“So good, you'll change your travel plans!”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This rating is solely for the team that put us through our Open Water Course and also Advanced water course.
We had Hannah and Baz for instructors and I cant say enough how awesome these guys were. So good that I changed my travel plans and completed my advanced open water course which took a further 2 days.
Hannah and Baz made the course so simple, fun and exhilarating! Thanks guys, hopefully ill return to complete some more courses soon!!

Yes Bans is a very busy environment but you cant expect to go to one of the biggest dive schools in the world without seeing a few people. My room was a bit budget and didnt get serviced for the 6 days i was there but for the price this was expected.

Room Tip: IF you can afford it, upgrade your room when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,370)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Where to do your IDC?

I have staffed February 2014 IDC with Natalie Hunt and Guillaume Fargues and all I can say is that it is and IDC like none other.

Although we came from all around the world and we came together for the one reason. Our passion for diving.

This IDC has been truly amazing we have shared laughter; we have cheered and clapped for each other and we have given each other love, compassion and support. I’m sure we have made friends for life.

Teaching diving is not only about knowledge which Natalie and Guillaume have in abundances. It is also about bringing out the best in people. It is about supporting the individual and getting that person on to the next level in a positive and loving manner.

IDC at Ban’s Diving Resort is an experiences like one other.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank togeskov
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at Bans to complete my Open Water course for 4 nights.

I will base my review score on only the accommodation which was the upgraded air-condition room.

After getting off the ferry I decided to walked the whole way to Bans which took me roughly 15-20 mins stopping once.

When I finally arrived at Bans, it was a huge, fancy looking resort with a buzzing flow of young people who all seemed to be completing dive courses.

I proceeded to the reception to where several Thai women where running things but not one seemed to acknowledge me even though I was the only one inside. I approached the nearest women I explained I had booked online and wanted to check-In. This seemed a huge ordeal and I was looked at as if I shouldn't have asked.

After finally completing the check in process I asked where my room was located and was give. A very brief guide which gave me no help whatsoever. I spent at least 20 minutes trying to find my room asking at least 4 workers who sent me in all sorts of directions until I spoke to a dive master who took me to my door (The manager might consider adding some better signage to guide guests to rooms).

I finally got inside my room and was happy with what I was given, bed was large, bathroom was ok and I had a nice balcony. The only issue was the bathroom let out a horrible sewerage swell every so often.

Each night the music travels to most rooms but not normally no later than 1-2am. I had no trouble sleeping as I was usually going to bed by 12am but any earlier and I may have had trouble.

The seaside restaurant is busy with divers of a morning and afternoon. If seeking a quicker and cheaper option head next door to bingos or down further and you can escape the madness.

I will add that the dive courses were great. A little crowded but the instructors where fantastic. The dive masters where very friendly and helped improved my progress.

Overall the resort just scrapped by with a 4/5 due to having an upgraded room but I am sure would be less had I only stayed in the fan room.

Enjoy your stay at Bans, from a solo traveller you will definitely not have any trouble meeting new friends.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Let me tell you what. Ban's is a great resort, with fantastic staff (reception, housekeeping, dive instructors, dive masters, the whole nine), and they really live up to their reputation.

Go see the Dive instructors Mr. Josh Sparkes and Mr. Adam Fulcher about diving. Their professionalism, skills, knowledge, and enthusiasm was a huge bonus to my experience. Also, a big shout out to the Dive Master Farina and Tom!

I can blow bubble rings all day ;)

Ken. W

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently took my IDC course with Guillaume and Natalie at Ban's and the experience was absolutely amazing. They put together a very fun and upbeat program and the experience level of the staff as a whole is second to none. If you're having any doubts about doing your IDC somewhere other than your hometown, stop thinking about it and book a trip to Koh Tao immediately! You get to do your training in an island paradise, which in and of itself is reason enough. Just Google "Sairee Beach" and you'll see what I mean. The icing on the cake is the fact that you're surrounded by a staff with an incredible wealth of knowledge that gives you expert and professional training every step of the way through the course. They're very passionate about diving and this in turn leads to a great learning experience.

Don't do your IDC anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

For Koh Tao standards, quite largehotel, spread out over several buildings. There was some confusion at the check-in, other people got same room and entered the room when we were there, not pleasant feeling; staff acted bit strange in fixing the problem. Breakfast buffet is a disappointment. Dive school is integrated in the hotel, which is really handy. School is a bit too big making it impersonal. but dive instructor was very good. Beach-side restaurant has plesant busy feeling. In sum, not my top choice, but not bad either if you like bigger hotels like that.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed at Ban's for 7 nights on a Scuba diving trip in February 2014. I chose Ban's due to its relatively high ratings on Tripadvisor and also as it appeared to be relatively low cost. The photos and description on Ban's own website were also a factor. On arrival to Ban's, following an efficient check-in, I was escorted to my room. The room appeared to be fairly run-down by comparison with the photos on their website. There was a very strong smell of sewage in the room, which the hotel employee who brought me there offered to cover up with "spray". I declined his offer and was escorted to an alternative room on the opposite side of the resort. This room was clean and fresh, but similarly run-down, so much so that I had to recheck Ban's website to make sure that I was in the same place. The website photos, whereas a good indication of the basic layout and theme of the rooms, disguise the very tired nature of the entire resort. The rooms are finished with cheap materials that are badly worn and poorly maintained (cracked wall, floor and ceiling tiles/ badly marked walls and surfaces/ torn curtains and bed linen/ successive coats of poorly applied paint, etc.). I would guess that the photos on their website were either taken when the hotel was new, or that the resolution is sufficiently poor to hide the true appearance of the rooms. That said, the room was clean and comfortable and, I thought, relatively good value for money. In the grounds of the resort, the tired, run-down theme is continued (in fact there are small areas of this place that, when seen in isolation, could be described as 'derelict'). Again, however, the whole place is clean (apart from the toilets located beside the reception, which were shockingly dirty) and the gardens are fairly spectacular. My interactions with the hotel staff were fairly limited, but I would say that most people that I encountered were friendly and helpful enough, although there were some exceptions. The location is very good, with direct beach access and right beside many good bars and restaurants. However, the flip-side of that is that there is a lot of noise from a couple of the late-night venues that are either side of the resort. However, things were generally quiet by 3am and the noise was not so bad that it couldn't be drowned out by turning up the fan on the aircon. Overall, if you are looking for reasonable value for money and want to be at the heart of the Sairee Beach area, then Ban's is an ok choice. If, however, you are attracted to the "resort" style setting and the appearance of the rooms on Ban's website, you will be very dissappointed, of not have your vacation ruined. I was travelling alone, so my requirements were pretty low. I probably would stay again if I couldn't find anything better, but I certainly wouldn't bring my wife to this place, for example.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms at the back of the resort; they will be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo