“Ban's Tec - Great Diving with Professional Staff”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Utila, Islas de la Bahia, Honduras
“Ban's Tec - Great Diving with Professional Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I recently did some tec training (advanced nitrox, deco procedures, extended range) with the guys at Ban's Tec, and have nothing but praise for them! The instruction was top notch, approaching technical diving with a very professional and safety oriented philosophy. Each instructor was patient and encouraging as they helped me to develop my skills, and constantly pushing me to be the best diver possible. Even after I had met the performance requirements of the course, they continued to take me out diving to better hone my skills. I could not ask for a better team of instructors to learn from.

Also worth mentioning is the trip to the mainland to dive at Khao Sok and Song Hong. The logistics of this trip seemed a bit overwhelming at first, but I could quickly see that they've got it down to a science. We took our own compressor out into the middle of nowhere and dove in some locations that I never could have reached otherwise. It was a fun trip and at times I forgot that I was actually on a course and not just out diving with my friends.

Great job, guys. Hope to see you again next time I'm in Thailand!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

First of all I need to state the point that Bans dive resort runs like clockwork. I have never been to a resort in Thailand quite like it. Not only is the diving amazing, but Bans gives you allot more than just an amazing dive experience. Signing up to one of these courses is like becoming a student at a college you thought only existed in your dreams. The social life is amazing, everyone is friendly, and the staff will go out of their way to give you the best experience possible. I was sad to leave this place and will defiantly be coming back soon. Although all the staff here were amazingly welcoming and efficient, I would like to say a massive thanks to my diving instructors Lucy and Fai who showed me a great time both in and out of water. Also to Zay, the best waitress in Thailand, Nai, the legend, and Sao, the greatest receptionist on the planet.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Ibiza, Islas Baleares, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

After travelling all around Thailand, our last stop was in Koh Tao where we decided to take on the open water padi course. Our instructor Lucy turned me from being curious with diving, to being obsessed with diving. She impacted our group in such a way that, all of us went on to do an advanced course with Bans. I couldnt have wished for more from someone introducing me to such a new, exciting and beautiful experience. Something i honestly dont think would have been the same without her. Il be back!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I was at Bans roughly this time last year, and signed up for the open water PADI course with Lucy as our instructor and enjoyed it enough to then do the advanced course straight afterwards. The accomodation was great for the price and was included with the course fees. We had a great group of people and mostly all of us stayed on for the advanced course as Lucy did such a good job instructing us for the first part. I have since dived in Belize and am planning more dives this summer. And would definitely go back to Bans for more courses in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This hotel and diving resort is exactly as such. The only real difference is the age of the crowd compared to other diving resorts i have stayed out, this place is generally a younger crowd with a more party minded attitude but does allow the nice seclusion if that is what you are into. As for the resort, there are two pools but they are mostly for diving and everyone hangs out on the beach instead. The rooms come in levels everywhere from a dorm to a 4 star esque room with beautifully folded towels and the like. I stayed in a standard aircon room which had two beds and set me and my friend back 1100 baht on days we didn't dive and 900 baht on days we dove. The room was cleaned daily and there were fresh towels on request. The room was decent not crazy nice but not bad by any means, the aircon worked but was a tad loud for my roomie. The bathroom isn't airconned as well and has an opening to the outside without a screen so there were ants all over the wall in the shower, but this is common place in most of thailand. I would definitely stay here again and would suggest the diving it was extremely professional and the diving barges are bad to the bone.

Room Tip: everything from dorms, fan rooms, aircon standard, and aircon delux, have the staff walk you around...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

I had an absolutely fantastic time doing my Open Water PADI at Ban's. So much so that my entire course decided to do our Advanced Open Water together as well. My instructor was Lucy who struck the perfect balance between being informative, professional and a laugh. I was initially a fairly nervous diver and she was a comfort to have around.
The site is right in the hubbub of Koh Tao so is ideally located and the accomodation was great. I thought it was all very competitively priced and everyone who worked in reception were extremely helpful.
I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Booking accommodation with a diving course gets you a great deal. They have a second site further aw...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

I went to Koh Tao to do the open water course. The first impression when I got there is that everybody looked so happy. The staff were friendly and attentive. Divers were studying their text books by the beach with their instructor. Some divers just came back from their diving trip. Some were playing beach volleyball....

Still, I worried about the course because I am a bad swimmer. (and I realized later that diving didn't need good swimming skill at all.) Thanks to my instructor, Mark Hadden, I could overcome my fear and gain a lot of confidence. I think i was the slowest learner in the class. He had patience with me and tried to calm me down when I was too excited underwater. He always took time between the dives to review and correct each individual student's skill. Knowing that he was always closed to me and other students, I felt confident and could focus on the diving and amazingly beautiful underwater world. He did gave me courage and help me see what I could do!

I will definitely go back to do the advanced course. And I will see if I could request Mark Hadden as my instructor again.

I don't have many comments about the room as I didn't spend much time in the room. There were so many things to do on the island so I just came back just to sleep. Don't miss the evening party at the the resort's restaurant, Fishbowl. Fun....Awesome....

• Stayed April 2013