“Just an really awful stay, can't understand why people say this is nice”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Just an really awful stay, can't understand why people say this is nice”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We got recommend this resort, so we paid over the odds. But they said how nice it was, do we didn't mind. Once we got there no-one helped us with anything, there is a huge hill you have to clime up and down to get anywhere. The rooms where not nice at all, I got bitten so many time. The rooms are all in gardens and the smell of what they use to fertilise the plans just smells like sewage. When eating in the restaurant you have to ask fir menus, then go ask them to take your Oder. They just look at you and walk away. I have been traveling over a year now and never had service like this. The pool it shows you on flyer isn't right at all. It's dirty no beds and they use it for the diving, so forget laying round the nice pool. It doesn't exist. Just awful place... If you are bad on you legs or wanting a nice pool & room. Stay away

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Carlie K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Every day they open a course, me and my friend did out adv. open water here.
it was nice to do it in our mother language (Hebrew) with an Israeli instructor.
but the class was crude with about 12 student (2 instructors)
although it was professional and we had a good time.(we had a nice video in the end)
the room was very basic,(hill top) but you get what you paid for (3000b)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Uri S
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while doing a diving course. The fan room is free when you do the course. It is clean and facilities are very good, with a nice restaurant, just by the beach. Forget about using the pool though as it is used for the diving courses. Location is great just in the middle of all the action. Staff is helpfull and they can arrange your ferry transportation. Averall it was a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alejandra P
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Dive master for the discover scuba course I did was great - I was really nervous and he stayed beside me through out the whole dive we did checking I was OK and finding cool things to show me. The diving instructor and assistant instructor were very confident and friendly.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This was our little bit of luxury in our two week trip to Thailand. We only stayed one night but would have loved to stay longer! This is a gorgeous hotel resort on the beach, with swimming pools, restaurants, shops, a great bar area with a fantastic live band! The rooms were fab- really clean and air conditioned. We were here for Songkram- Thai new year- so got involved with the giant water fights around the resort and local town. Great for people of all ages- there were lots of young people as well as families with young children- there is something for everyone. I would definitely go back here to explore koh Tao further and try the amazing diving facilities!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The front desk staff were a bit rude, and the rooms were meager at best. I am a backpacker, so I've seen a lot worse.

That said, the diving instruction was absolutely phenomenal! Ask for Mario! I went with the intent to get my open water diving certification only, but I enjoyed it so much that I stayed on to get my advanced open water. I would have probably stayed all the way thru my divemasters if I didn't have a prebooked flight to catch. As I continued my travels I used my certification several times from SE Asia to Australia and Europe, and everywhere I went I was definitely one of the best trained divers in my group.

Ban's also has one of the best beach bars on the island, for those who are into the night scene.

Room Tip: The diving instruction at Ban's make it well worth the stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Margaret River, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

It was craziness from the get go. Everyone is different and if you like that, awesome, this place is for you. But if you want a more relaxed feel, go somewhere else. We didn't book any courses with them, so I can not comment about their instructors. From our first impression we stayed one night with them in their cheap/ not very nice accommodation and left in the morning for our new dive school. We went down the road to a smaller dive school and had a ball. We stayed longer than expected doing more courses. It looked like a great place to meet people. It was located in the busy club/bar section so you are in the heart of it. Just a bit to full on for us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple