“Recommended”

Ranked #44 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London
“Recommended”
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Thipwimarn for 3 days with friends in May. We very much enjoyed our stay. The hotel is quite far up the one island road past Sairee beach and has great views of the sea and is in a beautiful open air setting with a pretty, if very small, pool area. The hotel staff were very friendly and helped with our arrangements, including collecting us from the ferry, arranging the return ferry ticket and transport and booking a long tail boat to take a group of us round the island and snorkel. We never ate dinner in the hotel but enjoyed our lunches there.

Koh Tao is still a relatively basic island and so do not expect luxury resorts or very sophisticated infrastructure. Whilst an advantage, in my view, to be away from Sairee beach, it does mean that you are dependent on transport to get to the beach and town. Motorbikes are easy to hire but we relied on taxis. We found the pricing system of taxis slightly frustrating (the hotel-arranged taxi charged a set rate of 100 baht per person – irrespective of how many people filled the back of the truck – and the return price at night seemed to depend on the price agreed by all the taxi drivers that day which seemed to rise if it was raining). The hotel provides a daily transport to the port but insisted on depositing us at the port an hour and a quarter before the ferry leaves which was slightly frustrating when there were just 2 of us leaving in low season. The hotel beach is down a long climb and is not really what I would consider a beach – just a very small stone area. It looked like there was building work being done and I think the development of a slightly more sophisticated beach area/pier would be a great addition to the hotel, especially as the water is very clear around the rocks. All in all, I would definitely recommend the hotel.

Stayed May 2007

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2007

This hotel looked really great on thoese pictures available on web. It was so cheap compare to other well known thai super stylish resort hotels. Maybe this is a hidden jem! So I booked. But I was let down by the reality of this place. First of all, I had a big big problem to check in. I paid almost everything in advance as a deposit but they said they didn't receive my money. After vey long argument I was given a mobile tel number of the owner who was in Bangkok. I was told that I should speak to him directly. I was shocked, why should I make a phone call to the ownerl?? For what? Isn't it yor job??
Anyway, it was clear thoese receptionist are not interested in sorting things out for me, so I rang him. The owner was cleary annoyed by getting phone call from unknown guest. I think he was on the way to somewhere becuase all I could hear was Bangkok trafic noise, and him shouting at me something like 'no money no stay'. In the end he hung up saying he was too busy to talk to me.
To cut the long story short I got a room in the end after another 20 min long conversation with reception staff. I almost felt leaving this place but I paid in advance so I had no choice.

My villa was actually nice and I was very pleased to have very spacious outdoor place. But there was minor problem with electricity. You can only activate electricity by putting your room key in the box which is atttached to the wall. If you take the key out from that box everything will stop including AC and fridge. So there was no chance of getting cold bear after comming back from long day on the beach. I thought about leaving the key in the box to keep my drinks cold but there was big warning sign next to the box that hotel will charge a penalty who are leaving the key in the box in order to keep the AC on or fridge cold ( I forgot how much but it was really a lot )

Food was Ok but not great. It was always hit and miss. There was a red curry dish I liked so I ordered three times during my stay but it was always different taste.

Pool, oh yes, they have nice pool and I enjoyed a lot, but it is slightly small for all hotel guests to sit around.

Private beach was a joke. How can you call that as a private beach? And it was coverd by all sorts of rubbish. In fact entire island was covere by rubbish, so I guess it is not a surprise.

I love beach holiday and I am a big fan of thai food that is why I choose this location but it was a mistake. I should just gone to my usual beach holiday location - Maldives.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled solo
2 Thank onigiri2

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 5 April 2007

If you looking for peace and quiet, this is the place for you. It is situated on the side of a cliff with the bungalows and their balonies overlooking the sea.
The beach is at the bottom of endless stairs - gave up counting after 200 but the snorkelling is worth the climb.
The restaurant served delicious food, with great service (thanks Sam) The kitchen was very accommodating with some of the changes to the menu we requested.
The main 'town' and beach is about 15 - 20mins easy walk and the hotel will organise a lift back for 100baht. They also organise lifts to different beaches every day so you can get to see the island.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank LeeBZA
San Diego de la Frontera, California
Reviewed 2 March 2007

A dive shop operator on Koh Tao itself recommended this hotel after our reservations at another one fell through.
She warned us it was pricey, at least as far as Koh Tao went.
It was far less than I expected and worth every penny several times over.
The hotel is charming, perfect for a romantic getaway. The restaurant's food was delicious and the outdoor dining area, with an incredible view of the bay, was fantastic.
The rooms, with their private balconies, offer a lot of privacy and are beautiful.

