“Good place, try to get a room closer ti the beach”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Nice place, very central IF you can get a room close to the beach. We were up on the hilltop, which was also nice in fairness but a bit of a hike up the hill. Room was lovely, staff were good. Better value can possibly be found down the beach for excursions/equipment rental, and both pools were ALWAYS full of diving students, which git a bit annoying. But overall a good place to stay, and once you make it down to reception by the beach your right in the heart of Sai Ree. (And I can recommend a thai massage from one of the old Thai ladies at Kayo Massage just down the road on the beach!)

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,466)

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Fantastic! One of the best holidays I've been on! The value for everything was great, including the delicious meals. I really recommend this to a family who want an adventure, but also want to be able to relax at the same time. The rooms were beautiful and the staff were excellent! Furthermore, the Scuba Diving course there is done very well, and there are a lot of Scuba Sites to visit, including a WW2 wreck. The Scuba Diving instructors are amazing. They are really friendly and encourage you to dive to the best of your ability. The instructors are very good with people and know a lot about Scuba Diving.
I really do recommend this to anyone who wants a good time and an adventure!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Darius M
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've spent the best week of my Thailand trip in Koh Tao at Ban's Diving Resort. The resort has a great position just by the beach, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are comfy! I took my advanced certificate and my instructor, Mark Hadden, has been just amazing! He's a great teacher and made the course an awesome experience combining technical info with tons fun. After the course i couldn't stop doing fun dives during which Mark showed me and my girlfriend a bunch of great diving spots. Highly recommended to any beginner or advanced diver!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Really good service. Very nice staff. You'll get a very good discount on your hotelroom/villa if you take a divecourse. I had a really big villa with perfect view on the sunset. So awesome! I did a openwater course and had so much fun! Mark Hadden, the dive instructor is the best! ;-) I would definitely recommend this to all my friends!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I have only good things to say about this school and it's instructors. I started my course with Lucy, who is a very knowledgeable and experienced instructor. We were a group of 9 people, and while everyone was progressively learning, I started to panic, I knew how irrational my feelings were but couldn't control them, I needed time to adapt, I needed to take things slow. I communicated to Lucy both my desire of finishing the course, but my feelings of embarassment were making me consider giving up. That's when she suggested I took a private class and arranged for it to happen, at absolutely no extra cost.(thanks Lucy, you are awesome)
I started my next class with Andrew, who was so chill, patient and knowledgeable and literally took me by the hand on my first dive. we didn't progress till I was completely comfortable and ready to move on. It was all I needed. Not only I got my Open Water certification I felt inspired and excited to keep going and ended up finishing the Advanced course as well. Thanks to Andrew's patience and ease to teach without pushing and ability to make diving feel like it should. Fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I had an amazing time at Ban's. It was my first time scuba diving in the open water and it was just gorgeous. My instructor, Nat, was fantastic. So knowledgeable and relaxed and just passionate about what he does. He makes his students feel comfortable and confident in the water - I highly recommend him! All the other staff at the resort were really helpful and friendly as well making my stay that much easier. All the dive sites we went to were great and we even got to see a reef shark on the first dive! Even on the one day when the weather was a bit rainy and choppy the water, visibility and diving was still great.
The free accommodation with the dive course is pretty basic but it's clean and spacious and it's comfortable enough for the amount of time you spend in the room. There are some really nice rooms further up the hill though where some friends I met there were staying.
So glad I did my Open Water course at Ban's and the only downside was leaving. But I will be back in an instant to do my Advanced Open Water as soon as I have the opportunity!

Room Tip: The free rooms included in the dive package are fairly basic but comfortable enough
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Can honestly say Ban's Diving Resort have given me the best experience of my life. When I first came to Ko Tao, I wasn't even sure about diving and absolutely freaked out at the idea of being underwater. I am not an underwater person!! I pushed myself into signing up for the course though, and honestly... so glad that I did. I had a fantastic group of 5, and our instructor, Krista, was absolutely AMAZING. She gave us all the confidence to continue onto Advanced diving, and especially helped me get past my fear of being underwater from the second we were in the pool. Ban's is a great diving school and I would hiiiiighly recommend. They were also extremely understanding when I first arrived, as I wasn't feeling well to begin with so they let me start a few days later (while staying in the same room) and didn't pressure me at all. The people you meet here are brilliant as well. I recommend if you are a lone traveller - stay in the dorm room! It's honestly like one big dorm family in there haha ;) lots of fun and plenty of people to meet!

Room Tip: The dorm rooms are great for meeting people if you're solo - plus they have air con
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo