2,743 results
All reviewsopen water courseanthony griffithsfishbowl bardive masteradvanced open waterfish bowlnight divefree roomfun divesgreat instructordive courseair conlearn howfan roommy girlfriendsairee beachbasic room
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We went to Ban's based on good reviews from our friends who had done the Open Water Course. We opted for the same - we stayed in the air con rooms which were pretty basic, but comfortable and private. We had a balcony. In the evenings there were quite a lot of loud people around either celebrating getting their certifications or just being annoying. Our instructor was very thorough, professional and reliable. I was really nervous, but he was really good patient and helped if you couldn't understand (if not more than once!). The course was harder than I thought, but it was very worthwhile. I can agree, however, with sentiments about the Reception staff, and probably the restaurant staff too - not very friendly and there to be of service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My friends and I had a terrible time here. The staff were rude to us for our whole stay. At the end of our stay when we checked out they accused us of stealing towels in the bathroom, when actually the cleaners cleaned our room and never put new towels in our room. They wanted us to pay 1000bht for the towels. They asked to look through our bags and everything accusing us of taking the towels, it was outrageous. Other than the service they have a nice restaurant and good nightlife by the restaurant at night. Definitley would never ever stay here again though.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MissVess
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This place is really great. We spend a week in a hiltop villa with a great view. The room was fantastic as well as the surroundings. But most of all I need to mention Padi diving course we had there. If you ever think of doing a Padi you must go there and ask for Nathaniel Rawson as an instructor. His professional approach, experience and fantastic atmosphere he is spreading around made our stay in Koh Tao to be one of our greatest holiday adventures.
... And after diving go to Narakaan for a dinner on a beach :-)

1  Thank RaffioM
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here for a few days late feb,the hilltop villas were amazing value for money and the restaurant on the hillside was fantastic . Great staff and location for diving or just hanging out.as to koh Tao,you'll feel like a time traveller who pushed the wrong button as you dodge scooters ridden by Nixon era hippies zooming off to goofy " full moon parties " all very quaint but if you are used to more upscale places it may seem a bit ridiculous.

2  Thank Brother12
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I last stayed at Bans 5 years ago and it was amazing... Subsequently I have made numerous recommendations to people to stay and dive there! I will not be doing this anymore.
Having read some of the more negative comments, I can only echo these. I pre-booked from the UK, and was told there would be someone to meet us at the pier, surprisingly enough every other dive company was there apart from Bans! They have set up a new bakery some 5 mins walk away and we came across it purely by accident, where the person behind the counter told me he was there, but with 3 people being the first off the boat, I don't think so.
This place is no good for fun divers, it is purely geared for courses. Fun divers are treated as 2nd class citizens and it is chaos getting on the main boat. I am an early morning diver, but as Bans caters for open water courses in the morning, they only go to White Rock and Twins. There is little personal service and this place smacks of somewhere that has become too big for it's boots.
We booked a Deluxe Garden Room, which was nice but is looking tired. Unfortunately we were placed in a room close to the fishbowl and when I say it gets loud in the evening, it really does! And can go on until 3am in the morning.
Final point is there is no free WIFI at the resort, which is ridiculous. A dissapointing return, which will not be repeated.
To summarise, I found a smaller dive shop, Goodtime Adventures who provide an exceptional service. It is chilled and relaxed and the instructor is very knowledgable of both the area and marine life. They deliberately avoid peak Bans times and locations.

1  Thank Belindadee