• Liked — The ambiance and the rooms
  • Disliked — The steep walk up and down many stairs. The hotel is built on a cliff face.
  • Stayed March 2005, travelled as a couple
1 Thank El_Tapatío
London
Reviewed 17 January 2007

Just come back from 3 fab nights at The Thip (wanted to stay longer but was fully booked). Beautiful hotel perched up in the trees. Paid 3000 baht for superior room with A/C but cold water shower (the only room which didn't have hot water). Rooms are quite small but nicely decorated and have good views looking down to the sea. Excellent breakfast - eggs benedict, pancakes etc and good dinner selection and reasonably priced and really friendly waiters. Lovely open restaurant overlooking the bay with amazing sunsets. Quite small pool area but has lovely infinity pool. Nice spa with rooms overlooking the sea with good range of treatments tho quite expensive compare to other places. Is a bit of a walk to Sairee but hotel gives free taxis into town twice a day and then 50 baht other times.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank tam75
Tyreso
Reviewed 8 January 2007

Short pros and cons:

Superb Views
Nice Tranquillity
Friendly Staff (some of them)
Nice architecture and superb environment
Free transfer to beaches, however some beaches are not free...

Better in pics than reality
Corresponds to 3+ star in Europe
Really bad and poor breakfast, no buffet. Must add more money for more coffee or juice
Food ok in taste but beware of it: me and several guests got really bad for 3-4 days and had to stay in the bungalows vomishing non-stop due to either bad food or water they serve. Drink always coca-cola, beer or wine! I was 10 kilos lighter after my vacation...
Dirty "beach" filled with cans, garbage and construction material that could be really nice if one of the 3 garden guys spent little time there instead of smoking and removing leaves and same spot every day
Deluxe bungalow not larger than other bungalows, max 20-25 sqm, they include all terrace sqm! A cheap surround system is the difference. Not worth the large price difference.

General:
Water surrounding KohTao was disappointingly polluted, filled with small particles making the scuba diving and snorkeling less great than expected. Not like Maldives. Many sharks, though. In 2005 I swam with baby whale shark !

Worth a stay for max 2-3 days. We stayed 2 weeks.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Relaxboy
Merimbula, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2006

We stayed for 4 nights, the best part was evening dinner time. The resort is perched a couple of hundred feet up a steep hillside and looks west over the ocean and part of Sairee bay. The restaurant has a great garden setting and a wonderful sunset view across the water, one can eat indoor at ordinary tables or on the balcony seated on the floor - Thai style, nearly everyone chose the balcony, including us in our 50's. Between the perfect temperature (end Dec ie coolest time of the year), well chosen relaxing music, the spectacular view, excellent food and good service the place was just mesmerising. I noticed that we and some of the other guests would stay for an hour or so after finishing dinner as you just didn't want to break the mood. The view didn't end at sunset as the bay had about 20 fishing boats which turned their lights on at sunset.

Other pluses, friendly staff (excellent English at the front desk), great garden setting, nicely decorated room, only 11 rooms,. The pool is small but every bit as beautiful as elsewhere described. A free use PC for catching up on that email adjacent to the front desk.

Negatives; not on Sairee beach (walkable if enthusiastic but steep coming back), room smallish even in the honeymoon suite we stayed in, the bathroom/toilet is small and separated from the main room by a couple of metre of being in public view which was annoying as you had to be "decent" moving between the two. The rooms curtains barely covered the windows. Unlike most other sites resort sites which I looked at the room charges on their web site don't include VAT and service charges.

I spoke with one guy who was staying at Sairee Cabana, he said that he liked the rooms better there but each night he came to dinner at Thipwimarn as the food and setting was much better. He said Cabana didn't serve evening meals and the lunches were not good.

Finally it is a steep walk down to the rocky beach, there was a bit of flotsam hanging around and you felt isolated, overall the entry was just not inviting. It looks like no one uses the spot. To my surprise once in the water it was quite attractive with coral straight off the "beach" and quite a lot of tropical fish.

• Liked — restaurant spectacular
  • Disliked — 2 metre publicly viewable space and steps between room and bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Bookings seemed to be fairly heavy for the resort
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Sapphire_beach