“Pleasure and good”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Very good hotel , the service is good and the level of hotel is high.
Location is perfect, the room are big and clean. Breakfast is very good.
Only the wifi is not so good and sometimes doesn,t work well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ban's Diving Resort

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

If you're diving, Ban's is amazing. Just make sure you get a good instructor, it makes a huge difference. Rich was mine and he was awesome, make sure to ask if you can be in his class. If not, Josh is an awesome guy too.

However the free accommodation isn't too great, so expect to pay 600 baht a night to upgrade to the air con room, which is still a pretty good deal even on top of the course price.

I did my advanced open water and I would recommend nothing less. It's amazing and professional. It will be the highlight of your trip. At a minimum do your open water.

Koh Tao was my favourite island, there is lots to do and it has both the party atmosphere and the laid back surfer vibe.

If you like to party make sure to do the pub crawl.

Cheers, Dev

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There is no doubting Bans is one if the best diving groups on the island. They are organised, professional and experienced! We would highly recommend them to
gain accreditation. However if you are expecting the 'complementary' room with your diving to be luxurious or clean think again. Bans attention to the simple things (unblocked drains, mould, constant construction at 7am, non lumpy mattress) is wanting.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013

No other hotel can match the level of personal service achieved at this place. The staff remembers and notes your preferences so that if you ever make a request, no matter how simple.
On your next day, they know it without your even asking. The hotel never seems crowded, even when almost fully occupied.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We met a guy on the boat to Koh Tao who fixed us a ride with a taxi to Bans and from there everything was just so easy. Paperwork, payments and all that stuff is done smoothly in the reception by the sweet staff. And one of them is also really cute.
We had a problem with the room and they got us a new and much better one with a smile.

For the actual diving everything worked out really well. We took the course in English and ended up with Josh Sparkes, after our real instructor got sick. This didn't matter at all because Josh took us safely through all the theory and the practical lessons.
The first real day we had some introduction and theory, the PADI material so old school but knowing that you get to dive right away helps. We went for the pool and we met our assistant instructor Berta. After the first day I felt so ready to go to the ocean.
For all of the dives Berta and Josh perfectly assisted us both under and over water. By briefing us before going to the water it was clear what we were going to do. It was easy to trust them, which made it much easier to do all of the exercises at the bottom of the sea.
The plan was only to do the open water course but because diving is fun and the group was great we ended up doing both advanced open water and nitrox. Our only requirement for this was if we could keep both Josh and Berta. Actually everyone we took the course with decided to do this.
I will recommend everyone to do as much diving in Koh Tao as possible and if you are lucky enough you will get this perfect instructor team. We made great friends with both of them, and hung out with them for the whole stay. Even the days after we ended our diving.
Diving in Koh Tao gave me so much more than just the certificate. I made some great friends and I hope that I will meet them again for some diving or socializing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Ban's diving resort perhaps is really convenient, you can find everthing in walking distance! ATM, Pharmacy, 7-11, laundry etc., and ban's restaurant is really good, I think my tounge got spoiled there. I got the standard fan room which is included in the diving course, not fancy but I slept okay. There is no need to upgrade to an air-con room, I saw some other Chinese did but they didn't actually use the air-con much, the island is nice and cool at night, really comfy.
This trip turned out much better than I ecpexted, our diving group had a lot of fun together and I got to experience a few new things! Our instructor was Josh Sparkes, who had his right arm all tattooed (that was my first impression)! I think he knew that I would be a problem student from day one since I can't swim and my sense of balance in water really sucks, but he knows exactly how to encourage you and make you feel safe and at ease underwater. He intrusted me through Open Water course, Advanced open water course and Enriched air diver course, I think I did well. I really appreciate that he was not just being an instructor but more like a friend, he always tried to arrange the diving course more iteresting and we had lots of laughter after "school" as well!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Wow o wow. From the moment I arrived, I found the resort inviting. The rooms are absolutely A O.K for what the main attraction is here - and that is the diving!

My group was with Anthony, the master instructor, who has over 20 years diving experience and knows exactly what he is doing. He puts you at ease straight away with his fun and practical teaching style that gives you the confidence in yourself to go diving. Just excellent! I went from not being able to cope with the swimming pool to diving to 18m in two days. He works with you, to your own abilities and level, go diving!

I honestly can't recommend bans enough for a beginner diver, especially if you are pretty anxious about it in general. Top instructing, top equipment, top quality.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo