“lovely rooms but rude staff”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 3 February 2009

we stayed here during our tour of Asia as some of my friends wanted to do diving. I didnt so I relaxed at the pool, watched my dvds on our wide screen tv or went for beauty treatments

it was an osasis of calm after bangkok but at night it can get loud as a lot of young travellers head out to the beachfront bars here
Our room was one of the deluxe suites near the reception really lovely room, tropical shower, comfy beds and a balcony

I did not like the dogs that hung around the restaurant and the reception staff were a bit rude but apart from that we had a great time

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,466)

Reviewed 26 January 2009

I spent 3 weeks here in 2006 to do my IDC. I had done my research years before and had been in contact with the main Course Director, Jonas Samuelsson. They had something like a 3 year record of not failing a single student which I think is now much longer. They are organized, responsible, disciplined, and most of all fun! All the things you want when doing a professional course. They give you unbelievable amount of attention and have organized the course to make sure you get the most out of it. I call it the Ivy League of dive instruction.

Of course - all kinds of people learn to dive there. And given this pyramid structure of instruction, you not only have your professional, but several other near-professionals working your dives and courses - so you know its safe and well looked after dives and equipment.

The rooms vary widely. Since I was on an extended stay and an extended budget, I stayed in their rooms across the road. Clean, with a fan, bed, private balcony and a desk. Costed $4 per night, which you can't beat. I think they cleaned it once a week which was also fine. The rooms on the pool area are a LOT nicer. The bar is pretty active and there are several other restaurants, shops, massage parlors etc within a very short walk. Its away from downtown, but still right on the path where you can get to everything. I thought it was pretty much perfect!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I booked Bans diving resort as I was a first time diver and wanted to do my diving course with a reputable company. I found out about Bans on the internet and decided even though it was more expensive than other resorts it looked good. I'll give a breakdown of how the experience went:
Day 1- left in a room with a DVD lasting 2 hours
Day 2- left in a room again with a DVD and talked through a few things
- went in the pool to learn some skills, instructor rushed things and my boyfriend was choking under water whilst doing one of the tasks. Not good as felt we were being made to rush and felt a bit foolish for making a mistake.
Day 3- went out for a dive in the sea which me and my boyfriend were very nervous about as he nearly suffocated in the pool and was worried this would happen in the sea. Not enough time was spent in the pool to learn the skills.
- Spent 4 hours in the afternoon in a classroom doing quizes and took final exam which we were given all the answers for so therefore it shows that they just want to take your money and make you pass. really bad service from instructor 'Magnus' didn't seem to care about teaching and I didn't feel safe diving with him.
I know this all sounds bad but I really wanted to let 1st divers know so that they dont have the same experience I had.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I completed my PADI Instructor Course at bans and also did my msdt/internship training after the IDC. I was there for three months and really got to know the place. i had the best training you can get. the people are really experienced and really care. all of us passed the instructor exam and you could see how much they staff at bans cared because they were there waiting for us to late evening while we took our exams. i stayed in a long term room at bans for 7000bath per month. basic but was enough for me. i assisted with 4 different instructors during my internship and all of them were teaching great courses. i can highly recommend you to take your courses at bans diving (esp. the PADI IDC). Its an amazing place where its as much fun under water as above!!! try the beach bar fishbowl in the evening - its an experience he he!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Ban's is ok but not as good as its website makes out.

Had a 3 night stay here but in retrospect wished we'd spent a little more and stayed further up the beach in a bungalow rather than the slightly shabby hotel room we were in at Ban's.

It wasn't awful - it was clean - but the air con was very noisy.

It did have a TV though which was a bonus.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2008

I just did my open water course at Ban's and had the greatest time there. the restaurant staff were a bit rude, no doubt about it, but then again, I ate elsewhere so no problem for me.
I did see big groups for the courses, but I did it a bit different. I found that if you insist on doing your course in your own language, (not english) then you will end up in a small group rather than a big one. Since I'm from Scandinavia and my english is very good, this would have been no problem for me. However a friend tipped me that if I insisted on my own language, then the group would be small, or if I booked through an instructor directly, then he would take care of me in a small group.
I went ahead and booked online with the "Scandinavian Dive Team" who is a group of danish, swedish and norwegian instructors within Ban's that mostly book their own students for courses in their languages, but also do english and german courses for small groups and they were really fun and professional. Price was the same as off the street.
http://www.dykningithailand.com if anyone wanna give it a try.
I dived with the danish guy, Soren, and we were just two people in the group.
The cheapest accomodation was a bit smelly, so I upgraded and spent a bit more on a decent room, very nice, but not cheap...but you can stay anywhere, so no problem.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 12 September 2008

We have stayed here 3 or 4 times and always go back whenever we are on Tao. it's priocier than alot of the other bungalows on sairee, but you get waht you pay for!
Lovely room, with frige, aircon, balcony and TV and daily cleaning service.
I did my Open Water here years ago, and the same instructors are still around. The bar/restaurant overlooks the beach and is cheap, with excellent veiws of the amazing Tao sunsets over the ocean. Also good for partying in the evening.
If you ahve had enough of time beach huts with a piddly fan, treat yourself to a stay at bans. it;s lovely, but alwys view the rooom first as they vary in size and luxury. Also, if you arrive by boat they aklways have someone in a Bans shirt waiting to take you to the hotel for a very small charge.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple