“Amazing!”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We are not divers, but stayed at this wonderful place during our holiday in Koh Tao. Staff and service was very good.
They offer daily yoga classes for 400 Bht per hour on the hillside place with a stunning view over the ocean. Yoga was not very good, I've had much better and cheaper classes before. Well, I understand this is divers' place not yogis' :)
In general everything was good except the reception area which was never clean though they require to take off the shoes before entering. I did not feel myself ok without my shoes on the dirty floor.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ban's Diving Resort

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Ban's was a great resort and not just for diving. We booked a bungalow in the hills rather than a place in the lodge bit and it was marvellous!

It seems that there is two parts to this resort, a party and diving part and over the road there is a more upmarket part. There location was great and even though it was a huge hike from the room to the main strip, it kept your appetite up.

The pool is usually full of divers, but it's no biggy as you can sit around it and swim in parts of it and then there's always the beach you can head to with outstanding coral for the snorkelers.

The location is great and fantastic value for money as it was half the price of Sairee Village and only a 10 minute walk away.

Staff were very friendly and on my birthday they had sneaked a bottle of champagne into the room.

Would certainly recommend this to anyone wanting to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow up in the hills to keep a good distance from the party goers but also still in th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobbylid
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Located in a very convenient location, you can walk to resturants, massage houses, stores, minimarts, and beach easily.

The rooms are quite nice for an island resorts. The food served at Fishbowl are awesome. At day time, the resturant turns to diving lecture classes as Ban is very famous for diving courses. It is regcognized as a leading diving center in the world, by PADI. You can see a number of learners and instructors from countries across the globe. Ban also offers diving trips to KohTao's attractions.

At night, the resturant turns to a bar. Lots of tourists come to eat, drink, and dance here. Remarkably, most of them look so good in their bikini / topless.

One thing to be careful, mosquitoes here are giant, bring your repellent for your chilling time in the evening.

If you don't mind the crowd, i am sure you will like Ban's Diving Resort.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 13 April 2012

we booked 2 nights at Ban's after reading reviews on tripadvisor.We are a family of 4 with 2teenage children.On arrival we were upgraded to a hillside bungalow with the most fantastic view over the sea.At £40 per bungalow this was excellent value, and although our initial intention was to move somewhere cheaper, the beach bungalows did not quite have the same appeal, and were a similar price, but with no pool.
Ban's arranged a day's taster dive session for the whole family.Our instructor Gordon from Warrington was a great guy and made the whole experience a joy.Diving on Koh Tao is so easy,with sea temperature around 31 degrees, loads of fish, coral, turtles and reef sharks to see.
Thanks to all at ban's for a great trip

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I did not stay at Ban's hotel, So I cannot comment on that other than to say the staff at Ban's is more than helpful and they truly want you to be happy and comfortable - Just let them help you...

About the dive shop - Sometimes it gets a little crowded. There is a reason for this. Ban's is the best place to learn to dive, with excellent instructors and beautiful boats and well-maintained gear. It is very popular, and if you show up right after the full moon, then yes the boat will be crowded. But it is like this all over Koh Tao...And frankly, if you find an empty boat, you should wonder why...??

About professional training at Ban's - This is where Ban's really earns their reputation and their awards as perhaps the best place in the world to do your professional training. If you dream of becoming a Divemaster, or taking it to the next level and becoming an instructor, Ban's is the place to go. For Divemaster training - imagine having Open Water Courses which you can assist on and gain valuable experience with STARTING EVERY DAY!!! Imagine having fun divers by the dozen for you help lead and thus gain leadership skills through experience. Imagine having dozens of Master Instructors surrounding you everyday, teaching you, giving you pointers, welcoming you into their ranks with a beer and a smile - This can be your experience at Ban's Divemaster Training. Talk to Lee Nightingale - you'll see what I mean.

For those of you thinking about training to be an Instructor - You cannot choose a better place to do your IDC than Ban's Diving. I am not on their payroll, I assure you! But I am willing to put my professional reputation on the line when I endorse Ban's IDC with all my heart (BTW I am a PADI Staff Instructor, so I know about IDCs!!). I was just on Koh Tao for 5 weeks and got to know a great many people - I was especially lucky to get to work with Guillaume Fargues and Marcel Van Den Berg, the Course Directors at Ban's. These guys really care about their students, and really care about creating great divers and dive instructors. They sincerely and energetically support environmental education and Project AWARE, and they truly care that you will leave Ban's Diving with the skills and attitude that will enhance the dive industry and your personal career. These two are a beautiful mixture of serious business and serious fun - The hallmarks of any successful dive professional. They are truly the best role models I have ever encountered in my 10-year career as a PADI prosessional.

As for the restaurant and the Fishbowl Bar - if you come to Ban's and don't have a good time, then you are just trying to not have a good time.

BTW, this place really is for mostly young people...But I am 46 and had the time of my life. Again, I am a dive professional and I came to Koh Tao to work towards higher credentials. Best choice I ever made!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My friend and I stayed at Bans doing my OW and AOWD course. They were extremely helpfull and I was lucky enough to get the instructor all to my self in the pool. The rooms are a bit old (which you wont even notice cause you'll be too tired) but they are fine.
I can't recommend anywhere else to get your Padi certificate. My instructor Jens was perfect and made me feel safe and in good hands throughout the entire course.
We also booked a liveaboard through Bans which was AMAZING.
I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank FelixiaB
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We recently stayed at Bans whilst i did my open water course. My instructor Gordon was brilliant and instantly makes you feel at ease in the water.

We stayed in the garden rooms which were discounted whilst i was doing my course however we found the music from the local bars to be very noisy. As soon as we mentioned this at reception they were extremely helpful and moved us to a more expensive room up on the hills for no extra charge. the view from this room was amazing. i would recommend hiring a quad bike if you stay in these rooms though as its quite a long steep walk.

we rented a quad bike locally very cheaply and made the most of exploring the whole island. Koh Tao is stunning especially if you get away from the resorts and really see it the way it naturally is

• Stayed: March 2012