“The best diving resort with the best instructors on Ko Tao”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Ban's diving resort is the most professional and well organised diving resort on Ko Tao. The staff and friendly and very helpful. The prices were competitive and the rooms were nice. The large common area/restaurant is always buzzing with fellow divers. Most of all the diving instructors are World Class. I was especially lucky because I had the best instructor the school had to offer. Lucy Harris. Her approach to teaching diving was second to none. She was friendly, funny and very reassuring. She truly made us all feel as though diving was something that we could learn despite our lack of experience. She took me from a beginner all the way to an Advanced Open Water Diver in a matter of days. In fact I had left Ko Tao only to return a few weeks later to continue diving, I couldn't keep away.

Bottom line.. If in Thailand go to Ko Tao. If in Ko Tao go to Ban's Diving Resort. If in Ban's Diving Resort ask for Lucy.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 May 2013

we originally went here to get our diving certs. After a 36 hour journey i was glad when we reached our room. It was small and we had to be conservative about water, being an island and all. we didnt spend a lot of time in our room except to sleep. I was glad we chose the AC room as i would not have been able to survice without it! The facilities in the actual rooms were basic but again we had no use for them anyway!

Room Tip: get an AC room, as it is way to humid on this island to go without it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We Planned to stay for 3 days to get our paddy's. However, we enjoyed it so much that we stayed the whole week, including more diving, best room with amazing view, great view, no whalesharks and many beers with awesome dive friends and teachers. We were lucky to be assigned to Mark Hadden, who, with a small group, tought us all ins and outs of diving in a fun way.

We had to help him stop smoking, but he stayed strong.

Best trip ever!! Definitely Will return for à whaleshark..

Cheers,

Syb and eva

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 8 May 2013

There must be a reason that I always return to Bans Diving resort for my PADI courses. They always deliver top quality in their classes. Did my Rescue course with Allie who is a fantastic instructor with good learning skills and big sense of humor and not to forget a huge patience with me.
Ban´s also have many other great instructors, one of them Mark Hadden is not only a fantastic scuba diver he is also a great photographer and good to spot interesting things under water.
I would recommend everyone that want to learn how to scuba dive to ask for Mark Hadden, with his great personality, good learning skills and his passion for making each dive interesting for you, there is no way you will get disappointed.

My poor score of the review is only for the Resort and the staff working there, the classes and instructors would have got a strong 5 without a doubt.

Room Tip: If you really dont care about staying in a clean room this is a good option for you. There is a free...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

It all started in January when me and my friend arrived on Koh Tao for the first time. We decided to stay at Ban's when we heard a lot of good things about the resort and we found out it was true. Good rooms, nice staff and good service. A great atmosphere, just perfect!
All people around us were talking about diving and I didn't think it would be my thing when I always have been terrified of deep water and fishes. Marcus Söderbom (brother to my travelbuddy) motivated us to do Open Water and he told us to do the course with Mark Hadden. It was time to overcome the fear and we decided to do it.
I only have good things to say about my time at Ban's and especially about Mark Hadden. Mark is a confident and educational instructor, he has the ability to make every moment into something fun. He also has the ability to teach and to make the students believe in themselves like “you can do it “. He's an amazing instructor and I’ve had so much fun! Take good care of him so you don't loose him! My time at Ban's didn't end after I finished my Open Water course. Mark inspired me to continue to dive and because of him I decided to do Advanced when I came back to Koh Tao again in March. Also during this course, like Open Water, it was great to be in a small group. Then Mark could give us all the attention and time that we needed to learn to dive better.
In the beginning I never thought I would do it, but now afterwards I’m so happy and grateful with my time at Ban's. I've enjoyed it a lot. From being terrified of deep water and all that's down there to love it, definitely a memory for life. I have recommended Ban's and Mark to a lot of people I've met on Koh Tao and I will continue to do it back home as well. I will definitely come back and dive at Ban's as soon as I can.

I did it, I miss it, Thank you all !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Nice place, very central IF you can get a room close to the beach. We were up on the hilltop, which was also nice in fairness but a bit of a hike up the hill. Room was lovely, staff were good. Better value can possibly be found down the beach for excursions/equipment rental, and both pools were ALWAYS full of diving students, which git a bit annoying. But overall a good place to stay, and once you make it down to reception by the beach your right in the heart of Sai Ree. (And I can recommend a thai massage from one of the old Thai ladies at Kayo Massage just down the road on the beach!)

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Fantastic! One of the best holidays I've been on! The value for everything was great, including the delicious meals. I really recommend this to a family who want an adventure, but also want to be able to relax at the same time. The rooms were beautiful and the staff were excellent! Furthermore, the Scuba Diving course there is done very well, and there are a lot of Scuba Sites to visit, including a WW2 wreck. The Scuba Diving instructors are amazing. They are really friendly and encourage you to dive to the best of your ability. The instructors are very good with people and know a lot about Scuba Diving.
I really do recommend this to anyone who wants a good time and an adventure!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family