“Beautiful but relativly expensive”
Review of Charm Churee Villa

Charm Churee Villa
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Wonderful resort with nice intergration in the surrounding natur. Short way to the town/shops/bars (15 min) Magnificent small privat bay with clean beach, might be a little bit overcrowded sometimes, nut plenty other beaches in walking distance. Beautiful small reef with plenty of fish in snorkeling distance. Great diving school mith reasonable courses in small groups (open water diver arround 9000 TBH). Many steep steps which might be a problem for baby carts or handicaped people. Great spa (better to make early reservations)! Accomodation is quite costy, but service / food very moderate. AC Bungalows simple but really fitting to the nature concept. Great personal service. Appartments next to reception (small steep street) might be harmed by noise due to people and material transport (8:30am-8:00 pm) by motor golf cart. The rest is very silent. Mosquitos!

- wonderful peaceful resort, a little bit costy due to good recommendations in several travel guides.
- not unique, other good resorts with same concept in the surrounding
- for honeymooners, families and other people who just want to relax with good comfort.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 February 2010

My family (my wife and two 18-year old sons and a 13-year old daughter) and I stayed in Charm Churee for the second time. Although rather much had changed since last time (in 2008), all the important things were the same. Fantastic snorkeling directly from our cottage, perfect weather all 8 days, and extremely nice and friendly staff, especially Ms Jane Chontawee who always greeted us with a smile and help us in every possible way. Ms Chontawee an important reason why we are considering to go back to Charm Churee.

Koh Tao is a very pleasant island with lot’s of nice restaurants and shops. Two restaurants that we especially enjoyed were café del sol (really nice pizzas and drinks), Big Blue East and Papa’s Tapas (the two chefs are from Sweden and the food is excellent). Big Blue is a good place if you want to try scubadiving.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GothenburgProfessor
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Charm Churee Villas was not what I was expecting and so I was disappointed. It is not a beachside resort with romantic view points however it is very jungle-like, secluded and closed in. The rooms were very clean, you get three bottles of drinking water every day and the grounds are kept quite well. There are a lot of stairs to go everywhere and you sometimes feel that you are lost in a maze. The beach was quite far from our room and was not sandy nor sunny; it is a small pebbly cove with very clear water, tons of fish but very quiet, no waves. The buffet breakfast was very good but the one time that we went to supper the food was poor and overpriced, the service was terrible and the loud music was annoying. No pool! There is a lovely trail that takes you right into town, approx 10 min walk, very nice. It is a nice enough resort if you are looking to pay for all the little extras but it is not a beachside, tropical retreat.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2010

The room was very beautiful and comfortable, the shower was something i have never seen - open completely. Its a little bit wird in the begining but after it is prety nice. the hotel beach is a little small and almost all the time in the shade but in total a b great place to stay if you are on a honeymoon or just seeking quiet time alone.

I got special deal with this hotel..?
I sugested for best rate please visit http://www.kotaohotels.net

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank wie-yoga
Reviewed 9 February 2010

All in all a lovely place to stay. The room was lovely, we had a garden room, one of the cheaper ones but it still had a real boutique feel, rustic yet chic decor with. Positioned up the hill slightly in the trees and built sllightly into the rock. The bedroom was decorated simply but prettily with bright pink cushions that corresponded with the wall around the bottom of the bed. The bathroom was fine, we had no problems with the shower and had plentiful hot water but we were there during a lovley sunny period. The little veranda was great for chilling oout in with a cold beer from the outside fridge mini bar.

In terms of location we thougt it was perfect and allowed us to be far enough away from the action of Sairee to feel secluded yet you can walk there along the beach in 20 mins if you want to be somewhere a little more lively (with the port etc en route so a fun walk). Janson Bay itself is small and steep with great fish so wonderful for those who like to snorkel. I am more of a laze on the beach and paddle girl so it was not so great for me as there wa limited sun bed space in spaces where there was actually sun instead of shade alo I found the fish a bit nippy - if you stayed still in the shallow end they tended to nip you - call me stupid but I didn't even know that fish could bite / suck hard, much to my boyfriend's amusement.

There is a another beach - I forget what it's called but as you walk down to Jansom you will see a sign for it saying 800m. My boy and I though that would be a piece of cake so took the trail to the other beach. Be warned it's not a simple trek, it takes about 20 mins and at times I was on my hands and knees but it was lovely when we got there, pretty quiet and much bigger than Jansom but make sure you leave enough time to get back before dark scrabbling over the rocks or,, as we did, get a boat home.

Other only thing to probably mention is the whole resor is built into the side of a steep hill so there is a lot of up and down when walking around, not a biggy but something to bear in mind. The whole island is a little like this so just representative of that really.

We had a super time in Koh Tao all in all and would definitely recommend - not just foro divers - over and out

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monkey3000
Reviewed 8 February 2010

This was the last real stop on our tour of Thailand and I'm glad that we chose to come here. All we wanted was somewhere close to the beach on a Thai island and were recommended to go here. When the boat docked we were met by the hotel staff and driven to the hotel and on arrival I said it would be nice to be right by the sea and I don't think we could have been closer. Our room was 3 steps, yes 3!, away from the beach/sea, and at high tide the bottom step was under water :-) I was in paradise. Our room was cosy and built into the rocks with additional access to the shower from beach so no traipsing sand through the room. We were in heaven, it was a beautiful location right next to the spa, near a bar, we had our own private sunbeds. Although we had a fairly small room it was just what we were after following a long trip around the country. We had breakfast in the hotel and it was nice enough, the standard breakfast in Thailand hotels. Dinner we had once by room service which came quickly and was still hot, once in the main restaurant, which you sat on the floor on mats with a little bell to ring if you wanted anything, which was odd but fun and once we walked into town, which only took about 15mins via the beach path and we just followed the signs in. The hotel were even nice enough to supply a torch to see on the way. We hired a kayak from the hotel and paddled to Shark Island, which was hard work but beautiful. My other half had 3.5 hours in the spa and I must say it was expensive compared to the rest of the country but it was spa hotel. However she did say that it was worth every penny and they were really knowledgeable and good a what they did, she came back glowing and totally relaxed.
We were also lucky enough to see a wedding on the beach whilst we were there and what a location to have it. I must say that the staff were great, really friendly and helpful and I thought the location, although lots of steps, was out of this world.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank caliente1359
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We arrived and were picked up from the boat by the Hotel staff. The check in was smooth and went to our room. The place is just wonderful, peaceful and huge.
The pricing was acceptable for the location and the service. The staff all are just wonderful. We went snorkeling and the Hotel provided us with free snorkel gear ( no flippers as it is not allowed on the beach). The beach is private so it never gets crowded and there is a bar and spa close to the beach. I tried the Spa and though the prices and it was worth every Baht. Fantastic professional service.
I felt true luxury in staying here, no so much with amenities, but the mere fact that I am thousands of miles away from home, lying on a deck stair, the waves beating upon the rocks on a tropical island... this is what my holiday is all about. My wife opted to do a scuba course and this was offered by the resort by foreign professionals which she described as excellent.

Pros: This was the highlight of my trip to Thailand. I stayed in lots of hotels and resorts and for me this was the best.
The selection and quantity and quality of food available at breakfast was superb.

I'd go back there any day.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family