“Great diving resort, Unbelievable instructor!”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Singapore, Singapore
“Great diving resort, Unbelievable instructor!”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Our experience at Bans was amazing. From the moment we arrived on Koh Tao, it was clear that Bans understood how to make a great diving experience. The place is beautiful, the beaches are surreal, and there is a great relaxed atmosphere.

The part of our diving experience that made it so incredible was our diving instructor Fai. If you go to Bans make sure to request that she be your dive instructor because she was amazing. For starters, she knew her stuff incredibly well. A few people in our group were a little worried as it was there first time, and she explained everything and calmed their fears. In addition to being a great technical instructor, Fai was a ton of fun to be around. She's always smiling, and her enthusiasm rubs off on everyone around her.

I highly recommend going with Bans, and I recommend even more having Fai as your diving instructor. I'm sure Bans has other good instructors, but I don't think anyone could be better than Fai.

Happy travels!

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jon R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We had heard this place was good and that is the biggest understatement. They had no fan rooms when we got there and so we got the air con room for free (because we were diving) and got it free for the rest of the time there! The staff were great from our experience. We had no issue with our room but our friends did from other tourists outside and they got instantly moved at no extra cost with lots of apologies. But most importantly- the diving. Best choice we made. We had the BEST instructor Anthony Griffiths. He was experienced, funny, understanding and just knew what to do. He has a way of helping everyone no matter their level of diving. We got the best dive sites, all different and Ant showed us great sealife every time. We also had Bernardo and Nemo to help and they were incredible too. Not to brag but that has got to be the best group! We loved it so much on the open water course that our entire group of 9 continued on to advanced even though none of us had the intention of doing so. We even rearranged our schedule too to do the advanced because we knew we wouldn't get a better group of people and especially dive instructor or dive masters. And advanced was just as amazing. Thank you Anthony for everything!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank FrancescaCobbett
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My buddies and I, three of us, went to Koh Tao to get our padi certification. They offered free rooms (fans only) or discounted rooms if you enroll in their open water diving course. I didn't know this before hand. Only when other divers and diving instructors told us, I realized that we have been overcharged, and nothing was changed when I confronted them. I should have done some homework and research before going. I think if I knew beforehand, I could have saved some money.

Other than that, I had a wonderful diving instructor who was very charismatic. Her name is Becky, she is a fun, exciting, and charismatic instructor. I highly recommend to get lessons from her!

Room Tip: Do not choose the hilltop rooms, it's too far from everywhere. You have to hike up and down eve...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Bans diving resort is perfect..! there is no other review to be given.... it is a tropical paradise.. and it is the heart of koh tao... there are shops, restaurants, everything in waking distance. The rooms are really great and spacious... The diving school is amazing too...! My husband and I did the Open Water dive course with Ian Jefferies as our instructor....! He made us feel so safe and confident and he is so thorough with his teaching and his instructions that you have nothing to worry... You just have to listen to him and follow his guidance and diving will totally become your thing. I had a lot of problems equalising and had an awful earache and the Ban's truck took me to the island clinic and the doctor fixed me up and the next morning I was 12mts deep in the tropical waters... The diving groups are diverse and you get to meet people of different nationalities... You will have to remind yourself several times as to where you are.. because with such a melting pot of a place you will forget..!

The restaurant fishbowl is extrememly efficient, well run and has amazing food. As vegetarians we had no problem whatsoever eating here.. we got great yoghurt shakes, coocnut water, pancakes, waffles, toast, fruit platters, muesli for breakfast. Falafel, pasta, pizza, spicy asian macaroni, for lunch and dinner.. in the evening you can lie on bean bags on the beach watching the sunset.. giving your dive test.. and having a cold beer... We were happy campers and didnt need anything else. There is a 24X7 seven eleven inside too... Darawan the open air restauant in Ban's is a fine dining experience with a view to die for and excellent excellent food! It is probably the only time that you would go to such a nice restaurant in flip flops... :) the laid back atmoshpere and the fact that there is no "chain" no commercialisation of the place is what is going to take us back to koh tao again to do our advanced diving course. We loved the entire experience and would totally recommend Koh Tao - (and by Koh Tao we mean Ban's and nothing else) to everyone interested in diving and a relaxed beach holiday... Ian Jefferies has to be your go to Dive instructor...!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

We did our open water course here and it was great fun. I was nervous about diving and the instructors were so patient and had plenty of time for me.

The only bad thing I can say is the bathroom smelt sometimes. But we were in a basic room.

The staff were friendly n helpful. I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to do their diving.

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

For all complainers about the rooms, there are all kinds of rooms, when i was at Ban's 4 years a go i did my open & advance and took the free of charge fan room, it was terible i agree!
I came back with my wife this year and we took the Garden View rooms, abd the room was grea!

Pro:
- very professional diving center!
- great staff !!!
- good diving equipment
- big discount for fun divers on the room
- big discount on fun dive for Ban's ex students
- can eat in the restaurant and write it on the room so you do not need to take money with you to the beach/diving.
- nice rooms

Cons:
- laude noises of frogs and crickets during the day and night (that the issue when chosing a garden view room :-) )
- laude music noise from the bar untill 1am (for those of you who sleeps at those hours)
- a bit far from the main bar and restaurat erea (15 min walk).
- fun dives are usually going to the same places (some of the reef corals were damage so there are much less dive sites now then 4 years ago).

I will have to say that for course manners i found Ban's a very good and professional diving center.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Digiloma
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

I'm writing my experience as a fun diver at Bans. I am already certified and chose Bans so my girlfriend could take her open water course. We emailed first to confirm the discount on rooms when diving. I booked through Expedia, then confirmed again the discount on courses as we checked in. Everything seemed really good, nice location, friendly staff and I could do fun dives while my girlfriend took her course.
My first day diving was mediocre. They pile as many people as possible into long tail boats and bring them to the dive boat. My mask didn't fit right, fins gave me blisters and I felt like just another number. I gave them a second chance the next day because the fun dive was to the ship wreck. I was very excited about it since I've never dove a wreck site. Well same deal getting out there, jump in the water and start my dive. I quickly realized we were not diving down to the ship wreck, just the same old over dived site as the day before. Upon surfacing I asked why we didn't go down to the wreck and was told everyone was only certified to 18m. I told them I was advanced when I signed up and on the boat but being just another number they stuck me with beginners and didn't tell me anything. Another flop.

The final straw was upon checkout they charged me full price for all the dive courses and my fun dives, with a slight discount. I booked a whole week there and was suppose to get 5000baht discount. After arguing for a bit the reception just tuned me out ignoring anything I tried to say. In the end I got most of the discount but was still annoyed.

I chose another dive company for fun dives which I enjoyed way more. The island itself is amazing and I admit the fishbowl is a neat bar with good food. Avoid staying here but its worth a visit in the evening.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple