to negotiate that down to 1000 bat before we got our passports back from the rental. So be careful and rather state that you're staying at some backbackers' place.

Room Tip: Cottages higher up are more sheltered from the beach party noise, that goes on every night 'till...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bl1ng
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I, daughter and son-in-law stayed at Koh Tao Cabana on 26th and 27th April 2013 and loved it. The resort is situated just a few minutes walk from Sai Ree beach and about a 10 minute walk to town either via the beach or along the road .
Our cottage was comfortable and very clean. Staff were extremely helpful and the complimentary 15 minute massage was excellent.
Breakfast at the on site restaurant was very good with a wide selection of hot and cold food included in our room price though bizzarely one morning Christmas tunes were playing in the background - it was surreal!
The resort offers a free shuttle service to the ferry about 10 to 15 minutes away.
If you are planning a visit to Koh Tao i would recommend staying at Koh tao Cabana.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank johnwsbridges
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I stayed here in April and had the most magical experience. First of all the grounds are just GORGEOUS and the resort is exactly what you imagine as the perfect paradisal spot. The staff is discreet and helpful.

I have to point out to a particularly great worker-- his name is Min and he works in the outside area by the beach cabanas. I dropped my iphone the first day when I was on the hammocks and thought it was in my messy room. When I realized it wasn't there, I immediately went back to my hammock, tried calling it, etc. Then Min comes to me with a huge smile and asks if I lost my phone and hands it back to me!!!!! I was in utter shock by his graciousness and his honesty, I am so grateful. This gesture attests to the wonderful staff here at Koh Tao Cabana!

Our stay here was really great-- we were in a 'suite' the first night as we wanted to splurge for my bro's 30th bash. The suite is totally worth it. It is HUGE and so well decorated, you feel like you're living in luxury!!! If you are used to luxury all the time, you might be more picky (there were some stains on the cushions outdoors, very small details like this) that I noticed bc I work with a hotel too, but I was so blown away by the rest, that I didn't mind. There is a terrace that is surrounded by gorgeous vegetation where we had our breakfast brought to us and it was such a special morning. The next day we moved to a smaller room overlooking the beach, it was also very nice although of course less room!

The bar/restaurant area is a dream!!!! And the beach area is so gorgeous and we just laid in the shallow waters all day long relaxing.

I would highly

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1Gaelita
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Logistics all very easy to get to the island and resort and all went to plan. Reception staff very welcoming and helpful.

Rooms were absolutely amazing - beautifully decorated. Do mind that the tree top villas have a lot of stairs to clamber up and down every day!

Breakfast was included and was plentiful. Restaurant staff very deferential but their tone was as if they were a bit frightened of saying the wrong thing/doing the wrong thing. We felt very middle class and a bit strange as a result of how they treated us but eventually we became on the same level. Restaurant lacks character and wouldn't suggest for dinner.

Everything else as you'd expect - but biggest disappointment was the beach. To say it's the "nicest beach on Koh Tao" is an overstatement and it lacked a bit of character.

Lovely stay but does feel a bit commercial in that it tries to overcompensate for the large Western clientele the resort has.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank n0rthernGr1n
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Wow! This was the most beautiful and special place where we stayed in Thailand. The place is luxurious and at one with nature. Everything is so beautiful and the details of our treetop lodge were amazing. The design of the hotel is just stunning. Even though the beach is amazing, and the sunbeds will make you fall a sleep in a matter of minutes, the pool is definitely worth a visit.
The whole place just blends in with it's surroundings. It's a floral jungle, located at the best beach on the island. The restaurant is beautiful and the breakfast amazing!
The Spa is strikingly beautiful and I think most people have no idea. The massage was very professional.
And yes, ofcourse there are mosquitos and insects, but not in our room. If you don't like insects, don't go to Thailand, it has a tropical climat. The place is clean and the staff is super friendly.
The only negative comment I would have to make would be the outside shower...It's not a great idea to shower after dark...because 80% of all jungle animals live at night and will be atracted bij the light.
This hotel felt like home and I would highly reccomend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LiekeAmsterdam
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2013

If you were looking for a hotel that exceeds your expectations then this one isn't for you. So I had done loads of research prior to booking this hotel. Here is all the information I wish someone could have told me.

Summary:-

Don't stay here if you're a SCUBA Diver;
Don't stay here if you're over weight;
Don't stay here if you have a heart condition;
Don't stay here if you enjoy alcohol;
Don't stay here if you have a fear of heights;
Don't stay here if you suffer from night blindness;
Don't stay here if your eyes can't read in low light;
Don't stay here if you have lots of gadgets that need charging;
Don't stay here if you want brilliant hotel service.

Positives are:-

1. The grounds are beautiful;
2. The Location is close to the Island centre and on the quiet end of the beach.

Background

So the first thing is that I thought I was booking one of the big round condos from their website. When I arrived I was put into one of the small rectangular ones. I didn't take any screenshots of the website so I couldn't prove that but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Next, upon arrival I noticed that there was no table or chairs to dine on, no real closet space, and only 1 coat hanger. Okay so I phone reception to get someone that doesn't speak English. I get it, I am in Thailand, and I am then passed to someone who does speak English. When I asked for more coat hangers I was treated like I was a Martian and told there was a quota on how many coat hangers I could have. Now I am getting a bit angry but coat hangers arrived 10 minutes later.

I brought all my dive gear hoping to get a few dives in. Don't stay here if you want to dive. This place is NOT diver friendly. It is 8 days on horse back up hill and down dale to get to your room and there never seems to be a porter around when you want one. So with a 30 lbs dive bag on my back I set off for reception. I don't mind because I am strong but you might find this a drag.

Returning from Diving and exhausted, 2 reception girls walked passed me and neither asked if I would like a porter to carry my dive bag. These guys just don't join the dots.

At night there are dim lights dotted along the paths. Also dotted along the paths are gutters for the rain run off. The lights sadly don't light some of the gutters so suddenly you find your leg jolting your hip as the ground disappears beneath your feat in the dark. Just plain stupid planning.

Then there is access. I don't drink and I am very fit and I had a challenge negotiating these stairs. They are non standard tread height and just not lit. If you drink and are a bit overweight then God help you because it will take you, God and a small crane to get you into the room. Many of my friends would have trouble getting in their room after a big restaurant meal with wine (I am talking about you Leo). The final flight of stairs has no hand rail to hold onto. Scaling those is like death or glory. One last piece of genius is that there is a very dull light above the door but it is controlled by a 2 way switch and a night time clock. So if you leave before dark there is no way to know if the light is on or off. 50/50 chance and so far I have got it wrong every single time.

Now we move inside the room. We stayed in Room 22. The safe was bolted to the wall crooked and yes, it is too small for a laptop. There are 2 power points in the room so I hope you like getting down on your hands and knees and crawling under tables to find them. Oh and if you have an earth pin in your plugs, well your out of luck because these points don't have the earth hole so your appliance just won't plug in or charge. To make things worse, if you go out and remove the room key, the brilliant accountants running the place switch off the power so now none of your gadgets charge thereby wasting your efforts of being down on your hands and knees plugging the suckers in.

I also felt like I was being nickeled and dimed to death here. The hotel taxi charges 50 baht to take you to town. Really! That should be complimentary. Also if you want to use the fridge in the room then you have to pull out some of the junk food they are trying to sell you because the little fridge is packed full so nothing else will fit.

Lastly all the lights are so dull that if you're a grumpy old man like me, then it is impossible to read because you can't see a thing. Great ambiance but with a simple couple of dimmers you could get low lighting when required and bright lights when reading.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple