“I believe it was a waste of time & money”

Jamahkiri Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This place was a waste of time & money on my honeymoon, first, the road was torn down so we had to ride a roller coaster called a pickup car which gave me the worse motion sickness ever, & due to this construction problem we were stuck in the hotel for the whole time we were there.. Second, the hotel is constructed on a mountain with a very steep stairway & the extreme humidly & the nearly zero oxygen level made it very hard to get out side the A/C in the bedroom.. Third, the beach is very not clear or clean, & diving is very worthless if u ever went to a real diving or snorkeling spot, so don't recommend  planning any beach activities while ur staying there.. Four, you need to change money before you go there bec they will definitely try to rip you off, they gave us $3 less rate than everywhere else in Thailand & they said "this is the hotel policy, because we are located in the middle of no where, sorry".. BTW: no hospital on this island.
The spa isn't recommended at all, didn't like the service & the atmosphere, and there was lizards all over the spa..
 On the other side, the hospitality from everyone at the hotel was great, Mr. William is so much fun to be around, he always made us smile.. And the most amazing thing about this place was dinner, the mixed appetizer, the duck spring rolls, chicken satay, & all the main courses we ordered were perfectly cooked. If your not age 50 & up & u'll stay inside ur bedroom don't go :)

• Stayed: April 2012
15  Thank DKin60years
jamahkiri, Manager at Jamahkiri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear distinguished guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay, indeed we had some memorable moments together.
My apologies for the situation you seemed to have had during your stay that I did not realize. This is not what I expect our guests to have experienced, or the norm as you can read in other reviews.
I am bringing some answers on your four points.
The road is actually under construction, and will be finished in June 2012, this is the reason why we have to use a different access as you know. We provide 5 free shuttles to and from the main town every day.

Jamahkiri Resort is built on a steep hill, this is also why all our accommodations have such a great sea view, April and May are the warmest moths in the Gulf of Thailand (Promised, I did not touch the oxygen). And I do not recommend our place for guests with reduced mobility as mentioned on our website.

What I can say about our small beach is that is raked every morning, at the same time the towels are disposed on the sunbathing chairs.
Snorkeling and kayaking in the bay is so appreciated from our young and older guests, where the attraction is to swim with the black tip shark and so many other fish.
To see some corals, you have to go around the corner by kayak, or make a snorkel tour around the island with our Thai wooden junk to discover all the other bays and beautiful snorkel spots from Koh Tao. Global warming made that the temperature of the South China Sea went up in the 5 past years, killing the corals where depth is limited.
At the diving club we provide a free boat shuttle to the white sandy beach from Thian Og bay only 30 seconds away, very nice place to chill out while drinking a cocktail.

At the reception we arrange for our guests exchange services at the rate of the day from Siam Commercial bank (For you that day 30,58 less 2 Thai Baht 28,58) This was a communication problem, I verified what you concerned and the exchange was made correctly.

Say goodbye to tension and stress in our SPA.
The two open treatment rooms used for the facial massage and body wrap are inside a tropical garden, with the sounds of the flowing water, the birds and cicadas, it will bring you to a relaxed feeling, but affirmative, small gecko’s can come inside, they are completely harmless, they make part of a tropical island.
For a traditional Thai or oil massage we have an air conditioned treatment room.

I am glad that you enjoyed our food at the restaurant, thank you very much for the positive feedback about the kitchen, staff and me.
I hope that we can see you again for lunch or dinner if one day you come back to Koh Tao.
My apologies again for your situation, complete client satisfaction is my goal, by being always available and close to my guests.
You can always contact me at prmanager@jamahkiri.com

Most sincerely

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for three nights and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The location is unreal. We were collected at the pier and were expecting a bumpy ride to the hotel. It is a small dirt track but it's not that bad. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The pool and the surrounding area is great. Our room was overlooking the sea as are all the rooms. Its a real relaxing place and not the place to go if your looking for wild nights out or if you don't like climbing steps! We rented kayaks and snorkelling gear from the hotel. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent and we were really sad to leave.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank padser
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Although everyone seems to be very nice when you get there, things change after a bit.
As everyone highlights, the access to the hotel is awful!!! Even taxi drivers try to avoid the road to the hotel....

Be careful if you lose your snorkel (after paying 100 bath for the rental)! The director of the hotel (William) will call you from wherever he is to inform you that you have to pay for it an unrrealistic price).

We spent there 4 days, and 1 out of the 4 they did not make up our room!!! The Wifi did not work for one whole day!

However, the view from the hotel is amazing!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Geraldine110384

Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed that you were unhappy with your overall experience at our Resort.
I am bringing some answers.
The road is actually under construction, and will be finished in June 2012; this is the reason why we have to use a different access. We provide also 5 free shuttles to and from the main town every day.

Complete client satisfaction is my target by being always available and close to my guests. This is what I explain to all the customers, in case of any situation and or questions ask for William.
So you called me from our diving club to inform me that you had lost your tuba, but did not want to pay 100 Baht (3 $) for it, and with my accord you did not.
I am of course very sorry to read that the issue with the tuba has kind of spoiled the whole feeling about your stay, but together, we know that it was a Gordian knot because promptly solved.

Concerning your room, I take this matter very seriously and I will have a look into the details with house keeping report and team.

The WIFI is provided from the telephone company, the performance is not guaranteed on Koh Tao, and therefore free of charge at the resort. After thunder showers it happens that the service turns off for a while on the island.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and to stipulate the positive point about the amazing view.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at the Jamahkiri Spa & Resort Koh Tao during our honeymoon in March 2012. It was an experience to behold and will stay with us forever. I was extremely sad when we had to leave and will find any excuse to go back there soon. The staff and service were outstanding and they catered to our every whim with a huge smile. The restaurant served the most sumptious meals and the spa treatments were the best I have had in Thailand. Our villa was magnificent with wrap around sea views from our balcony (and even the bed). The bathroom boasted a huge jacuzzi also with a sea view. The villas are built into the rocks and the decor pieces are stunning. The Jamahkiri has its own boat that takes you around the island with superb dive and snorkelling spots. I have never had such amazing Tom Yum Goong or mango with sticky rice. I cannot recommend this place enough and really in all aspects it is heaven on earth. A honeymoon destination like no other.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the villas but the hotel rooms are also spacious and luxurious.
2  Thank P J
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at Jamahkiri for 2 nights in the middle of our honeymoon. They made us feel special from the start! Upon arrival, we recieved complimentary cocktails and our bed was covered in flowers as a surpirse. The view from our room was breathtaking. The service was stellar - William, the GM, is very helpful. I highly recommened the snorkeling trip the hotel offers. The road getting to the hotel is a little rough but their complimentary shuttle service makes up for it. Well worth the bumpy trip!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at the Jamahkiri for one week of our honeymoon, and were blown away. Firstly, even the regular rooms all look out on the most beautiful view of Thian Og Bay and have a balcony. The service was outstanding, this resort has the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever come across and the manager, William was always on hand to help and was great to chat to.

The restaurant food was always incredible, I don't think we had one bad or even average meal while we were there. That being said it is a bit expensive, but u get what you pay for.

We really loved the pool area and spent quite a lot of time, sipping cocktails and lying in the sun overlooking the bay. When you've had enough of the pool you can take a stroll down to their private beach or even catch a little boat across to the nearby bigger beach at Haad Tien (there is a really nice little restaurant on that beach as well). Ko Tao has some of the best snorkelling in the whole of Thailand and we highly recommend taking the snorkel trip around the island on offer from Jamahkiri. They take you to all the best spots, it was amazing! Thian Og Bay is also known as Shark Bay because it is a breeding ground for black tip reef sharks, but they are very tame and skittish and have never harmed anyone. We snorkeled out to the middle of the bay to see them on our last day, and it was quite an experience!

We had such a great time we plan on going back in the near future. This hotel has to be the best available on Ko Tao. It is a luxury hotel so is a bit more expensive but it is really worth it, a stunning place! (especially for a honeymoon)

Room Tip: All the rooms are good from what I could tell :)
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I was referred to a friend who was there about 6 months before my visit. He told me to just visit Koh Tao and stay in Jamahkiri. That was an experience.
My partner and I stayed for 4 nights. We nearly wanted to extend our stay alas work beckons.
Everything about the resort is just perfect. It's not commercialized like the rest of the resorts that I've visited. Everyone working there is nice. You can really tell that they are serving you from the heart.
We will definitely visit Jamahkiri again.

1  Thank sitiarbaiya