Jamahkiri Resort & Spa
US$87
US$68
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$128
US$119
US$135
US$113
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$40
US$60
US$48
  • Breakfast included
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$44
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
US$113
US$84
Agoda.com
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$27
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$176
US$163
1,012 results
All reviewsshark baydeluxe pavilionfrench chefeagle viewdiving clubnearby beachfree shuttlethai massageprivate beachpool barsmall price to paybumpy ridealoe veraloved this hotelmae haadour honeymoondive boat
Reviewed 26 July 2009

The hotel setting is beautiful no beach but pretty scenery- unfortunately the resort is so remote that you have to endure a painfully rocky journey on a 4X4 to get anywhere in the town. At night if you go out this costs 500 baht- more than your meal out!

The nearest beach is a steep 15min walk away - certainly not for the unfit nor the elderly or v young. i even had to stop for a breath when walking to and from my room.

The place seems to be run by teenagers who barely speak english no one showed me around the resort on my arrival nor did they ask me how i was each day- with the exception of one young chap called JD who charged my blackberry at reception daily as the sockets in the villa were not working all the time.

The villa's were lovely with the exception of no shower (only a tub) and more importantly bed bugs which ferociously attacked my legs each night (much to my discomfort) and gecko's inside the bathrooms. Room service finished at 10pm with charges of 7% and 10% on top of expensive rates - certainly not what you want when on a remote island with o access to the town after 8pm (the last time of their shuttle service)

On my penultimate day i spent the day by the pool and had a late lunch at the pool bar. within minutes of taking a bite of the prawn salad i had ordered i was back in my villa with severe and simultaneous diarhhoea and vomiting. i had to vomit in the sink and called the reception to send a maid to help me clean it up but they sent no one. i then fell asleep and woke three hours later and had to call them again.

This food poisoning and bed bug experience prompted me to decide to leave a day earlier and go back to koh samui for my sanity. i was disgusted that they made me pay for my room for the day i hadnt stayed (surprising the decided to suddenly speak english!) and insisted i paid for half of the meal that made me sick even after i complained.

I am astounded that people have said that the service is at the level of the Four Seasons- the service is better at a Comfort Inn if you ask me. Breakfast is mediocre, the service is below average and there is absolutely no charm to the place whatsoever- the staff are more interested in making money off tips and overcharging customers for what is well below standard quality levels.

it is a real shame because the experience at this hotel was utterly disappointing- even the spa was no good for beauty treatments- i mean a pedicure with no scrubbing nor base coat or top coat on the varnish?? it totally tainted my opinion of a beautiful island.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
21  Thank princessinlondon
JamahkiriLucas, Manager at Jamahkiri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2009

Thank you princessinlondon for your review and comments. We are glad you found the resort setting beautiful and were pleased with our receptionist.

We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, but are honestly very surprised to know about the serious claims you raised in your review.

In regards to your issue with our food, our duty manager as well as executive chef, who is available at all times and enjoys speaking with guests, were totally unaware of the issue until they read your review. We also did not receive any comment card from you upon check-out.

In regards to bedbugs, it is unlikely that this was the case, as only one month earlier we bought all new mattresses for our rooms.

Reviewed 23 July 2009

JAMALKHIRI RESORT

My wife, daughter and I had a wonderful time at the Jamahkiri Resort on Ko Tao. It is very beautiful there, with lush landscaping and white villas cascading down to the ocean below; reminding us of Greece. The swimming pool is magical, especially at night.
The villa itself was spacious and lovely, with a fabulous view from the rooms and the deck. There were double doors between the bedroom and the living room where our adult daughter slept. In the spacious bathroom there was a large jetted tub with a view of a small landscaped area outside, but with total privacy. The tub had a showerhead, but I did miss having a standup shower.

The resort does not have a beach, but there are concrete ‘boardwalks’ and seating areas along the base of the cliff. The nearest beach is about fifteen minutes walk by road, or you can wade to it at low tide. This beach is being developed as a bungalow resort though, and I wonder if visitors will be welcome once the construction has finished.

The tides were exceptionally low when we were there, so snorkeling off the resort or the beach was difficult over the coral. I don’t imagine this would be a problem at other times of the year. We saw (harmless) black-tip sharks and many fish of different sizes and colors. We kayaked over to the next two bays where it was easier to snorkel at low tide, and there we found unspoiled living coral.

The resort had only four kayaks and one was not seaworthy. The back supports on the others needed repair. For a resort of this size, the number of kayaks is woefully inadequate. Hopefully, the resort will purchase more for the high season. Our resort at Railay Beach, Krabi had about a dozen kayaks.

You have to be reasonably fit to enjoy yourself at the Jamalkhiri; to go anywhere in the resort means navigating many steep steps without handrails and getting in and out of the trucks needs a certain agility.
This resort is not suitable for children; there are many opportunities for accidents on the stairs, and the ‘boardwalks’ do not have any barriers.

The staff was wonderful; helpful and charming. The omelets for breakfast were fine, but we generally avoided the restaurant, where the food was average. A short truck ride will take you to Heaven & Earth Restaurant where the food and atmosphere are terrific.
The ride to the resort is very rough, but the drivers in their four-wheeled trucks are skilled and careful drivers.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Wonderful stay here with Jamahkiri. Service is top notch, comparable to Four seasons around the world. Staff have good command of english and service from the driver to front desk to room service is faultless. Grounds and room facilities are well maintained, unlike other so called high end resorts which seems to neglect building maintenance.

Breakfast is awesome and magical considering the terrain and location of the resort. As the resort is clinging to a cliff face, there are wonderful sea views to be had almost anywhere from the resort. Movie room, free dvd and free internet is a nice touch.

Free 4 WD shuttle into town is fun and considerate. Due to current road works, trips to and back the resort had to taken from an alternate longer and much rougher road. If you are thinking of renting a motorbike to get there,Please forget about it! You would not make it! Saying this from a very experienced bike rider.

Gentleman on duty at the pool is just amazing. Topping up your cold water, adjusting umbrellas and laying out fresh towel all this with a smile and a little chat. One thing though, please consider using plastic glass and cups around pool area as I saw 2 breakage in an afternoon. Might be a hazard for people walking barefeet.

Dinner at the resort restaurant is a pleasurable experience.

I really can't fault this resort even if I think real hard. A wonderful memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My family stayed here for a week to 'chill out' after time in Bangkok.
Every aspect of the hotel lived up to high expectations. The rooms in the new block and superbly furnished, have lovely sea views and effective air conditioning. They are exceptionally good value at the opening offer rate of BHT3,900 a night, including breakfast.
For me there are two reasons to stay here, over and above any other luxury beachfront resort. One being the spa which is exceptionally good with a whole range of treatments and the second being that you can snorkel right off the front at all states of the tide. The bay is known as shark bay and if you swim at the right time of day, you will see some decent sized specimens. Also five minutes in the hotel boat or kayak around the headland there is some really beautiful coral which is very accessible.
This place is remote and we never felt tempted to go into town because it was so nice and the service so good!
There are two outside restaurants if you want to stretch your legs. One is down a steep road to the sandy beach (watch out for falling coconuts) and the other 'Eagles View' is on the top of the hill right outside the hotel front door. Both are cheap and cheerful.
As other reviewers have noted it is a bit hilly, but we didnt find it an issue.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank deskjet2
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I have to say that this is the most beautiful resort that I have ever stayd at. Thinking of Jamahkiri makes me warm at heart on a cold and rainy day back home.

I really recommend this hotel! It may not be a good place for familys with small children, because there are so many stars and it's situated on a hill far away from everything.
You get the best price by visiting the hotels own webpages.

We stayed for six nights at the hotel and it was so nice, beautiful and quiet. There were mostly young couples/honeymooners from all over the world. One did also get to know people who were staying at the resort during the bumpy ride down to Mae Haad.
The breakfast was great and they even had darker bread (which was great for us Scandinavians).

The pool was also really nice. You were also allowed to swim 24/7, so it was nice to have a swim late at night.

Food and drinks were more expensive than on other places on Koh Tao, but that was expected. The laundry service was expensive. You got all you clothes washed in Mae Haad for the same price that you would have had to pay for one shirt at Jamahkiri.

The road to Jamahkiri is i a really bad shape. There's a shuttle to and from the hotel every hour until 8.30 in the evening, which is a great service. Unfortunately the last shuttle from Mae Haad is at 8.30, which is too early. If you want to take a taxi to the hotel later in the evening you have to pay 300-400 baht because the road is so bad and all the taxidrivers think that you must be rich if you are staying at Jamahkiri. We had been planning to rent a scooter on Koh Tao, but already when we took the shuttle from the pier to Jamahkiri we saw that there was no chance to drive a scooter up to Jamahkiri.

I would love to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple