“Awesome time”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've spent the best week of my Thailand trip in Koh Tao at Ban's Diving Resort. The resort has a great position just by the beach, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are comfy! I took my advanced certificate and my instructor, Mark Hadden, has been just amazing! He's a great teacher and made the course an awesome experience combining technical info with tons fun. After the course i couldn't stop doing fun dives during which Mark showed me and my girlfriend a bunch of great diving spots. Highly recommended to any beginner or advanced diver!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Really good service. Very nice staff. You'll get a very good discount on your hotelroom/villa if you take a divecourse. I had a really big villa with perfect view on the sunset. So awesome! I did a openwater course and had so much fun! Mark Hadden, the dive instructor is the best! ;-) I would definitely recommend this to all my friends!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I have only good things to say about this school and it's instructors. I started my course with Lucy, who is a very knowledgeable and experienced instructor. We were a group of 9 people, and while everyone was progressively learning, I started to panic, I knew how irrational my feelings were but couldn't control them, I needed time to adapt, I needed to take things slow. I communicated to Lucy both my desire of finishing the course, but my feelings of embarassment were making me consider giving up. That's when she suggested I took a private class and arranged for it to happen, at absolutely no extra cost.(thanks Lucy, you are awesome)
I started my next class with Andrew, who was so chill, patient and knowledgeable and literally took me by the hand on my first dive. we didn't progress till I was completely comfortable and ready to move on. It was all I needed. Not only I got my Open Water certification I felt inspired and excited to keep going and ended up finishing the Advanced course as well. Thanks to Andrew's patience and ease to teach without pushing and ability to make diving feel like it should. Fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I had an amazing time at Ban's. It was my first time scuba diving in the open water and it was just gorgeous. My instructor, Nat, was fantastic. So knowledgeable and relaxed and just passionate about what he does. He makes his students feel comfortable and confident in the water - I highly recommend him! All the other staff at the resort were really helpful and friendly as well making my stay that much easier. All the dive sites we went to were great and we even got to see a reef shark on the first dive! Even on the one day when the weather was a bit rainy and choppy the water, visibility and diving was still great.
The free accommodation with the dive course is pretty basic but it's clean and spacious and it's comfortable enough for the amount of time you spend in the room. There are some really nice rooms further up the hill though where some friends I met there were staying.
So glad I did my Open Water course at Ban's and the only downside was leaving. But I will be back in an instant to do my Advanced Open Water as soon as I have the opportunity!

Room Tip: The free rooms included in the dive package are fairly basic but comfortable enough
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Can honestly say Ban's Diving Resort have given me the best experience of my life. When I first came to Ko Tao, I wasn't even sure about diving and absolutely freaked out at the idea of being underwater. I am not an underwater person!! I pushed myself into signing up for the course though, and honestly... so glad that I did. I had a fantastic group of 5, and our instructor, Krista, was absolutely AMAZING. She gave us all the confidence to continue onto Advanced diving, and especially helped me get past my fear of being underwater from the second we were in the pool. Ban's is a great diving school and I would hiiiiighly recommend. They were also extremely understanding when I first arrived, as I wasn't feeling well to begin with so they let me start a few days later (while staying in the same room) and didn't pressure me at all. The people you meet here are brilliant as well. I recommend if you are a lone traveller - stay in the dorm room! It's honestly like one big dorm family in there haha ;) lots of fun and plenty of people to meet!

Room Tip: The dorm rooms are great for meeting people if you're solo - plus they have air con
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The overall experience is not bad but considering the amount of money you pay for the Open water course, it could be better.
The thing that annoyed us the most is that the groups are really big! It was 10 of us at one time and we kept bumping into one another in the pool and later on, on the dives, there's more people around you than fish.
Another thing we really didn't appreciate is our instructor (Anthony) not letting anyone take a camera underwater claiming that PADI doesn't allow it on the Open water. After googling that up we found a statement on PADI that says that it's up to your instructor to decide if you're capable of taking photos underwater. Considering the fact he was repeating how brilliant divers we were, I guess it was all about the extra 800 baht we were supposed to pay to get the video one of their staff took underwater (By the way, while booking the course in Bangkok the guy at their agency said we could buy one DVD as a group and split the cost but when we wanted to do that on Koh Tao, they didn't allow it). Despite that, we were lucky to have Josh as an instructor, too. He was great and we felt really safe and comfortable underwater with him. We highly recommend him!
As for the accommodation, it was very basic but clean. The staff in the restaurant was incredibly impolite and non-friendly.
***
All in all, we did have a nice time at BAN's but considering everything we experienced, I wouldn't go there again and am happy we didn't take the Advanced course Anthony was trying to convince everyone to take and that we didn't buy the video.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I've now been to Ban's twice and it is a fantastic Dive school with beautiful rooms to suit all budgets.

The first time I was doing it on the cheap so just had a fan room. Very clean, spacious and comfortable.

The second time i had a gorgeous AC room which was just stunning.

Great Dive teachers and always something going on.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple