“All about the numbers”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Let me start with the room: we decided to pay a little extra to upgrade to an air con room (you get a fan room free with the OW course). It was VERY basic. The two single beds were the thinnest of mattresses, and all walls/windows are so thin it is noisy. The bathroom was disgusting - absolutely foul. Our room - and in fact the whole resort - smells of poo. Apparently this is because they use the waste to fertilise the gardens there. I hope this isn't true, but it perfectly feasible given the smell.
The OW course: this itself was well run, luckily we didn't have a huge group, and because one of them was newly qualified we had two instructors between 8. The sessions were all good and I would recommend the diving here, though I expect it is much the same in any diving resort.
The resort and restaurant: the restaurant gave nice food but was very hectic and disorganised. One persons food would come within 10 minutes, and another person would be waiting for 40. Always very busy.
It's annoying that they say there are swimming pools at the resort for guests to use, but this is never possible as they always are filled with diving lessons.
We left happy with our OW certificates, but couldn't help but feel that Ban's is just a big, commercial machine that gets as many divers willing to pay as possible through it's doors. There's nothing nice about it as a resort.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Augustuscalv
There are newer reviews for Ban's Diving Resort

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Loved the place and I didn't even go diving ! Great memories of the local nightlife . Lovely themed rooms very clean ! Nice pool even do the divers get preference . Nice beach very scenic with tasty restaurant . Handy lil shop . Nice in reception even if busy . Ko Tao in General nicest Thai island iv been to

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Diarmuid S
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I visited Koh Tao in july 2014, and stayed at Ban's Diving resort for 6 days. Let's start with the hotel. The room was clean and looked nice, though the Aircondition wasn't able to cool down the whole room which made it a bit annoying with the heat. When you wanted to get your room cleaned and/or have some bed sheets changed you had to specifically ask for this, it wasn't a normal routine. The hotels room are located either at the beginning at the hotel or on the other side of the road, either way you can't have a bad leg, because you'll have a very bad time with all the steep "hills" and stairs. The two pools that are on the site are good pools, one is only for learning to dive another is for relaxing. The relaxing pool which is located near their resturant Darawan is a sweet pool though it is also used for diving training and that can be rather annoying when you're coming home from a dive and you can't just jump into the pool because there are divers training. In adittion, the pool can also be very dirty which also is a bit disgusting. If you're eating breakfast, then it is a limited but good food selection. The waiters/staff are very rude, in the form that they keep staying on their mobiles, and it's so obvious. Now to the diving. The instructors are really cool people, chilled and just here to make your diving experience a good one. The gear is good eneough, of course it's better to have your own gear but yeah it's good gear. So in conclusion, this is a good place to stay at if you're coming to get your diving certificate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I was recommended Ban's because it was the best known diving center in Koh Tao. However, my experience was not the best... my husband and I checked in and asked for the room with air-con for £12, the room was alright but the loo was with the sewage open! It smelled horrible! The huts in just 3 mins walk, in front of the beach, for less, are much better than this.

Anyway, we thought I'll be doing my Open Water course therefore we won't be spending much time in these rooms. I was in shock, I asked my course to be in Spanish because it's my mother tongue AND I didn't want to be part of those 18 people group for English Open Water course with just one instructor in charge...(that's right...I counted 18 people and 1 instructor doing the pool work...)
Nonetheless, being handed between 4 different Spanish instructors is not great either, luckily (I think) one apprentice (dive master) decided to teach me, he was good in the sense he taught me every single detail about my course. Although, impersonal and unfriendly did not make the diving an joyable experience. Additionally, I could be wrong, but I didn't think a Dive Master was allowed to teach without an Instructor present (?).

Fortunaly, I did my advanced open water course in an amazing diving center on the same island just a couple minute walk North up the beach, Scuba Junction, which compensated this bad experience. If you want to learn PLEASE go there instead. Not the factory that is Ban's diving.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Medusina
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Overall I had a brilliant stay in Ban's. I did the open water diving course and got free accommodation with the package.

The accommodation is very basic which is fair enough considering it is free, but I had to ask staff to clean the room and change the bed sheets, etc (in which they were a bit hesitant to do so). The basic accommodation has no air con (just a fan) , so I recommend to upgrade just for comfort!

The complex has two really nice pool areas. It is very clean and well kept. The diving course is well run and has brilliant instructors. The open water course is 4 days long. The first two days of the course you get most of the theory out of the way and learn the basics of diving in one of the two pools. The final two days you dive out into the sea - it is spectacular!!

The resorts bar and restaurant is superb. Great food, great atmosphere and the bar (called the fishbowl) is full to the brim most nights.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with air con.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is spectacular and I am needing to go back there again.

Aircon was a little dodgy but everything else was great.

I love this place and will definitely come back to stay and especially the diving.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the Aircon
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My stay at Ban's was amazing, I didn't do all my courses there but I came back to do more, I was already advanced when i came to Ban's. I did my Rescue, DiveMaster and instructor course there and I loved it. The hotel is really nice, i didn't get to stay in the fency rooms but the basic accomodation was enough. It's spacious and comfortable, and you are litteraly 1 min away from the beach. Thanks to all the people there, it was simply amazing. A special thanks to Nathaniel, Lee, Guillaume and Nathalie who conducted the courses that brought me where i am today.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo