“Excellent snorkling”
Review of Charm Churee Villa

Charm Churee Villa
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This hotell is a bit strange. Our room was very spacious, even with two extra beds. I think that the rates are a bit too high for this hotell, and the breakfast wasn't appealing to me. The best thing about this hotel is the beach - not the lack of parasoles, but the amazing coral reefs and the fish. Snorkling was just so much fun! We even saw a coral shark 3 times! Location - it's just 10 minutes to walk to town. We ate at a small restaurant called Paprika which had very good food. If you have bad knees, this isn't the right hotel for you - there are a lot of steps everywhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CoctailsAndDreams

Reviewed 9 July 2010

something very different. the highs:
- night restaurant was spectacular (service, food and especially the location)
- Janson Bay is great
- the rooms although rustic are something really different and the views are awesome

The lows
- was travelling with a 6 & 7 year old and a 60+ granny. the kids loved it although no pool. however the walking got a little much for the 60+ person. we were close the the bay (4 villas away).

during our stay we had no phone service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We got to Koh Tao in the morning after a overnight ferry because the ferry to Koh Pangan was canceled.
So we decided to take a walk leaving our baggage at the ferry office hunting for a home.
Over the small mountain we checked out few resorts on the island.
But this resort pulled me in despite of the price range. Because they used what the location was offering rather then discarding them like other resorts.
Yes it might look more rustic then it could be but if you really want to feel where you're it's a good place. Yet all the rooms were very clean too.
If you're only traveling with your partner please book room number 23.
Among all the other expensive rooms at the resort's private beach, it's the cheapest room in the resort-around100 USD. The room is right in front of the beach- unlike others that you need to walk a fair amount of sweating - I'm not even mentioning the view from your lounge.
The moment you enter, you will see a rock behind your sitting area, when you go in side the bed room, you will see the other half of the rock right next to your bed, you go into the toilet, you see another big rock next to you and the shower is hidden between rocks outside. I loved the character of the room after seeing few rooms in the resort.
The food at Starlight restaurant was good too. - Lamb salad was the favorite.
Feeding bread to the fish after breakfast was another good reason got me out of the bed.
Snorkling wise - we went on canoe to the other side of beach as well - Mango beach takes about two hours of relaxing rowing - but I have to say just in front of the hotel isn't bad at all. Since it's a private beach people might not know to compare. But the Mango beach was recommended as the best one in Koh Tao and it's similar to the hotel!
Rent a Canoe and row out a bit, to the three rocks in front, around the corner and the restaurant area. It's a lot more fun then swimming inside.
I'm not sure when I will go back but I hope the room #23 will be still available for me. :)

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Beautiful villas sensitively set in the hill around Jansom Bay. Very friendly staff, nice (although pricy) restaurant. The only warning - staying at Charm Churee involves a lot of walking up and down stairs - due to the design of the place. It is worth it though ...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We had just a one night stay recently, and had a ball. The place really is rustic, but very comfortable and clean. The big drawcard was the great snorkeling right there at your doorstep...the little bay has wonderful array of fish and coral and the visibility is very good.
We spent the first few hiours just snorkeling at the reesort before making the short walk into town and getting a long boat just for us and went right around the island stopping at three spots for more snorkeling.

Once back at the resort we had a great dinner at very reasonable prices with a beautiful view of the water...I would highly recommend this place particularly if you are looking for snorkeling and great service.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Before we got to Charm Churee I cut my foot on a coral reef so I wasn't able to walk normally and had to walk around on wooden crutches.. Charm Churee is on a hill slope (which is quite charming in normal cirmcumstances!) so for me it was quite a challenge to go around.. but, wow! the service at Charm Churee was so good.. we got an upgraded room so I could move around the resort more easily, free room service, etc. The personnel was always considerate and helpful (saving and providing rubber bands for my improvised heel protection :)). So though I couldn't snorkel or swim, I still had a great time at Charm Churee!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We have been there mid- April 2010. We stayed 4 nights in a “panorama room”
When booking we requested for an early check-in but it was not possible apparently because the resort was full during this “Thai new year” period.
The check-in was just ok: the staff who took care of us had some difficulties to make herself understood and seemed too tired to smile.
She told us that they had upgraded us (good news) to a panorama room. But we had booked and already paid for a panorama room! She then realized that she mixed our file with someone else.
So we asked if she has really upgraded us....... no, she hasn't.

The room was nice, my wife loved the way it was furnished. It had a large open balcony with view on the bay. Even if the view was partially blocked by the big coconut trees, we really appreciated it and I particularly enjoyed to stay and relax on the balcony.
The resort is built on the flank of a hill which slopes down to the sea. There are trees and bushes all over the area. To access to the sea you climb down a small steep track. I guess it is not recommended with little children and certainly not with a baby cart. There is no real beach, just a small patch of peebles west of the resort.
We have tested the restaurant twice. If you do not mind sitting on the floor, the atmosphere of the terrace is charming and romantic. Even if the décor is nice and,we did not really like it. The food is just ok, the service on the casual side. And when I wrote romantic, it is so if you do not mind having the guest of the table behind you resting literally on your back. To increase the revenue they have set too many tables for the size of the terrace. And I am certainly someone who could endure some discomfort, who could accept some compromise if it is to admire the sea during my dinner, but we were there an evening without moon, so couldn't see anything.....

The breakfast area is really nice and agreeable. There is plenty of good quality food and the fact that you can admire the sea and ponder on the marvel of the world when enjoying your cup of tea is certainly a positive point.

All day long and even during the evening, there are very noisy boats crossing the bay and the hill acts like a resonance chamber. Some can found this “typical” others will be very annoyed by the continuous sound disturbing their nap and rest. I really did not like it and would not recommend the resort if only for that.
During the night your sleep can be disturbed by the sound of the discos of the town.

Erick

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dinha_et_Erick
benruji, manager at Charm Churee Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2010

dear sir,

thank you very much for your review. we really appreciated it. we are sorry that you had some bad experience with our resort during your stay. please allow me to explain.

first of all, the period that you came was the "songkran festival" (the thai new year approx.9-16 april of every year). this is when Thais have the longest holidays and it's the peak season for traveling. it's equivalent to christmas + new year to the rest of the world.

hence, this is the busiest season for us and for koh tao. so there will be people come and go and enjoy themselves. we admit that our resort is fully booked and had 100% capacity for a whole week. therefore, our staff had to put on extra hard work to cope with this. for this reason, we apologise that our reception might have been confused because of lack of rest.

secondly, for the restaurant, it was packed and we had to accommodate everyone at the same time because they had limited time so we tried our best.

thirdly, the noise from the boat and the faraway discos, again, we are sorry that you had to endure it, but for the same reasons, the other entrepreneurs (the boat owners and the club owners) tried to make the most out of it. we, unfortunately, have no control over them.

we understand that this was your holiday and we tried our best to serve you, as well as other guests - to be fair, please be sympathetic to our position. your empathy and understanding is highly appreciated.