“Best Resort in Koh Tao”

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Canada
“Best Resort in Koh Tao”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I stayed in Koh Tao for a few months scuba diving around the island and stayed at a number of different places. Bans was a unique resort because it offered both very popular party hot spot at night for party goers and also separated from the party a quiet romantic experience in comfortable rooms in a beautiful tropical resort setting for those who like a quieter holiday. All the staff I met there were full of life and you could tell they loved their jobs and their lifestyle which says a lot about Bans.

Bans is also one of the largest diving schools on the island. they have 2 big boats that go out, 1 for fun divers, and 1 for students which is awesome for the certified divers because they can go to dive sites that may be too difficult for students just learning to dive, and new students don't have to worry about advanced dive sites for their first dives!

bans was my favorite place in Koh Tao, and I wish I would have discovered it right away on arriving to the island. I have recommended bans to personal friends who have gone there and also loved it. Its a great place to be !!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
israel
Reviewed 19 February 2010

i Have to say i don't see how the people that wrote the reviews didn't ask for a towel or insisted on basic things like change room if it's not good it's THAILAND!!!! you can't expect the same service as Europe or US ans such. never the less when i stayed there with me brothers family and 4 more friends we got every thing we needed a great room good service as long as you ask for it !! great diving .especially safety , and that is very important when diving the diving staff is very good profanely and knows its way in the water the equipment is good as much as possible compared to other dive clubs

I loved the bar on the beach and also why go to the pool when you have a great beach at a walk of 2-5 min from your room????!!!!!! :)

to finish off i recommend the resort as a great dive school and for diving in Thailand
as for the staff on land !!! at some countries manners are different hen others as well as the service you get so for each is a different piece of pie ;) but i Loved Ban's !!!!!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Mülheim
Reviewed 18 February 2010

BANS Diving Resort is a very organized but fun orientaded Dive Resort. In Nov. - Dec. 09 i did ma IDC and Instructor Examen with BANS and it was a lot to learn but a great time, i met a lot of georgous people, made some good friends and had some superior dives in KohTaos spectacular underwater world. The Resort is located directly at the beach, and the rooms and apartments reach up into the hills surrounded by coconut and banana trees. The BANS Resort has two pools in two different levels with bars and food delivery. At the Beach is the Fishbowl, thats the BANS-BEACH-BAR, where every night is like a saturday and DJs and Life Music keep you busy. This is the perfect location to meet people, have a drink after a long day or just to celebrate yourself and the great time you get to spend there. Also next to the beach is the BANS Restaurant, there you get everything, from western food to thai food, served with oceanview in a nice and realxin atmosphere. My time at BANS was great and my next KOH TAO holiday will be for sure at BANS.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I have stayed at Bans lots of times, the place, the staff, the whole set up is great.. as westerners we always seem moan and want something for nothing... I challenge anyone to find a hotel let’s say in London, where you will get better value for money.. lets bear in mind the cost of a room at Bans would not even get you 2 days car parking in London.
Nothing is perfect in life if we all stopped moaning and got on with having a good time and holiday life would be so much easier... I personally could not do the job of the staff there as I wouldn’t have the patience for some of the rude people who stroll into the reception and think they own the place and deserve the world and then discount to.

Bans Resort has some great people working for it , always remember manners and respect will get you far in life anywhere in the world, and I’m sure if asked in the correct manner for something to be changed in a booking , room or anything else the staff will do their best to accommodate any wish and do their best to sort it out if they can.

Another note I cannot believe also in one of the remarks on here someone has said about the price of the diving coarse being more expensive at Bans than another resort ?.... Come on please the difference the person mentioned is what £10?? get a life please how much does a dive coarse cost in let’s say the Caribbean.. Europe?.. classic example of let’s just moan about nothing... the dive instructors at Bans and the whole experience are worth it is all I can say.

I think the place is great and will always stay there when on Koh Tao.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
South Molton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2010

My partner and I booked to stay at Bans for five nights. We were not doing the PADI but did do a one day "discover scuba diving" programme and we booked a standard air con room approximately three weeks in advance of our stay. Upon arrival the reception staff had no record of our booking, the deposit paid or seemingly even the price that we had been quoted and asked me to log into my email account and show them a copy of the confirmation email! We were then led up to a very bog standard, dingy room with twin beds. When I explained that we had booked a double room the member of staff who took us up said "that's ok, we make double bed" and went to push the two twin beds together. When I again explained that this was not what we had booked he said that they were very busy and that there were no double rooms. When I once more expressed by dissatisfaction he told us to wait a minute and, sure enough, came back with a key to a double room.

The room itself is very basic, but then for the price we paid this was to be expected. The room was clean and I have no complaints in this regard, although clearly it has been years since any works were done to modernise or update the standard rooms as they are on the whole quite shabby. The noise at night however was totally unbearable and went on until about 5 or 6am as our room was positioned directly above the main road aswell as a noisy bar. The bed was right next to a large single-pained window which did not close properly, leaving a couple centimetres gap at the bottom. Neither of us got any sleep the first night, and in the subsequent nights it was difficult even with earplugs in.

Don't expect to use either of the swimming pools during the day as they are full up with divers.

When we went down to reception first thing the next day to ask if we could be moved to another room which was not directly above the road and the noisy bar the reception staff were very rude and, frankly, couldn't care less. We were told that they were full. I suggested that we pack our bags and leave them in reception so that if a room came free (which we had already been told was extremely likely as people come and go every day) we could have that room, but we were told that this would only be possible in respect of one of the hillside bungalow rooms which were more than double the price. Throughout our stay the reception staff were very obnoxious and unaccomodating and we found the same thing about the internet cafe (which incidentally is dearer as well as slower than a couple doors down).

In respect of the dive course, I have to say that this was fantastic. We had a Thai lady instructor who was friendly, patient, enthusiastic and clearly very knowledgable. I cannot speak for the PADI or other courses, however I can highly recommend the one day course that Bans offer.

I would wholeheartedly agree with other comments posted to the effect that this place is a "factory". The staff clearly don't give a monkeys unless you are doing a full dive course and even then don't expect service with a smile but expect to be greeted and treated in a very unfriendly manner. To top it all off we were charged a 3% fee to use our card to pay for our stay/ dive trip on the last day. Had I known this in advance I would have drawn cash out of the ATM. When I explained this to the lady at the counter the response was a, frankly quite typical, shrug of the shoulders.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Swansea_Girl_1
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Im writing this review as Ive noticed that there are many negative stories about Bans and I must be honest this baffles me!! I wouldnt normal write reviews but I feel very strongly about defending a place that truly changed my life!
I first went to Bans in the summer of 2008, during my 6 week teaching holiday, I was back packing around Asia and stumbled upon Bans, I was searching for somewhere to stay and dive. I completed my open water course with them and it truly changed my perspective on life (Sounds over the top but true) My Instructor was inspirational. After I left Koh Tao I continued around Asia for 4 weeks. But Koh Tao had a pull on me so I returned towards the end of my trip. I loved diving so much that I completed my Advanced course.
Fast forward 1 year, the draw of Koh TAo and Bans had me, so I quit my job and went back and started my Divemaster course. I stayed with Bans for a further two months.
If it wasnt for the quality instruction and experience I would never have dreamt about going down this path.

But some quick facts:
Food - excellent I especially loved the chicken no name, OK service is not as quick as in the UK but then you are in thailand!
Rooms - free ones are ok but pay more get more .
Diving - Outstanding!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Koh Tao is very expensive. This room was in the cheap end. Medium size room with bath and balcony. Very hard matress. No AC, noisy fan. No safe. No hot water in shower. Rundown furniture. Minimal cleaning; the room seemed "unfresh". Did not change towels during our stay (5 nights). Nice pool-area nearby. Noisy generator behind house.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple