“Quite cheap, quite bad” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Oslo, Norway
“Quite cheap, quite bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

Koh Tao is very expensive. This room was in the cheap end. Medium size room with bath and balcony. Very hard matress. No AC, noisy fan. No safe. No hot water in shower. Rundown furniture. Minimal cleaning; the room seemed "unfresh". Did not change towels during our stay (5 nights). Nice pool-area nearby. Noisy generator behind house.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

Stayed at Ban's resort for 3 nights, but only because I was diving as there is no way I could have stayed there if it hadn't been the case. Had an A/C room, which looked nothing like the brochure. I was supposed to pay 600 bath per night (diving price, the regular price being 1100 bath). Even at that rate, the room seemed crappy and overpriced since it was ridiculously small, had a constant sewer smell both outside and inside the room, crappy air conditioning, a gap below the door so big that I always had unwanted guest such as a dead Gekko with a colony of ants one morning and it also ensured I could hear anyone outside the room (since this is a big resort, there is no shortage of people passing by), uneven bathroom floors (if you shower at least once, you will be unable to brush your teeth or enter the bathroom without your feet getting entirely wet, no kidding!), cable TV that did not work properly, unusable pool for non-divers, no room service in the 3 days I stayed there, etc.

Overall, the place felt a lot like a big chain hotel, but without the quality and without any effort to make your stay pleasant.

What made matters even worse is that even though I had been told that they were one of the rare places on the islands where you could actually stop taking a diving course at any time and only pay for the content you actually received, this turned out to be an absolute lie. In other words, if you're not completely sure you can dive and breathe using a scuba tank, don't expect them to live up to their word. In my case, it unfortunately turned out that I was unable to breathe properly underwater and I therefore had to abandon the course. As a quick note, I'm sure a lot of places on Koh Tao will not refund you at all in such cases, but if a place claims to do the opposite, as Ban's resort claims to do, you can't help but feel cheated when they don't respect their own engagements.

Basically, out of a course that costs 9800 baths with nothing included (this is expensive since you can identical courses for 8000-9000 baths and even less, including 4 nights accommodation), I had to pay 4000 baths for a few hours of theory in the classroom and about 30 minutes in a pool. Since other places offer an opportunity to try out pool diving for free, it's hard not to feel ripped off when you pay that much money and never even go out diving. I am more than willing to admit that it's not their fault I was unable to complete the course, but I have nothing to do whatsoever with the policies they set out and refuse to honour.

Furthermore, the girl at the reception when I checked out was quite unpleasant and uncaring regarding my situation once I made it clear that I would not be taking any more courses in the next few days and that I did not want to purchase any transport from them to leave the hotel. She refused to give me the diving rate discounts I had been promised arguing that I had had not finished the courses. Naturally, since I already found the place most unpleasant and since I would not have stayed there if it wasn't for the diving classes, I must say that this proved to be highly unsatisfactory.

In order to be fair, even though I hated my experience at Ban's and would find it difficult to recommend it to anyone except my fictitious ex-wife, I must say that the diving instructors were great and that I have nothing bad to say about them, quite the contrary. I really wish I had been able to complete the course and I wish them all the best, ideally in a more pleasant working environment.

If you decide to take your diving course at Ban's, I would highly recommend staying somewhere else, regardless of any "discount" you may receive. On the other hand, if you're not diving, run for you life and stay as far away as you can!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank gohabsgo2028
Italy-China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Stayed in Ban's for 4 nights (the rooms are not front beach but Bar/Restaurant/Divign centre are). I chose the cheapest room (600 bath 400 if you dive). Clean , nice with TV (no aircon or hot water but it was more than ok). nice view on the garden/pool. I saw the superior rooms as well: fantastic furniture (kind of romantic)aircon TV very clean. I chose the cheapest coz I was on a budget...
The Diving centre is great and super accessorized , the team of instructors seems great and very freindly. The BAr/restaurant is the place to be for happy hour: instructors and fun divers all over the place. Breakfast was very good (different choices), I haven't tried other food. The lime juice was PERFECT! I am sure in high season this place is a blast!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tittachina
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

I didnt dive at Bans so I cant comment on that side of things but in my opinion the resort is a bit overated. Despite the fact that there are many positives to this resort - friendly staff, a great bar and restaurent, two pools (one of which is great) and a central location, it doesnt make up for the fact that the rooms are small, cramped and uncomfortable. There are much better places to stay in Koh Tao and you can still use all of Bans facilities.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Ban's diving resort is the coolest place on the beach of Koh Tao. It is in the middle of the one and only walk you can take at night, it has many rooms, in the middle of a nice garden with fountains and it is crowded with young people from all over the world. I must say Koh Tao is expensive, we paid 2.400 Bath per night for a double room and although the room was nice, once you are in this beautiful island and you have to spend so much (compared to the average in Thailand, I mean!) I recommend you pick something more isolated and secluded than this one resort.
The place is very lively, there is a nice restaurant at the bottom of the slope where all the rooms are, facing the sea. It has music at night, very loud. We couldn't sleep with our windows open. Obviosuly if you are in target with the Resort you don't go to sleep at 11 p.m. so it is up to you.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

The arrival at the Ban's diving resort wasen't one of the best since it was raining. The pick up from the hotel was at its office right at the pier; it's comfortable if you sit inside the pickup SUV, otherwise you will be sitting on the back on a bench in the open air..and under the rain, wich is not the best thing in the world!
When we arrived at the reception for check in it was really crowded but the check in process ran out very fast and we were escorted to our deluxe garden view room.
The room inside a two story building had a nice decor, a decent size, comfortable bed, a nice balcony with armchair and a table, coffee and tea making facilities, a fridge and air conditioning.
The only downside in the room was the shower in the bathroom without a curtain and a basin, it made the whole bathroom a shower stall.
No wi-fi in the room but there is a free connection around the reception and computers are available also at 2thb per min with a min of 20 min.
The resort restaurant is very nice, right on the beach, there is also a bar
All meals from breakfast to dinner are served at the restaurant, meals were nothing special and once at lunch we ordered some deep fried chicken and it came half raw inside and this is really a big fault, anyway it was promtly replaced. waiters attitude was not always the nicest.
At night live music was played at the bar and disco music after a certain hour, it also seemed the only lively place around.
Some of our friends had problems with the noise coming from the disco at night.
For those who don't dive there are snorkeling daytrips available at the reception for 1.600thb per person, but if you walk on the beach there are water taxi stands were you rent a longtail boat for the whole day with snorkelling gear and drinking water for 2000thb, so even for just two person it's far cheaper and you decide where to go and how long to snorkle.
Can't say nothing about the resort's diving courses since we did not follow any.
The atmosphere at the resort is very relaxed, it gathers at most for his diving courses, overall it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed 3 night in Koh Tao, non divers. We hadnt booked anywhere but got word of mouth Bans was fairly decent. We arrived into the port and there was a rep from Bans there who brought us to the hotel for free which was good, however we didnt tell him we hadnt booked but I dont think that mattered in the end. Staff were friendly. 50 euro a night, 1st night we had a ground floor room, people walking past our door all night, which raised a security alert but Koh Tao is safe enough. 2nd and 3rd night we got a top floor room. Rooms were fairly clean and enough space, no hot water in any of them though. All in all Id stay in Bans again if Koh Tao.

I recommend getting a quad bike for a day and exploring the south island, bring your snorkle gear!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple