“Amazing! I didn't want to leave.”

Jamahkiri Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was seriously impressed by Jamahkiri and think it deserves more than just 4 stars. The staff were super friendly (especially 'Nice' who greeted us with a warm smile and great attitude every single day). Their ability to communicate and basic manners were exceptional. The ocean front rooms are incredible and I wished I could wake up to a view like that every day. The food was fantastic - we even braved salads and were delighted with the result. I love the way the pool is set out - you can have your own private little enclave for the afternoon and feel like the only 2 people at the resort. The little beach next door is just gorgeous and many of the snorkelling tours come to the front of the resort for it's great marine life. It really is only a short 10 min drive (plenty of free shuttles available) into Sairee Beach. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone going to Koh Tao!

Room Tip: Ocean front is a must.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyMiss100

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed here two nights after cancelling our stay in koh samui- too busy there. We fell in love with koh tao but this location is really far from the restaurants , beach and nightlife. Stay in sairee beach or close to it. We didn't find the staff friendly at all. They also change you renting a kayak and snorkel/ mask/ fin- they even drove after us to get the money for the snorkel we forgot to pay at the pier and overcharged. Breakfast is nice- good quiche and pastas but heard you were charged for a cappuccino if asked. Great free shuttle to Mae name but if needing to go to sairee it is quite expensive like 500 baht and this shuttle only goes at certain times. Stayed in the standard room in the main hotel would prefer a bungalow. Nice pool overlooking shark bay. Snorkelling is not that great in this bay- murky when we were there - go to the island nanguyen. BeAch next door attached to haad then is also not great but they do transport you over for free. We ate dinner in sairee as we found the prices expensive. Beautiful dining room though.

Room Tip: Book the bungalows! Lots of stairs
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea D
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I absolutely loved staying at this place! My husband and I only stayed here for 2 nights but I wish I had stayed a bit longer.

The location is a bit out of the way but if you advise ahead of time they will pick you up at the port and take you to the hotel. It's very much in a secluded place on the hill and very difficult to get to! But once you are there it's amazing. All the comforts of a restaurant and aircon that you would need.

The room we stayed in was lovely and large with amazing views. All rooms like others have said look to be well appointed.

The snokling at the bottom of this hotel is out of this world. We saw 2 reef sharks (were told they are harmless)!! so amazing.

The power did go off twice while we were there but it came on within a matter of 5 mins so wasn't a biggie for me.

They also provide converters so you can charge your phone/laptop etc if you don't have one.

We had breakfast included in our stay and it was AMAZING. So much variety!! We enjoyed dinner here twice and realy enjoyed the food at the restaurant. Make sure to go at sunset you get amazing views! Get there early to get a good seat.

They have a small gym at this hotel which was OK. Treadmill a little small and rattled alot when I tried to run.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here! The price is a little expensive for thailand but its so amazing :D Such a perfect holiday spot to really get away from it all!

2  Thank littletiger06
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed there for 7 nights and I (almost) only have compliments about this place. The staff was really friendly and very well organised. The resort is located is a very quiet spot away from the may town/beach strip which mean you get the most relaxing feel ever.

The remoteness of the resort has one huge advantage: the views on the sea and shark bay are utterly breathtaking, whether from the restaurant for breakfast/diner, or the pool, or from the rooms... the website's picture really don't lie there! I went there to relax and do some diving and I wasn't disappointed on either front. The hotel has a dedicated diving club with the best equipment on the island, and a dedicated boat (lovely traditional thai style to it as a bonus). Then on the days when I didn't dive, you can just chill around the lovely pool, which has a dedicate pool bar - don't miss the 17:00 to 21:00 happy hour with half price cocktails (130B each - a bargain)! There is also a private beach where you can do snorkelling and you get loads of fish to look at, including the occasional shard and turtle!

The restaurant is very nice, with an amazing view and the food is lovely, very well presented and tasty with both Thai and European options. Breakfast is fantastic too with the usual buffet options, including hot/cold foods and a omelette/egg bar. As I was there during the low season, unfortunately the other grill restaurant and rooftop bar was closed, but then my room rate was significantly cheaper than the high season one so can't really complain there.

There is one down side to the isolation of the resort: if you want to go to the main strip you do have to take a hotel shuttle bus (you can't realistically walk there as it is so remote and the road/path is ridiculously hilly). Those run 3 times a day and are free but there are no late shuttle bus back to the hotel from town (last one is 18:30) which forces you to take a taxi back and they do overcharge (400-500B) due to the road being so tricky and hilly.

Overall, I had an amazing time. Some other reviewers have complained about the large number of steps on the resorts, but thats only a small price to pay for the amazing setup and views... and I saw it as a "bonus" as it helps you keep fit and burn the lovely food and cocktails! I could only recommend this place - whether you just want to relax or be there as a romantic spot for couples.

Room Tip: I had a "standard" room in the main building with sea view and it was amazing, but there a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Martin K
Reviewed 4 November 2013

One of the best hotels we have stayed in for a while. Staff are super helpful and friendly. Nothing is too much. The setting is perfect. The rooms lovely. The restaurants food is first class. The decor is super interesting. Bubbly with breakfast is a nice touch.

No negatives for us.

Room Tip: No 6. Not many stairs to breakfast.
4  Thank edwardgarfield
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days and it was perfect. We loved it and it was very hard to leave. We were met from the ferry with water and a cold flannel and then taken to the hotel where we were blown away by the views and hotel environment. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially the bar staff by the pool. We didn't leave the complex except to kyak to neighbouring bays for a snorkle...we didn't need to go anywhere else,we woke up in paradise every day! The room was wonderful with an amazing sea view from the balcony. The beach is great for snorkelling (lots of sharks in the bay) and the pool was relaxing & clean. We didn't dive & I suppose it would have been nice to get a discount/complementary snorkle set but overall I can't recommend this hotel highly enough...it really was amazing! (yes,there are lots of steps but the hotel landscaping is so well done it didn't matter!)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katie P
Reviewed 30 October 2013

On our arrival we were welcomed by two trainees which was very nice, they were extremely friendly and I really liked the way they worked together as a team. The reception is set at the top of the resort and overlooks the resort and the sea. The view from there is fantastic as well as from the room we were given. The staff in the reception and in the restaurant are good, professional and very polite. On the other had the Staff at the marina hut and the guy responsible from diving were a different story.
The price we paid for the stay was rather high and it was a surprise to be charged for using kayak or other equipment. If this was what I found annoying at the beginning it was nothing in comparison with trying to book a diving trip. I am certified advanced open water and my companion is open water diver. When we told the person in charge of diving in the resort that he said that we need to do a refresher as we have not been diving for 10 months. The package would include refresher course, one dive off beach and one from a boat. This would cost us about 7000thb. As we suspected, he had people doing their paid open water course and he wanted to drag us along and het extra money out of our wallets (he was a farang ) at the end we booked diving with Alvaro dive and we got what we wanted for half the price. During our stay we saw some other people trying to go diving with him and he would try the same trick on them as well.
Regarding the location of the hotel, it's nice unless you want to get out to buy something. The nearest 7eleven is 30 min hike and in the heat it's no fun trust me and taxi will cost you 600thb ... Just a shocking price to pay for 5 min ride.

The restaurant in the hotel is nice but the menu have not changed in the 3 days we have spent there and I cannot imagine staying there for any longer.

Also they are building/ renovating part of the complex and when we stayed there it was really noisy during the day so forget about relaxing by the pool.

Pros. Most of the staff, nice food selection from Thai/western food. Nice room.
Cons. Diving is a rip off and I would go as far as calling it a little scam. Location, food is. it served in the restaurant between lunch and dinner. Etc.
if going to koh Tao again I would first
Y look somewhere else to stay before coming back here

Room Tip: Beware this complex is on a hill. With LOOOADS of steps. If you have problem with steps or are elder...
1  Thank Ondrejsrb